Shakespeares - Pub of the Year

Tonight this Gibraltar Street ale house gets an award for being Sheffield`s Pub of the Year. Quite an achievement considering the nearby competition. IMO they`re worthy recipients as Shakies (and maybe Harlequin) have moved a step ahead of the better known Kelham Island Tavern and Fat Cat now.

Think the celebrations start at 7 ish with the award later in the evening. Should be good! :)

Tonight this Gibraltar Street ale house gets an award for being Sheffield`s Pub of the Year. Quite an achievement considering the nearby competition. IMO they`re worthy recipients as Shakies (and maybe Harlequin) have moved a step ahead of the better known Kelham Island Tavern and Fat Cat now.

Think the celebrations start at 7 ish with the award later in the evening. Should be good! :)

I've not been in Shakies but the Fat Cat and Kelham Island really are smelly old dives. I know people will argue they have 'traditional character' but there is traditional character and then there's places that are downright shabby looking flea pits that look like they need a good clean.

I will have to have a nosey at Shakespeares

To be honest, I`d say KIT is cleaned to within an inch of its life, one of the cleanest pubs about. Shakies has a more eclectic clientele that might appeal but it`s not show-home standard. Beer`s good too. ;)

To be honest, I`d say KIT is cleaned to within an inch of its life, one of the cleanest pubs about. Shakies has a more eclectic clientele that might appeal but it`s not show-home standard. Beer`s good too. ;)

Im not suggesting it is dirty :) It just has that appearance. I doubt it would have won so many awards if it wasnt managed very well.

I've not been in Shakies but the Fat Cat and Kelham Island really are smelly old dives. I know people will argue they have 'traditional character' but there is traditional character and then there's places that are downright shabby looking flea pits that look like they need a good clean.

I will have to have a nosey at Shakespeares

I know where you are coming from having been in several of the pubs recommended on here they often fit into the category you describe and are often not afraid to charge premium prices too.

Well it is £2.30 for a pint of (very nice) Abbeydale Deception at Shakies. There are several places that are a little cheaper but they are almost all Wetherspoons. :cool:

I regularly visit the Rutland Arms which i guess you could call scruffy but it has character and is always busy. So cosy.

KIT is clean, it's just not very light in there.

I would certainly agree that Shakespeare's and the Harlequin are both ahead of the KIT right now. It's still a great pub, but the beer scene round here continues to move forward.

IMO Shakey a very worthy winner. I like the KIT, but is it the best in Sheffield? Debateable. Is it 9 times better than any other pub? Definitely not!

I reckon Shakey has best range of UK beers at the moment, and while not having as many foreign beers as some others, the ones they do have at least one can afford!

Shakey always have an interesting/rare US beer on tap. They had Anchor Zymaster Series No. 3 Flying Cloud Stout on over the weekend. I can't imagine that being common even in SF!

Fat Cat needs a good clean. The beer is as good as anywhere but the entire place smells of chip fat.

Well it is £2.30 for a pint of (very nice) Abbeydale Deception at Shakies. There are several places that are a little cheaper but they are almost all Wetherspoons. :cool:

I agree nothing wrong with that price.

However went in the Bath hotel a while back I had a pint of regular (non premium) lager and my friend had a pint of real ale sorry cant remember which but the lager was about £3.50 and the ale was nearer £4 which according to my friend was well overpriced.

Pub was nice but £7.50 for 2 beers is well ott imo.

very well deserved.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android