Old police mug shots

Haha!

Remnds me of that dating site Plentyoffish........

I found it interesting too. A few back-street abortionists, one of whom's male accomplice was acquitted while she was given 12 months labour and another who allegedly caused the death of two women. Thank god we live where and when we do.

You have to wonder, why were the male accomplices let off easier and what other opportunities existed then for women to make a living? How many of them would have chosen prostitution if they could have done something else. What's light labor? Working in the prison laundry? Even that must have been a nightmare because I'm sure they didn't have modern washing machines and dryers. In the US, some inmates make license plates.

And the youngish one who I thought looked ok until I read that she killed her three week old baby. She could have definitely used some meds/mental help but I doubt she got it, poor thing.

I'm very thankful. It must have been a hard life.

You have to wonder, why were the male accomplices let off easier and what other opportunities existed then for women to make a living? How many of them would have chosen prostitution if they could have done something else. [cut...]

It could be that for some (certainly not all) of them prostitution probably meant a certain amount of freedom when, perhaps due to their gender or social standing, it couldn't be attained by many other means. I've heard this numerous times on documentaries and such from prostitutes in the lower castes of India. Prostitution, to the ones who want to do it, means being their own person, not answering to a man, managing their own affairs and finances, not spending a lifetime cooking, cleaning and taking care of a husband, and earning a decent - often large - amount of money for themselves.

"Because I was intelligent I preferred to be a free prostitute, rather than an ensalved wife." (Woman at Point Zero)

In a time when being somebody's wife was your expected role, it's not hard to believe some women had the same kind of thoughts and wanted to free themselves of their fate, and prostitution could be a way to do that.

For many, however, I would assume a need to eat and survive, and maybe even children to feed, meant it was the only option available.

And the youngish one who I thought looked ok until I read that she killed her three week old baby. She could have definitely used some meds/mental help but I doubt she got it, poor thing.

I'm very thankful. It must have been a hard life.

I imagine being declared insane would mean a lifetime in an asylum, and I dread to think what a 1920s asylum would have been like.