Shall we do a sensible Page Hall thread?

I was born and brought up in the area but to say its gone down hill is an under statement.

Back in the 70's it was a pleasant place to be.

We all know it's been taken over by people from other backgrounds but thinking positively, how can it be improved?

Remember, be sensible, let's not get this one deleted. You never know, someone with influence may be reading this and we could save the government £1000's by using common sense.

I was born and brought up in the area but to say its gone down hill is an under statement.

Back in the 70's it was a pleasant place to be.

We all know it's been taken over by people from other backgrounds but thinking positively, how can it be improved?

Remember, be sensible, let's not get this one deleted. You never know, someone with influence may be reading this and we could save the government £1000's by using common sense.

You make it seem like a bad thing :rolleyes:

Anyhow, to answer your question.

Clean the streets, fix the broken windows, mend the broken street furniture and lights.

If it looks better then maybe people will take more pride in it.

Most areas of Sheffield are multi cultural now, I'm not having a dig.

I asked for people to offer sensible advice(not that yours wasn't).

Ill be honest, your wording is clumsy in your op.

This bit for example.

We all know it's been taken over by people from other backgrounds but thinking positively,

Makes it sound like your saying it takes a special effort to think of it as anything other than negatively.

But my idea was genuine.

I think it could help and would be a low cost option.

when i drive through it, its the properties that let it down, the owners need to look after their homes, stop dropping litter and letting dogs foul the pavements.

then, maybe the council should start to improve the street furniture and road surfaces.

however, im not sure why the taxpayers money should be spent improving an area where the residents dont care two hoots when there are areas where the residents look after their homes

I think that, like a lot of areas, longer leases would make a big difference - getting people to take more of a role/pride/involvement in the community, rather than leasing somewhere for a few months/year. The big problem is that when people are only there for a short period (and know they'll only be there for a short period) they have no incentive to look after the place, they have no incentive to lobby the council to improve the place, the houses don't get a lick of paint, people will litter etc.

I'm not sure how you do that, but there are a lot of small changes like this which would make a bigger difference than spending millions of council money in tough times.

I said what was needed to be done in the last deleted thread And can't be arsed to go through it again maybe if the thread had been locked rather than deleted other members could have had a read and made up their minds

I grew up in this area and i cant beleive how bad it has become. The area was a working class area and i think that is the problem now. Nobody works.

If they worked, then maybe they would buy their house and not rent, and then maybe take a bit of pride in the area they live.

no SOME areas are....hillsboro or crookes aint..... backto the let them walk all over us SF liberalism....

I grew up in this area and i cant beleive how bad it has become. The area was a working class area and i think that is the problem now. Nobody works.

If they worked, then maybe they would buy their house and not rent, and then maybe take a bit of pride in the area they live.

My Bold=

Just because the eastern europeans stand about all day doesn't mean the whole area doesn't work.

The problem is the landlords putting in tennants that don't give a monkeys about the area.

I have spoken to a few landlords and the reply I got was that no one wants to rent around this area so we have to rent to the Romanian/roma/slovakians.

It's swings and roundabouts really because the european immigrants are turning the area into a **** hole and decent tennants don't want to live here.

Slowly people are realising that the european migrants are the problem and I'm certain that one day it will kick off between the non eu residents and the eu immigrant residents.

We moved here in 1980's and it was a lovely area and now it has gone to the dogs.

I'm going to go to the advice centre down therre that advises all these new arrivals and ask them to start advising these people how to live decently without running the area down as even though I don't live here anymore my parents do and when i go to see them I despair at the state of the place.

no SOME areas are....hillsboro or crookes aint..... backto the let them walk all over us SF liberalism....

I know ethnics who live in Hillsboro and Crookes so I would say multiculturism has reached these areas.

Eastern Europeans add to thid country,,,, Ive not seen Al Quada Poland start of here...... or is that not allowed to be said?