What makes a good late night bar/club ?

:help:

Looking for feedback relating to the City Centre only ...

What would you like to see in the City Centre?

1) More or less late night clubs or bars? Why?

2) More or less bars? Why?

2) smaller or bigger venues? Why?

Doing a bit of market research as it were, and hers your opportunity to complain or suggest! ;)

What do you are the key ingredients to make a successful bar/club/pub in the City Centre?

Any comments welcome.

...and many thanks.... :):)

We need more late bars in a complex like Leopold Square, or somewhere where there are 4 or 5 bars all under the same area that share an outside space.

Most bars have NO smoking areas outside, although I'm a non smoker myself I have friends who smoke and it would be nice to be outside but not in the doorway.

There are enough bars, but the standard could be improved especially on West St.

A replacement for Gatecrasher One is desperately needed, the only club that comes close is Plug.

Despearately needed???

Is that a joke.

:loopy:

comes close, as in the nearest club geographically to where gatecrasher was or

comes close as in plays shocking house/dance/trance for the masses and smells like a bag of frozen chicken nuggets left in the sun

Edited by MatthewBell
error

Despearately needed???

Is that a joke.

:loopy:

comes close, as in the nearest club geographically to where gatecrasher was or

comes close as in plays shocking house/dance/trance for the masses and smells like a bag of frozen chicken nuggets left in the sun

Obviously you don't appreciate a good nightclub and prefer the likes of the Corporation.

Gatecrasher was just another city centre club towards the end playing mainstream music to a *slightly* more dressed up mainstream crowd - fair enough - it did it well - but I'm not sure what the big deal was - the days of it being a nationally renown club night were well behind it when it burnt down...

I dont think a big club that wasnt also a live venue would work anymore - the changes to licensing (late bars etc) and culture means there just isnt the market there once was

is it as much to do with location ie city centre as size then?

where would the ideal location be and what size? :love:

We need more late bars in a complex like Leopold Square, or somewhere where there are 4 or 5 bars all under the same area that share an outside space.

Totally agree with this. Leopold Square is a great place to spend an evening.

I think location is most important. I don't like going to out of way places. geographicaly something on west st or division st or one of the interlinking roads would be good. Not too big, a capacity between 300 and 500 would be good, preferably with 2 rooms and a late license to 5 or 6am on weekend.

is it as much to do with location ie city centre as size then?

where would the ideal location be and what size? :love:

Definitely, open up a great bar down where Yates, Lloyds and Embrace is and you won't attract the right people.

Open one up in a residential estate and you'll get the neighbours complaining all the time.

Open one up in an out of town retail complex and well, we all know what happened to Club Wow.

Thanks to New Labour the vast majority of Bar/Club owners are cryin in there beer and are heavly dependant on prozac !! Good luck....

Thanks to New Labour the vast majority of Bar/Club owners are cryin in there beer and are heavly dependant on prozac !! Good luck....

Maybe you've forgotton it was New Labour that lifted the need for bar to show there was a "demand" (and so the creation of all the new bars in Sheffield & other cities) plus they relaxed licensing laws...

The licensing laws were perfectly ok ! Relaxin them has been an unmitigated disaster..If you think otherwise you probably think Gordon Brown has been a good prime minister :loopy: