Winter weather thread 2017/2018

What are the main roads like? We’re in Milton Keynes and need to get home later, hopefully it’ll be ok as we’re in Hackenthorpe so it’ll be J31/A57/Moss Way.

-was in town all evening and no sign of a single gritter all night - poor effort sheffield council

No point in gritting when there is a large amount of snow forecast. They'll start gritting when the bulk has fallen (presumably now? There is a lot) and utilise snowplows.

---------- Post added 18-03-2018 at 07:30 ----------

What are the main roads like? We’re in Milton Keynes and need to get home later, hopefully it’ll be ok as we’re in Hackenthorpe so it’ll be J31/A57/Moss Way.

Forecast is that snow will keep falling all day.

avent been out yet but i dont think thers any buses or taxis runnin,my daughters been on a night shift at the hallamshire and it looks like shes gonna av to walk home,

Guest busdriver1

Sounds like a perfect day for people to go out and demonstrate their lack of bad weather driving skills. I might go for a walk to watch the fun.

All buses in Sheffield currently suspended according to sypte website /twitter feed.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

No buses at all currently, First or Stagecoach. No purple trams, blue to Middlewood only not Malin Bridge, yellow route running.

Yes, there was carnage last night round Chapeltown, Ecclesfield / Chapeltown Road was a nightmare as was Cowley Lane up towards the motorway...

In fairness I did see a couple of gritters but I think they were heading to the motorway

This morning I've just taken the dog for a walk & Ecclesfield / Chapeltown Road has been gritted & looks clear now

the 120 is running,parkway ok ,a bit dodgy near the walk in centre on brookhill.

i cant understand that all the media announced that the snow was on its way again and hey ho no one can drive and no buses - what is the reason we pay our council tax for as its clearly for other things and not for the important things like gritting the roads and when they decide to snowplough or grit the roads its to late - not a surprise mind you maybe tomorrow we may see trucks clearing the drains out ready for summer

There is no point in gritting the roads overnight if there is a lot of snow forecast. The grit only works if it is constantly being driven over to mix it in with the snow. It has no effect if it is buried underneath. That would just be a massive waste of council tax payers money.

It is what I like about Sheffield. It thinks it is big yet a little snow puts it right down.

I prefer this sweetness over big functional north American Canadian cities that can handle "real" snowstorms.