West Street Live - Jared the DJ

So, having been a regular at WSL for the past couple of years, I have had mainly good times, until earlier this year when they got a new DJ in.

I have enjoyed many a night in there listening to some proper decent rock and good old tunes, but alas it would seem that recently this was not to be the case.

On the past few occasions that Jared has been DJing it has been poor at best, it would seem that his catologue is severley limited and he has no interest in expanding it.

I saw the other DJ in there tonight (Muzz) and asked him why he wasn't DJing and to sort out some good tunage. I appreciate people need a night off from time to time.

But seriously Jared you were pants, you can get almost anything on ITunes playing the standard Rock cheese just because people are drunk is not the way to go.

As I said, I have been a regualr in there for a couple of years, sort it out or you will start haemorraging customers.

I agree. Muzz will play almost anything rock related for you and if he doesn't have it, he can usually find it. Jared's playlist does seem severely limited.

However slightly off topic, the Bowie Contingent last night were brilliant . . as always!

I agree. Muzz will play almost anything rock related for you and if he doesn't have it, he can usually find it. Jared's playlist does seem severely limited.

However slightly off topic, the Bowie Contingent last night were brilliant . . as always!

They weren't bad, I wasn't overly impressed with their 'Life on Mars' though.

I really can't understand how Jared can call himself a DJ in a venue that plays primarily rock and then plead that he can't get the music.

Like I said before, he either needs to sort it out or get Muzz back on more weekends!!

I'll drink to that.

Muzz seriously knows how to DJ in a rock venue. I haven't been in for a month or two and I didn't know he wasn't there any longer. He was practically running the place a year ago.

I'll drink to that.

Muzz seriously knows how to DJ in a rock venue. I haven't been in for a month or two and I didn't know he wasn't there any longer. He was practically running the place a year ago.

He's still there but only does a couple of weekends a month and the other Saturdays, it's generally Jared. :mad:

Thank you for your feedback and I take on board the point that I need to expand my collection a great deal. However, in my defence whilst I appreciate that not everyone can like every song I play, I must emphasise that we are not a rock bar we are a music bar and that means all genres of popular music. I know a few of our customers would love us to be a dedicated rock bar but that is not in our plans at present.

My job is to play songs that are as famous and popular as possible to keep the majority of the crowd happy (and please bear in mind that we are based on West Street and most people who go out on West Street are not rock obsessives) rather than pander exclusively to one element of our clientele (the rock and metal fans). And I, and indeed the rest of our management team, feel I do this successfully.

However, despite all this, many people will be happy to know that we are in fact going down a more rock orientated route on Fridays (with exceptions such as when Highway Child or The Bowie Contingent play) and you'll have DJ Lez of the Nelson fame to keep all you rockers happy. Saturdays however will remain more indie and pop orientated with a good few of the more famous rock numbers thrown in, with some exceptions where DJ Mad Muzz will cover.

Edited by Jared

Thank you for your feedback and I take on board the point that I need to expand my collection a great deal. However, in my defence I appreciate that whilst I appreciate that not everyone can like every song I play, I must emphasise that we are not a rock bar we are a music bar and that means all genres of popular music. I know a few of our customers would love us to be a dedicated rock bar but that is not in our plans at present.

But it has been the bread an butter of the pub and it's clientele for a number of years, the base crowd is a rock crowd, some old school, some new, you risklosing these. This is where your money is.

My job is to play songs that are as famous and popular as possible to keep the majority of the crowd happy

Which means expanding your music collection significantly. Last night could have been played from chesy Greatest hits albums, my 7 year old could have done it.

(and please bear in mind that we are based on West Street and most of our customers like 'lowest common denominator' music)

You just slagged of your whole clientele and have basically said on a very public forum that your punters like **** music. I for one will state that this is incorrect, and you need to look at what you actually think of your customers than just playing any old crap because they are drunk.

rather than pander exclusively to one element of our clientele (the rock and metal fans). And I, and indeed the rest of our management team, feel I do this successfully.

Again, some of the clientele will disagree.

