Italian Meal for birthday

Vito's in Walkley is great. I went for my birthday last year and everyone really enjoyed their meals. House wine is also good and very reasonably priced for a carafe.

Having said that, if the new Gusto restaurant in Norfolk Row is even half as good as Gusto Italiano - and I'm assured it is - then that will be incredible. I can't wait to try it myself.

Mamma and Leonie's is okay - much better than most of the other chain-type places in town - but not sure it's "special" enough for a 50th birthday. As for the chain-type places such as Zizzi and Antibos, there's a reason they're always giving out vouchers....

we often go to Elupos in Rotherham, not as over the top as Tequila but nice and lively esp on a friday night when there is usually a great singer and a bit of dancing if you fancy

http://elupos.co.uk/

was just about to suggest E'Lupo, far better than most of sheffields crap italians. lovely food/staff/atmosphere.

Hi, Anyone got any ideas for a good Italian restaurant for a meal for my 50th! birthday next feb. Want somewhere quite lively but not viva tequila lively!

I was going to suggest Calabria in Chesterfield but you wouldn't exactly call that "quite lively". It's a very small restaurant, although very nice and intimate, serving really excellent regional Italian cuisine and fine wines - and it's not particularly expensive either. If you want pizza or pasta though don't bother - it's not that kind of Italian restaurant.

This is really authentic Italian cuisine with many of the ingredients flown in from Calabria in Italy - even the wines are local to there, many of them. It's quite different to most of the places that describe themselves as "Italian restaurants" and it was voted "best Italian restaurant" in this area by Westside magazine this year. Really well worth a visit if you appreciate very good food.

If you aren't appreciative of "fine dining" then it probably wouldn't be worth your while - and I don't mean anything wrong by that. Some people's idea of an Italian restaurant is pizza and pasta - or the kind of fare served up in the Italian chain restaurants, like Strada and Zizzi. If that's your thing then there's nothing wrong with that - but you probably wouldn't enjoy Calabria because its a milliion miles away from that.

I think Fellicini's might be a good choice for you if you want something a bit more "mainstream" rather than fine cuisine. There's one on Eccy Road, near to Hunter's Bar and they also have a nice one in Bakewell by the river.

Or you could try Piccolino's near the Peace Gardens. I personally wouldn't call that "Italian cuisine" but I suspect it would tick the box of what many people consider to be just that. It's a happening sort of place, central location and decent (if not fantastic) food.

little italy at dronfield always used to be nice for an authentic meal, havent been for about a year though and E'Lupo beats it anyway imho

enjoy!

Try Kitos at Woodseats..nice place...Enjoy your 50th

If u looking for a quite ambeince, try ouit Zizzi..great value for meal with excellent ambeince..

If u looking for a quite ambeince, try ouit Zizzi..great value for meal with excellent ambeince..

Thanks for the idea. I was looking at Zizzis and had some gud reviews (tho went in Strada b4 Xmas and while it was a nice place the food wasnt up to much). In the end have booked Maranellos on Ecc Road as thort wud be quieter tho bit lively as on ecc road. That has some good reviews so hope will be good.

La dolce vita at Crosspool, proper italian family run restaurant, perhaps not the best service but excellent food. BYO

You cannot be serious. Unless there has been a quantum shift in the way Zizzi's do things since I last went there (I'm talking of action in the realms of demolishing the place and starting again) it has to rank as the biggest joke I've ever experienced.

Service was clueless, and as for the food... I wanted to have a dish done slightly differently and the answer came back that they couldn't "because it's all delivered pre-prepared".

What was served was average and certainly well below the standard of nearby Strada, let alone real Italians like Vito's.

I'm glad I didn't go to Zizzi on Saturday now! I phoned up to try and book a table, only to be told they were fully booked all night. When I went into Leopold Square for a drink I looked at the restaurant and it couldn't be more than 1/4 full, and that's me being generous.

I stayed in Leopold Square for an hour and a half and it didn't really get much busier. Bizarre, but they lost my custom for the night.