Sheffield Forum

FOOTBALL, a casual observation.

Home > General > General Sports Chat

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-10-2017, 08:59   #1
ANGELFIRE1
Registered User
ANGELFIRE1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: S35
Total Posts: 5,470
As a Rugby fan I don't watch hardly any football, but sitting down with a bacon butty this morning, football was on the box when I turned it on so I watched some of it.

Here are my observations of the so called beautiful game. It is no longer English, it seems to be filled to bursting with foreign players and indeed foreign managers. Surely this must impact on the National team by reducing the number of players the English manager has to choose from. If the top division had say for instance 300 players to choose from, BUT due to foreign players this was reduced down to 100, it must impact on the managers choice of players. So, taking that as fact would it be possible to limit the numbers of non English players on the pitch to say two per side as a maximum, giving the prospective England team players more of a chance to show their skills.

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
  Reply With Quote
29-10-2017, 09:03   #2
blackydog
Registered User
blackydog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Total Posts: 1,153
Rugby - a casual observation. Can't watch rugby. OK i don't understand it but hoofing it out of play to make progress??
_______
Blackydog - United supporting pile of poo.

Last edited by blackydog; 29-10-2017 at 09:06.
  Reply With Quote
29-10-2017, 09:27   #3
TheNugget
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Total Posts: 262
The clubs would never agree to it as it dilutes their global reach and brand. The FA can’t enforce it is a restraint of trade, discriminatory and illegal under EU law. In any event if it was the case the top premier league clubs would just form a European super league and run it with their own rules. It is a by product of a global economy and workforce.
More english youngsters should go and play in leagues abroad like their foreign counterparts, but they rarely do.
  Reply With Quote
29-10-2017, 09:39   #4
ukdobby
Registered User
ukdobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rojales
Total Posts: 10,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNugget View Post
The clubs would never agree to it as it dilutes their global reach and brand. The FA can’t enforce it is a restraint of trade, discriminatory and illegal under EU law. In any event if it was the case the top premier league clubs would just form a European super league and run it with their own rules. It is a by product of a global economy and workforce.
More english youngsters should go and play in leagues abroad like their foreign counterparts, but they rarely do.
It's all about money,the reason foreign players come here is for the payday.
  Reply With Quote
29-10-2017, 09:46   #5
TheNugget
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Total Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdobby View Post
It's all about money,the reason foreign players come here is for the payday.
I agree. As would anyone else in any other industry.
  Reply With Quote
14-11-2017, 13:29   #6
SiSiSi
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2009
Total Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
As a Rugby fan I don't watch hardly any football, but sitting down with a bacon butty this morning, football was on the box when I turned it on so I watched some of it.

Here are my observations of the so called beautiful game. It is no longer English, it seems to be filled to bursting with foreign players and indeed foreign managers. Surely this must impact on the National team by reducing the number of players the English manager has to choose from. If the top division had say for instance 300 players to choose from, BUT due to foreign players this was reduced down to 100, it must impact on the managers choice of players. So, taking that as fact would it be possible to limit the numbers of non English players on the pitch to say two per side as a maximum, giving the prospective England team players more of a chance to show their skills.

Angel1.
Surely the 100 players would be the best though? I would have to assume that a player in the 200-300 bracket,even though they might be Premier League players, would not be considered good enough for the England team.
  Reply With Quote
14-11-2017, 13:48   #7
Ridgewalk
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Total Posts: 2,209
Status: Online
All of Sheffield United’s players are either Irish or British, although Carter- whoisit qualifies as American, although I believe he’s British born

Our one season sun in the Prem was like a circus

---------- Post added 14-11-2017 at 13:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdobby View Post
It's all about money,the reason foreign players come here is for the payday.

Wednesday’s manager and back room staff are foreigners as are some players.

British football has lost its soul.
  Reply With Quote
14-11-2017, 14:26   #8
SiSiSi
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2009
Total Posts: 2,707
This thread is about the national team. Why bring Wednesday and United into it?
  Reply With Quote
14-11-2017, 15:50   #9
Ridgewalk
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Total Posts: 2,209
Status: Online
Strange I thought it was about football in England and that it was no longer an English game. So I added that the Blades had no foreign players to make a point that it was only really at the top level that was chock full with foreign players.

As this is the Sheffield forum and Sheffield has two professional clubs I thought it might be appropriate to bring them into the discussion.

This appears to have offended you
  Reply With Quote
14-11-2017, 23:18   #10
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackydog View Post
Rugby - a casual observation. Can't watch rugby. OK i don't understand it but hoofing it out of play to make progress??
As opposed to "hoofing it out of play" to halt progress?

---------- Post added 14-11-2017 at 23:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
As a Rugby fan I don't watch hardly any football, but sitting down with a bacon butty this morning, football was on the box when I turned it on so I watched some of it.

