Sheffield Forum
Your message here

FOOTBALL, a casual observation.

Home > General > General Sports Chat

Reply To Topic

29-10-2017, 09:59   #1
ANGELFIRE1

Total Posts: 4,836
As a Rugby fan I don't watch hardly any football, but sitting down with a bacon butty this morning, football was on the box when I turned it on so I watched some of it.

Here are my observations of the so called beautiful game. It is no longer English, it seems to be filled to bursting with foreign players and indeed foreign managers. Surely this must impact on the National team by reducing the number of players the English manager has to choose from. If the top division had say for instance 300 players to choose from, BUT due to foreign players this was reduced down to 100, it must impact on the managers choice of players. So, taking that as fact would it be possible to limit the numbers of non English players on the pitch to say two per side as a maximum, giving the prospective England team players more of a chance to show their skills.

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
29-10-2017, 10:03   #2
blackydog

Total Posts: 922
Rugby - a casual observation. Can't watch rugby. OK i don't understand it but hoofing it out of play to make progress??
_______
Brooks, Brooks will tear you apart again - UTB

Last edited by blackydog; 29-10-2017 at 10:06.
29-10-2017, 10:27   #3
TheNugget

Total Posts: 221
The clubs would never agree to it as it dilutes their global reach and brand. The FA can’t enforce it is a restraint of trade, discriminatory and illegal under EU law. In any event if it was the case the top premier league clubs would just form a European super league and run it with their own rules. It is a by product of a global economy and workforce.
More english youngsters should go and play in leagues abroad like their foreign counterparts, but they rarely do.
29-10-2017, 10:39   #4
ukdobby

Total Posts: 10,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNugget View Post
The clubs would never agree to it as it dilutes their global reach and brand. The FA can’t enforce it is a restraint of trade, discriminatory and illegal under EU law. In any event if it was the case the top premier league clubs would just form a European super league and run it with their own rules. It is a by product of a global economy and workforce.
More english youngsters should go and play in leagues abroad like their foreign counterparts, but they rarely do.
It's all about money,the reason foreign players come here is for the payday.
29-10-2017, 10:46   #5
TheNugget

Total Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdobby View Post
I agree. As would anyone else in any other industry.
14-11-2017, 14:29   #6
SiSiSi

Total Posts: 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
As a Rugby fan I don't watch hardly any football, but sitting down with a bacon butty this morning, football was on the box when I turned it on so I watched some of it.

Here are my observations of the so called beautiful game. It is no longer English, it seems to be filled to bursting with foreign players and indeed foreign managers. Surely this must impact on the National team by reducing the number of players the English manager has to choose from. If the top division had say for instance 300 players to choose from, BUT due to foreign players this was reduced down to 100, it must impact on the managers choice of players. So, taking that as fact would it be possible to limit the numbers of non English players on the pitch to say two per side as a maximum, giving the prospective England team players more of a chance to show their skills.

Angel1.
Surely the 100 players would be the best though? I would have to assume that a player in the 200-300 bracket,even though they might be Premier League players, would not be considered good enough for the England team.
_______
There's one born every minute.
14-11-2017, 14:48   #7
Ridgewalk

Total Posts: 1,851
All of Sheffield United’s players are either Irish or British, although Carter- whoisit qualifies as American, although I believe he’s British born

Our one season sun in the Prem was like a circus

---------- Post added 14-11-2017 at 13:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdobby View Post

Wednesday’s manager and back room staff are foreigners as are some players.

British football has lost its soul.
14-11-2017, 15:26   #8
SiSiSi

Total Posts: 2,691
This thread is about the national team. Why bring Wednesday and United into it?
_______
There's one born every minute.
14-11-2017, 16:50   #9
Ridgewalk

Total Posts: 1,851
Strange I thought it was about football in England and that it was no longer an English game. So I added that the Blades had no foreign players to make a point that it was only really at the top level that was chock full with foreign players.

As this is the Sheffield forum and Sheffield has two professional clubs I thought it might be appropriate to bring them into the discussion.

This appears to have offended you
15-11-2017, 00:18   #10
Ontarian1981

Total Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackydog View Post
Rugby - a casual observation. Can't watch rugby. OK i don't understand it but hoofing it out of play to make progress??
As opposed to "hoofing it out of play" to halt progress?

---------- Post added 14-11-2017 at 23:21 ----------

Quote:

Angel1.
I believe there is a rule in effect which says that all premiership teams must have at least 5 homegrown players in the 25 man pool, or something like that.

Last edited by Ontarian1981; 15-11-2017 at 00:25. Reason: spelling
15-11-2017, 00:21   #11
top4718

Total Posts: 9,375
The national team was rubbish back in the days when the top flight was filled with British Isles pllayers. World football has moved on while we have stagnated and pay average players ridiculous sums before they've achieved anything in the game.
15-11-2017, 01:27   #12
nobby71

Total Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by top4718 View Post
The national team was rubbish back in the days when the top flight was filled with British Isles pllayers. World football has moved on while we have stagnated and pay average players ridiculous sums before they've achieved anything in the game.
And its still rubbish now.
_______
"oops.....I think I have just followed through!"
15-11-2017, 14:16   #13
Lurgh Mor

Total Posts: 261
Quote:
Rubbish? 1966? 1990? 1996? After that the Premier League filled with foreign nationals.
15-11-2017, 14:28   #14
top4718

Total Posts: 9,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgh Mor View Post
Rubbish? 1966? 1990? 1996? After that the Premier League filled with foreign nationals.
What about 74 and 78 and 94 when we didn't even qualify?
15-11-2017, 17:57   #15
geared

Total Posts: 12,375
Sorry but what did we win in 1990 and 1996 again????
15-11-2017, 22:08   #16
stpetre

Total Posts: 2,158
Quote:
What about 74 and 78 and 94 when we didn't even qualify?
Then I'd better not bring 1950 -in Brazil- into it then, with Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney and Billy Wright etc.

Last edited by stpetre; 15-11-2017 at 22:15. Reason: Spell
15-11-2017, 23:30   #17
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 13,658
Quote:

Angel1.
Is this the England rugby team full of "English" players from Fiji etc?
_______
We get the world we deserve.
16-11-2017, 18:56   #18
ANGELFIRE1

Total Posts: 4,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post
Is this the England rugby team full of "English" players from Fiji etc?
Here you are, to gain entry to a National RU team.

"There are three ways a player qualifies to represent a country: through his or her birth, that of parents or grandparents, or residency which requires someone to live in their adopted nation for three successive years."

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
17-11-2017, 00:06   #19
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 13,658
Quote:
Here you are, to gain entry to a National RU team.

"There are three ways a player qualifies to represent a country: through his or her birth, that of parents or grandparents, or residency which requires someone to live in their adopted nation for three successive years."

Angel1.
A full three years? Wow!!!!
_______
We get the world we deserve.
17-11-2017, 15:00   #20
Alan Hartley

Total Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post
Sorry but what did we win in 1990 and 1996 again????
Went out on penalties. Unlucky really, the England squads for those tournaments were good. Same with France 98. France 98 was the last realistic crack of the whip we've had in a tournament in my opinion. England have been dire overall ever since.
_______
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders.
Reply To Topic