The Best Italian Restaurant in Sheffield?

Can anyone recommend a nice Italian restaurant which isn't too loud? I don't mean busy, but I have friends with hearing difficulties who struggle in echoey places, or with a lot of background noise. Sadly it seems to be fashionable at present to have high ceilings, and no soft furnishings to dampen sounds! :(

Can anyone recommend a nice Italian restaurant which isn't too loud? I don't mean busy, but I have friends with hearing difficulties who struggle in echoey places, or with a lot of background noise. Sadly it seems to be fashionable at present to have high ceilings, and no soft furnishings to dampen sounds! :(

Sette Colli

http://www.settecollirestaurant.com/

I also like Marco at Milano, its quite pricey but lovely food. You have to leave a deposit to book for Saturday nights though, let them down and you lose your deposit on bank card, think its £20.

Completely agree about Marco@Milano, wonderful food, not cheap but worth every penny. The same goes for Vero Gusto.

BB's is fine at their price point.

....turbot, wild boar, venison or lobster.....

Ooh, get you.

No, I know what you mean. Personally, the restaurants I enjoy the most are those that give me a nice experience every time. It doesn't necessarily matter if I could make it as good myself. I always have a nice time at BB's, I like the food and it's in town rather than the suburbs.

Generally, if it costs me a lot of money to eat out I don't enjoy it so much. It's wasted on me. Much like champagne - it's all right but it's not worth the money. I like risotto and make it all the time at home, but if it costs almost £20 in a restaurant I would never order it. How good can it possibly be? I guess I'm still a peasant at heart. If I win the lottery I might change my approach.

As this thread is close to eleven years old, it would be interesting to know how many of the earlier mentioned businesses are still trading, I’m too lazy to check on-line.

Here's a list of the 50-odd that have been mentioned in the thread (not including a few such as those in Rotherham and Barnsley). Feel free to edit it and spellcheck. Some have gone, some new ones have appeared which aren't yet on the list. It's debatable what is strictly an 'Italian restaurant' so it's got to be an inclusive list. But I haven't included some of the big chain pizza places but maybe we should add them?

Akentannos (Sardinian) on Sharrow Vale Rd

Antibo's, West One, City centre [GONE]

B B's, Division St, City centre

Bella Donna, Renishaw

Bella italia, Centertainment

Bella Napoli, Abbeydale Road

Buon Deli, Glossop Road, Broomhill [GONE]

Calabria, Chesterfield

Carluccios, Meadowhall

Casanova, Crookes

Cerones, Ecclesfield

Ferdinandos, Meadowhead

Kias Pastaria (Persian), Abbeydale Road

Kito's, Woodseats

La Civetta Di Roberto, Middlewood Road, Hillsborough [GONE]

La Dolce Vita, Sandygate Rd, Crosspool

La Gondola, Carver Street, City centre

La Luna on Ecclesall Road

La Romantica, London Road

La Scala, Abbeydale Rd/Archer Rd, Millhouses

La Terrazza 352 Sharrow Vale Road

L'incontro, Abbeydale Rd, near London Rd junction [GONE]

Little Italy, Dronfield

Mamas and Leonies, Norfolk St, City centre

Mamma Mia Pepe, Langsett Road

Maranello's, Ecclesall Road.

Marco at Milano's, Archer Rd, Millhouses

Marco's, Woodseats, near KFC.

Nonna's, Ecclesall Rd

Nonsolovino, Chesterfield

Otto's [formerly San Lorenzo's] Sharrow Vale Road

Oyes, Woodseats

Papa Ciccio's, Sandygate Rd, Crosspool

Pasta Bar, Sharrow Vale Road

Piccolino's, Peace Gardens, City centre

Piccolo's, West Street, City centre

Pizza Volante, Glossop Rd, City centre [GONE]

Popolo, Leopold Sq City centre [GONE]

Portofino, London Road, near Ponsfords

Prezzo, Centertainment

Prezzo, Ecclesall Rd

Proove, Broomhill

Roma café, Castle Street, City centre

Rossi's, Sharrow Lane, near London road

San Lorenzo, Northfield Road, Crookes

San Remo, Division Street, City centre [GONE]

San Remo, London Road

Sette Colli, Bradfield Rd, Hillsborough

Strada, Leopold Sq, City centre

Vero Gusto, Norfolk Row, City centre

Vito's, South Road, Walkley

Zizzi, Leopold Sq, City centre

Zizzi, Meadowhall

Zucca at St Pauls hotel, City centre

Edited by Bilge

Completely agree about Marco@Milano, wonderful food, not cheap but worth every penny. The same goes for Vero Gusto.

Readers beware! This person knows what they are talking about!

These are the best 2 Italian restaurants in Sheffield by a country mile. That doesn't mean others aren't "good", or "pleasant".

But, let's imagine that you have dignatories visiting and we, us Sheffield folk, want to really impress them... You've basically got 2 Italian restaurants in the whole of Sheffield that could do that. Marco's and Vero Gusto.

Now...having put that aside...

Let's talk "cheap Italian" and "pasta and pizza" shall we?

I'll raise you "Proove" Pizza at Broomhill as having the best authentic Neapolitan pizza in town.

Vero Gusto, which is lovely, appears to be for sale:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-63048754.html

Oh No ... I hope they are all OK. A wonderful restaurant run by lovely people.

I can only think maybe they decided it was too much with two small kids to look after.

Reply to Bilge.

Not aware that La Gondola still does kareoke. Some years ago when it was under other ownership it did. Pretty sure it doesnt do now:)

Reply to Bilge.

Not aware that La Gondola still does kareoke. Some years ago when it was under other ownership it did. Pretty sure it doesnt do now:)

Thanks! I'll give it another try in the near future.

Vero Gusto is by far the best true Italian restaurant in Sheffield, Akentanos comes a close 2nd, with marco@milano 3rd, mostly others are the English version pizza pasta versions, Kitos is a good example but is great for a quick meal with good wholesome food but not very authentic, picollinos tries hard as does Nonnas.

Edited by realcockney