Rotherham Beer Festival 2011

Bit disappointed about the change of venue to be honest (it's at Magna this year). Does anyone know why it changed?

Seems like the middle of nowhere and would need to rely on the Worstbus 69 to get there, or walk some distance from the tram stop.

Used to like having a crawl around Rotherham afterwards too, as it was on the way back.

Also, I can't see that there is any discount for CAMRA members this year?

isnt there some work going on at Oakwell? I think its a long term aim for Magna to keep the festival now too and make it the bigest in the uk

There was some talk of some work starting at Oakwood, but since the Cam/Clegg scissor machine rolled into town its now either nowhere near as extensive, if at all.

I'll shed a tear not being able to attend in my old school, and I cant for the life of me see it being any better at Magna.

From around rotherham site:

Festival 2 - 5 March 2011

For 2011 onwards the venue will be the Magna Science and Adventure Centre and NOT Oakwood Technical College. Tickets will be available from 1 January 2011 (probably) South Yorkshire Tourist Offices, Rotherham Tourist Office, Rotherham Central Library, Rotherham ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons (Parkgate & Bramley), Local Pubs, and shops, Rotherham CAMRA or by post - awaiting new address, and website http://www.magnarealale.co.uk/tickets.htm.

All sessions are open to the public.

- Wednesday/Thursday Open 6.30pm to 11pm. Advance tickets £7.50, On the Door £9.00.

- Friday 6.30pm to 110pm Advance tickets £9.50 On the Door £11.00.

- Saturday 12noon to 11pm Advance tickets £7.50 On the Door £9.00.On Saturday, the bars will close between 5:30pm and 6:30pm. You will be able to remain in the Festival during this break.

With ticket prices increasing significantly, and no doubt the voucher prices following suit, I think and secretly hope it goes tits up and gets back to the original venue.

Edited by CaptainChaos
Added Info

I'll shed a tear not being able to attend in my old school, and I cant for the life of me see it being any better at Magna.

Aye, it is my old school also ;)

I'm not involved with this event but here is what I know...

Last year was the last ever Oakwood Real Ale & Music festival, which was a very successfull event held each year to raise money for the school (Oakwood Technology College). The school raised a hell of a lot of money from the festival and it operated with the support of local branches of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) who provided a lot of volunteer staff and expertise.

The reason it ended was a combination of a new headteacher that wasn't as enthusiastic about the event and the fact the building was due to be replaced (although I am led to believe this investment has been cancelled due to government funding cuts).

However, the committee that had been organising the Oakwood festival was still keen to have a festival and are starting the new Rotherham Real Ale & Music Festival at Magna, to raise money for various local charities (including Sheffield's Weston Park Hospital). The management at Magna are supporting this charitable event by offering venue hire free of charge.

The festival will be run on similar grounds to Oakwood with around 200 real ales on handpump plus foreign bottled beers, wine, cider, perry, soft drinks and food. Also as at Oakwood, there will be live entertainment.

Magna is a bigger venue than Oakwood school, so should be less crowded and won't have the situation of people being turned away on the Friday night.

The theme for the inaugral Magna beer festival, to be held from the 2nd to 5th March 2011, is 'White Rose', so all the beers will be from Yorkshire or other White Rose counties. Tickets will be available to buy in advance from pubs or online at a discount, otherwise pay on the door.

To get there, bus route 69 passes the venue (operated by First in the daytime, Stagecoach in the evening) plus special festival shuttle buses are planned to operate from Meadowhall and Rotherham.

Festival website: http://www.magnarealale.co.uk/

It has been confirmed there is a discount on the door for CAMRA members on production of a valid current membership card.

The CAMRA members admission price, including glass, is £4 on Friday night, £3.50 on Saturday and £2 on Wednesday/Thursday.

To get to the festival from Sheffield:

Bus 69 (Sheffield-Rotherham) passes the venue, this service is operated by First in the daytime and Stagecoach in the evening. In addition, Special Festival Shuttle buses will operate from Meadowhall and Rotherham for a flat fare of just £1.

wow...thats such a shame...i have been there a few times, oakwood is where it has always been and should stay....

Having worked in the beer tent at Oakwood, in near-zero temperatures, with a broken heating system, I can see some positives for moving it to Magna :hihi:

Magna is more convenient for us coming from Sheffield.

We'll probably get the Supertram to Meadowhell and then the bus to Magna.

Had it remained at Oakwood we wouldn't bother attending.

Regards

Doom

Lot Better With It Being At Magna.

Magna is more convenient for us coming from Sheffield.

We'll probably get the Supertram to Meadowhell and then the bus to Magna.

Had it remained at Oakwood we wouldn't bother attending.

Regards

Doom

Have you been there yet Doom?