Anyone remember Climax or Fanny's in Dronfield?

Had a text telling me about a Climax & Fanny's revival night at the Hearty Oak pub in Dronfield Woodhouse.

The event is on Friday 27th January from 8pm to 1am with free entry and 2-for-1 cocktails for the ladies!

Music from the 80s and 90s played by DJ Niko.

Both venues bit before my time but may go anyway as its close to home! The Hearty Oak pub is on Northern Common, bus 43A or 89 (http://www.derbysbus.info/times/index.htm) will get you there and I'm sure Dronfield taxis will get you home...

Or why not get there early and try the pub food - its quite nice - see http://www.heartyoak.com

Edited by Andy C

Yes they are both SHUT now

long since. Climax is now a fishing tackle shop and Fanny's a cheap carvery.

I always used to think that the girls in Fannys were quite shallow and only interested in blokes who had the keys to a posh car in their pocket.

On occasion I managed to lead one on to believe that I did have the keys to a posh car in my pocket, but I didn't even have a car at the time.

:)

I always used to think that the girls in Fannys were quite shallow and only interested in blokes who had the keys to a posh car in their pocket.

On occasion I managed to lead one on to believe that I did have the keys to a posh car in my pocket, but I didn't even have a car at the time.

:)

Oh the old "Are those car keys in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?"

I thought there was a climax in fannys

:hihi:

well one thing leads to the other...

I remember both very well.

Climax was an in vogue bar for a relatively short time I think? It was like a pub until 10pm then they started charging for entry and opened up some dancing area I seem to recall. It seemed to be popular with those who were also clientele of Fanny's at Owler Bar. I suppose the two weren't so far away from each other. Certainly, me and some mates used to start at Climax and then go on to Fanny's - the joke was always told the other way around of course.

Fanny's at Owler Bar had been a nightclub called "Fiveways" before that. I can just vaguely recall it had a skeleton in a coffin by the side of the dance floor for some reason. Either that, or it was a bloke like me who had left it too late to pull and never made it out of there.

There was a bit of a circuit in those days and some of us would go for a drink at the Wagon and Horses in Millhouses - which was really a trendy place back then. It would more or less guarantee you a sneak preview of who was going to be in Fanny's later as many moved on to Fanny's from there.

I really liked Fanny's (nightclub);). It used to attract some classy young ladies, many of whom had their own transport. I was a young kid at the time with not a lot of brass and no car - so the prospect of meeting a girl who could spare me the freezing goodnight snog at the bus stop was very appealing. I was lucky, I met a few nice girls there who were "self-transporting". :heyhey:

I remember a ginger haired guy called George who worked on the door too. He was always friendly, unlike some of the apes that normally do that job.

Fanny's was one of 2 "upmarket" kind of places back in those days. The other was Scamps (previously the Penny Farthing and later Isabellas). This is before Josephine's came on the scene btw.

Other clubs in town were Samantha's (above the Silver Blades skate rink), which was a big Northern soul venue, with a good crowd, Top Rank (later named Steely's) which was usually a good night out with a mixed crowd - huge venue so never seemed that busy, Genevieve on Charter Square - which was pretty upmarket too but a little bit rougher on occasions than Scamps - Baileys down near the black Swan pub - Crazy Daisy, Penthouse (drugs n rockers). There was also a good scene up at Netheredge Hall in those days - changed it's name to "Turn ups". Nice crowd too - mixed age range from young to old in there.

I can remember been 16 years old and trying to get into Fannys. I think it closed not long after I turned 18.

I used to go to Climax a lot though back in the day. Me and my mates would go to Hanrahans and then get a taxi to Climax.

Good times, I wonder where the years have gone, only seems like yesterday. My life is completely different now, I hardly go out past 11pm these days.

Edited by verona
spelling