Shakespeares - Pub of the Year

I've not been in Shakies but the Fat Cat and Kelham Island really are smelly old dives. I know people will argue they have 'traditional character' but there is traditional character and then there's places that are downright shabby looking flea pits that look like they need a good clean.

I will have to have a nosey at Shakespeares

You'll get a shock at Shakespeare then, because I think it's the scruffiest/most basic of the three. :hihi:

The KIT is my favourite, I've always managed to find a beer I like in there, the place itself is the cleanest/nicest inside and they have a decent beer garden.

The Fat Cat has the best beer garden, but inside is a pain with that stupidly placed bar and I rarely find a beer I like, so usually default to Pale Rider.

The Shakespeare usually have good beers on, but the place inside is very basic and the beer garden is the worst of the three.

If I was to rate them all:

Inside

1. KIT

2. Shakespeare

3. Fat Cat

Beer

1. KIT

2. Shakespeare

3. Fat Cat

Outside

1. Fat Cat

2. KIT

3. Shakespeare

Regards

Doom

You'll get a shock at Shakespeare then, because I think it's the scruffiest/most basic of the three. :hihi:

The KIT is my favourite, I've always managed to find a beer I like in there, the place itself is the cleanest/nicest inside and they have a decent beer garden.

The Fat Cat has the best beer garden, but inside is a pain with that stupidly placed bar and I rarely find a beer I like, so usually default to Pale Rider.

The Shakespeare usually have good beers on, but the place inside is very basic and the beer garden is the worst of the three.

If I was to rate them all:

Inside

1. KIT

2. Shakespeare

3. Fat Cat

Beer

1. KIT

2. Shakespeare

3. Fat Cat

Outside

1. Fat Cat

2. KIT

3. Shakespeare

Regards

Doom

It's not often that I disagree with you Doom but on this occasion........

I used to love the KIT and go in there all the time, it deserved the crown of the best pub in Sheffield and CAMRA national pub of the year. The problem is when you get the title a number of years in a row you either strive to keep it up or rest on your laurels. Whilst other pubs in the area have upped their game the KIT has stood still. I have been in a number of times recently and have thought the beer choice has been boring and very safe with nothing that made me think wow. It always seems to be the same type of breweries and beers. There is also a bar man in their who has got to be the most arrogant and rude person I have ever met. I couldn't decide if he either thought he knew everything about beer and was in some way better than everybody else as he works in the KIT or he knew nothing.

When you have pubs like the Harlequin and the Shakespeare who have a wide range of different beers on cask, keg and in bottle as well as ciders, whiskies and different gins it offers something that little bit better.

None of the pubs at Kelham Island are exactly plush but that's not why you visit them, I go for the beer, the atmosphere and to have a chat with staff about beer and for me the KIT is losing on all counts currently. I would love the KIT to get back its crown but it needs to up its game.

I've only been down there once in the last 8 months and that was a couple of weeks ago.

I tend to like the stronger beers and the KIT had a pleasant 6.0% beer plus a 5.3 pale from Thornbridge, although I didn't get a chance to sample that.

The Shakespeare also had a decent strong beer on offer, but I can't say I found the beer garden a very pleasant experience.....Too many flies for my liking.

The Fat Cat was it's usual disappointment regarding the beer, but I do like the beer garden there.

As the weather gets better we'll head down there more often, so I may yet change my opinion. One thing that did disappoint with the KIT was the seating in the beer garden, which is getting quite tatty.

Regards

Doom

I regularly visit the Rutland Arms which i guess you could call scruffy but it has character and is always busy. So cosy.

Is this the one just off Paternoster Row, nicknamed Fannys?

Is this the one just off Paternoster Row, nicknamed Fannys?

I think you're thinking of the Lord Nelson on the corner of Earl Street. :)

I think you're thinking of the Lord Nelson on the corner of Earl Street. :)

That's it cheers Mr Bloke

:banana::banana: Yay - Halo mr Black - wear hive yew bea?

I've not been in Shakies but the Fat Cat and Kelham Island really are smelly old dives. I know people will argue they have 'traditional character' but there is traditional character and then there's places that are downright shabby looking flea pits that look like they need a good clean.

I will have to have a nosey at Shakespeares

Why must everything be clean all the time? You'll be polishing the mud in the park next.

Certainly was a good do with some cracking beers on the bar. A great turn-out by fans of the pub and a lovely touch to give everyone a free pint! :love:

Certainly was a good do with some cracking beers on the bar. A great turn-out by fans of the pub and a lovely touch to give everyone a free pint! :love:

Yes it was indeed an excellent evening in good company!

very well deserved.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I agree, :)

Yes it was indeed an excellent evening in good company!

Finally got around to doing a `review` on our blog. Feel free to add any comments, anyone!