Here are my observations of the so called beautiful game. It is no longer English, it seems to be filled to bursting with foreign players and indeed foreign managers. Surely this must impact on the National team by reducing the number of players the English manager has to choose from. If the top division had say for instance 300 players to choose from, BUT due to foreign players this was reduced down to 100, it must impact on the managers choice of players. So, taking that as fact would it be possible to limit the numbers of non English players on the pitch to say two per side as a maximum, giving the prospective England team players more of a chance to show their skills.

Angel1.
I believe there is a rule in effect which says that all premiership teams must have at least 5 homegrown players in the 25 man pool, or something like that.

Last edited by Ontarian1981; 14-11-2017 at 23:25. Reason: spelling
  Reply With Quote
14-11-2017, 23:21   #11
top4718
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Total Posts: 10,595
The national team was rubbish back in the days when the top flight was filled with British Isles pllayers. World football has moved on while we have stagnated and pay average players ridiculous sums before they've achieved anything in the game.
  Reply With Quote
15-11-2017, 00:27   #12
nobby71
Registered User
nobby71's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Total Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by top4718 View Post
The national team was rubbish back in the days when the top flight was filled with British Isles pllayers. World football has moved on while we have stagnated and pay average players ridiculous sums before they've achieved anything in the game.
And its still rubbish now.
_______
"oops.....I think I have just followed through!"
  Reply With Quote
15-11-2017, 13:16   #13
Lurgh Mor
Registered User
Lurgh Mor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Total Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by top4718 View Post
The national team was rubbish back in the days when the top flight was filled with British Isles pllayers. World football has moved on while we have stagnated and pay average players ridiculous sums before they've achieved anything in the game.
Rubbish? 1966? 1990? 1996? After that the Premier League filled with foreign nationals.
  Reply With Quote
15-11-2017, 13:28   #14
top4718
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Total Posts: 10,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgh Mor View Post
Rubbish? 1966? 1990? 1996? After that the Premier League filled with foreign nationals.
What about 74 and 78 and 94 when we didn't even qualify?
  Reply With Quote
15-11-2017, 16:57   #15
geared
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Total Posts: 12,895
Sorry but what did we win in 1990 and 1996 again????
  Reply With Quote
15-11-2017, 21:08   #16
stpetre
Account Closed
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Total Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by top4718 View Post
What about 74 and 78 and 94 when we didn't even qualify?
Then I'd better not bring 1950 -in Brazil- into it then, with Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney and Billy Wright etc.

Last edited by stpetre; 15-11-2017 at 21:15. Reason: Spell
  Reply With Quote
15-11-2017, 22:30   #17
tinfoilhat
Registered User
tinfoilhat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Total Posts: 14,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
As a Rugby fan I don't watch hardly any football, but sitting down with a bacon butty this morning, football was on the box when I turned it on so I watched some of it.

Here are my observations of the so called beautiful game. It is no longer English, it seems to be filled to bursting with foreign players and indeed foreign managers. Surely this must impact on the National team by reducing the number of players the English manager has to choose from. If the top division had say for instance 300 players to choose from, BUT due to foreign players this was reduced down to 100, it must impact on the managers choice of players. So, taking that as fact would it be possible to limit the numbers of non English players on the pitch to say two per side as a maximum, giving the prospective England team players more of a chance to show their skills.

Angel1.
Is this the England rugby team full of "English" players from Fiji etc?
_______
We get the world we deserve.
  Reply With Quote
16-11-2017, 17:56   #18
ANGELFIRE1
Registered User
ANGELFIRE1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: S35
Total Posts: 5,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post
Is this the England rugby team full of "English" players from Fiji etc?
Here you are, to gain entry to a National RU team.

"There are three ways a player qualifies to represent a country: through his or her birth, that of parents or grandparents, or residency which requires someone to live in their adopted nation for three successive years."

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
  Reply With Quote
16-11-2017, 23:06   #19
tinfoilhat
Registered User
tinfoilhat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Total Posts: 14,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
Here you are, to gain entry to a National RU team.

"There are three ways a player qualifies to represent a country: through his or her birth, that of parents or grandparents, or residency which requires someone to live in their adopted nation for three successive years."

Angel1.
A full three years? Wow!!!!
_______
We get the world we deserve.
  Reply With Quote
17-11-2017, 14:00   #20
Alan Hartley
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Nowhere, fast.
Total Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post
Sorry but what did we win in 1990 and 1996 again????
Went out on penalties. Unlucky really, the England squads for those tournaments were good. Same with France 98. France 98 was the last realistic crack of the whip we've had in a tournament in my opinion. England have been dire overall ever since.
_______
Surely not EVERYBODY was kung fu fighting?
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:00.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018