However, despite all this, many people will be happy to know that we are in fact going down a more rock orientated route on Fridays (with exceptions such as when Highway Child or The Bowie Contingent play) and you'll have DJ Lez of the Nelson fame to keep all you rockers happy.

Saturdays however will remain more indie and pop orientated with a good few of the more famous rock numbers thrown in

So Saturdays that were a good old decent mix of rock and general tunes is being moved to Fridays with Lez.

with some exceptions where DJ Mad Muzz will cover

With some exceptions!! I'm sure Muzz will love that if he reads it.

I suggest that you revisit what you are doing!

1.But it has been the bread an butter of the pub and it's clientele for a number of years, the base crowd is a rock crowd, some old school, some new, you risklosing these. This is where your money is.

2.Which means expanding your music collection significantly. Last night could have been played from chesy Greatest hits albums, my 7 year old could have done it.

3.You just slagged of your whole clientele and have basically said on a very public forum that your punters like **** music. I for one will state that this is incorrect, and you need to look at what you actually think of your customers than just playing any old crap because they are drunk.

Again, some of the clientele will disagree.

4.So Saturdays that were a good old decent mix of rock and general tunes is being moved to Fridays with Lez.

5.With some exceptions!! I'm sure Muzz will love that if he reads it.

6.I suggest that you revisit what you are doing!

1. Whilst we do have a number of rock fans who visit our venue (and again I must emphasise that it is only one section of our customer base and is not enormous in number) on weekends the entertainment model that you describe and desire was implimented by the previous ownership and it failed which is part of the reason why they ultimately sold the lease to the Mentholmans team.

2. That is your opinion and you're entitled to it but I didn't clear the venue at any stage; on the contrary we were at capacity when I was DJing (as we often are) between the bands' sets and we had to stay open an extra half an hour more than usual (the maximum our license allows for) for the first time ever due to still having hoardes of customers enjoying themselves.

3. Since when does the phrase 'lowest common denominator' have to only be a synonym for s**t? It is also a synonym for popular and it was in that sense that I used the term. I personally love cheesy pop in addition to infinitely more sophisticated music (my favourite artiste of all time is Scott Walker and you can't really get more high brow than that). I would never insult anyone for liking cheesy pop because I would be insulting myself in doing so.

4. Yes, this is what is happenning.

5. I don't understand what you are saying here.

6. We will only revist the present weekend entertainments model when we cease to be busy. People vote with their feet and lots of people's feet remain inside our venue when I DJ the songs I DJ, many even dance.

Finally, on the subject of Muzz (Ghostrider), you and his other friends will be happy to know that he is DJing next Friday (2pm-7pm for his pre Gary Numan gig special) and Saturday night 7pm-2am. If people come down and support him in their hoardes and we have a busier night than I achieve at present I will be more than happy to step aside on Saturdays and give him more slots if he wants them.

Edited by Jared

Finally, on the subject of Muzz (Ghostrider), you and his other friends will be happy to know that he is DJing next Friday (2pm-7pm for his pre Gary Numan gig special) and Saturday night 7pm-2am. If people come down and support him in their hoardes and we have a busier night than I achieve at present I will be more than happy to step aside on Saturdays and give him more slots if he wants them.

There was no need for the direct swipe it's unprofessional and childish. I'm here as an observation, one that has been coming for a long time. I would say it to anyone as anyone would tell you.

It was packed on Saturday mainly due to the band and lots of people milling around afterwards.

Instead of getting all defensive, take the feedback and think about it. You have a shockingly small catalogue of songs, this isn't hard to remedy. If you value your customers as much as you say you do, you will look at the points raised and maybe act on a couple of them.

Don't just think that because you think it works now, it will work every week and to run a successful business you need to adapt to change and maybe take a risk once in a while.

Think about it!

How was that a direct swipe and unprofessional and childish? I do not understand. You are evidently veering towards trolling.

And my catalogue is not as small as you may believe. I just choose to play lots of the same stuff as it works and has done for 8 months now. I will of course expand my playlist over time but it won't include much hard rock and metal.

As I said when what we do on weekends ceases to be successful, if indeed it ever does, you have my assurances that I will make any changes I deem to be neccessary and in the interests of the business.

do you still play Zig and Zag?