The three merry lads

Went for a grand walk around Redmires/Stanage Edge on Sunday and decided to finish off our jaunt with a pint in The Three Merry Lads, my god that place has really gone down the pan! This was about 3.30 in the afternoon, 3 cars in the car park, no one eating, this place used to get packed on Sun afternoon with a carvery as popular as The Crosspool Tavern.Inside the place now has the decor and ambience of a 2nd rate residential home with some serious 1980's fixtures and fittings (a mucky purple and chipped brown seems to pervade my memory). We sat and enjoyed a (lovely actually) pint while watching the 'chef' and a member of the bar staff larking about 'front of house', seemingly for our entertainment.While at the bar I asked the new manager/landlady (?) how long she had been here and if she had any plans for the place, she said it needed 'a bit of a tidy up and the toilets decorating!'to me it looked like a bit of a shutting down, ripping out and complete refitting. Then I noticed a laminate sign on the wall stating that due to 'technical problems' credit card payments could not be processed!! This looks to me like a case 'managed decline' and i'm wondering if the greedy brewery/pub company have recognised an opportunity to allow someone to create a 'prestige residential development' not to mention all that lovely land around the place, overlooking Rivelin Valley.

Thanks for updating us mate. I also used to enjoy going to the 3 Merry Lads for a sunday carvery occasionally. I thought it was pretty good (although they used to cut the carrots by laser I reckon). It used to make a nice walk around there on a Sunday and then pop in for a pint and a leisurely lunch.

What a shame to hear about this.

It sounds to me like it is on its way out - and come to think of it - I haven't heard anyone raving about the carvery there lately - so maybe you're right.

The previous Ltd company that ran the pub went insolvent.

They are currently run by a Ltd co. called Esten Ltd which was registered at company house back in August 2011 but only seems to have taken over over the pub late December.

They don't seem to have any other pubs so they are not a traditional pubco like Enterprise / Ember / Punch.

Maybe they are genuine and want to make a go of it, hard to judge after 2 weeks really.

The previous Ltd company that ran the pub went insolvent.

They are currently run by a Ltd co. called Esten Ltd which was registered at company house back in August 2011 but only seems to have taken over over the pub late December.

They don't seem to have any other pubs so they are not a traditional pubco like Enterprise / Ember / Punch.

Maybe they are genuine and want to make a go of it, hard to judge after 2 weeks really.

fair comment. I didn't realise it was so recently taken over.

It sounds though from the OP's experience that they don't have grand plans for it. I always think it's a good sign when a new licensee comes in if they share their plans with the locals as to how they wish to develop a place.

I got the impression from the OP that they don't really see much wrong with the way it is - and that's scary.

Thanks for updating us mate. I also used to enjoy going to the 3 Merry Lads for a sunday carvery occasionally. I thought it was pretty good (although they used to cut the carrots by laser I reckon). It used to make a nice walk around there on a Sunday and then pop in for a pint and a leisurely lunch.

What a shame to hear about this.

It sounds to me like it is on its way out - and come to think of it - I haven't heard anyone raving about the carvery there lately - so maybe you're right.

The reason you ain't heard anyone raving about the carvery sir, is because it does'nt exist. When I enquired as to why they were'nt serving a carvery on a Sunday afternoon I was told it was because no one had phoned to book a table, so they could'nt see the point! Ha!

I have followed the Three Merry Lads through several quality cycles over the last 20 or so years. It seems extraordinary that such a well-situated place, on the edge of great countryside and just off a major bus route, should struggle but what do I know?

I imagine that January is likely to be a quiet time in many places and for new managers/owners just finding their feet, it will probably not be worth putting a full carvery on.

I do hope that it picks up. It has been a very useful stopping place on long walks and has served good beer and reasonable food in the past.

fair comment. I didn't realise it was so recently taken over.

It sounds though from the OP's experience that they don't have grand plans for it. I always think it's a good sign when a new licensee comes in if they share their plans with the locals as to how they wish to develop a place.

I got the impression from the OP that they don't really see much wrong with the way it is - and that's scary.

Why is it? It's the quality of the beer and the quality of the food that's important, not how fashionable the decor is. People are still paying for christmas in January, maybe not many people can afford to go out for Sunday lunch?

Why is it? It's the quality of the beer and the quality of the food that's important, not how fashionable the decor is. People are still paying for christmas in January, maybe not many people can afford to go out for Sunday lunch?

The quality of the food may have been reflected in the fact that no one was eating any on Sunday lunchtime, but maybe i'm wrong and its just one of Sheffields best kept culinary secrets, that secret that no one knows about it.

At nearly £3 a pint i'm afraid I do expect the environment I am drinking it in and presumably paying for, to be of an acceptable standard, otherwise I could drink excellent quality beer at £1.40 a bottle stood in my kitchen.

Re: no one being able to afford to eat out in Jan, drove past The Door Moor the day before, at lunchtime, car park rammed!

The quality of the food may have been reflected in the fact that no one was eating any on Sunday lunchtime, but maybe i'm wrong and its just one of Sheffields best kept culinary secrets, that secret that no one knows about it.

At nearly £3 a pint i'm afraid I do expect the environment I am drinking it in and presumably paying for, to be of an acceptable standard, otherwise I could drink excellent quality beer at £1.40 a bottle stood in my kitchen.

Re: no one being able to afford to eat out in Jan, drove past The Door Moor the day before, at lunchtime, car park rammed!

Try Jennings Lakeland at 99 pence for a 500ml bottle from Aldi, it's only 3.5 volume but tastes great.

Try Jennings Lakeland at 99 pence for a 500ml bottle from Aldi, it's only 3.5 volume but tastes great.

I could p stronger stuff than that! No beer below 4% tastes great imo. Get some 5 or 6% stuff darn't neck and notice the difference!

I could p stronger stuff than that! No beer below 4% tastes great imo. Get some 5 or 6% stuff darn't neck and notice the difference!

I grew up drinking beers of under 4% vol, it is a modern misunderstanding that the stronger it is the better it is. Strength has nothing to do with taste, other than the stronger it is the less sugar is left in the final brew. Content and brewing skills have more to do with the taste of the finished article.