BBC iPlayer now requires sign in

BBC iPlayer now requires you to register/sign in to use it, the information it requires/requests is email address, dob, gender, post code.

Email address - fine gave my junk one

D.O.B. (Full) says this is for age relevant stuff wish sites would stop asking for full date of birth when it's not required, gave an approximate one

Post code - wouldn't accept a part code entered my old one before it was changed years ago don't see any reason they need my full one

Gender - this has an option to rather not say so I used it.

I thought they were going to ask for my BBC license details but that was one thing they didn't ask about.

Your point is?

Perhaps they may check electronically if you have a licence or not then if not send you a letter ?

I thought they were going to ask for my BBC license details but that was one thing they didn't ask about.

That has been made a big fuss about by journalists and the BBC claim it isn't about that. But I'm 95% certain that that is the eventual agenda and at the first opportunity it will suddenly appear in a year or two when the BBC feels it is a bit higher in Public opinion and can bring in the measure without too large a backlash.

Perhaps they may check electronically if you have a licence or not then if not send you a letter ?

If you are accessing iPlayer for TV, then maybe - but not for radio I would have thought.

Just a thought...

Who actually pays for the BBC channels which are not British (EG World Service or BBC Asia etc?)

I appreciate that they (as a business) sell their commodity overseas, but do the production costs and retail costs agree?

or are British licence payers subsidising these services?

Just a thought...

Who actually pays for the BBC channels which are not British (EG World Service or BBC Asia etc?)

I appreciate that they (as a business) sell their commodity overseas, but do the production costs and retail costs agree?

Crosser, in what way do you think the BBC World Service isn't British?

If you scroll down the following link, it says..

Will you share my data with TV Licensing?

We share some of your personal data with TV Licensing to check if you are using BBC iPlayer and to keep their database up to date.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/why-we-are-asking-you-to-sign-in#!ptrt=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b091fp9p/trust-me-series-1-episode-1%23action%3Dautoplay%26signInOrigin%3Dmsi

Just a thought...

BBC corporate worldwide arm is highly profitable as a whole. It sells many TV shows all over the world. Here is their annual review showing that they made £133.8m which will have actually subsidised the UK license fee funded BBC :)

https://www.bbcworldwide.com/archive-annual-review-2015-2016

Whether individual channels such as BBC Asia make profit or not I don't have the figures.

I wouldn't mind if they did that, but then removed the geolocating online barrier as a counterpart. Saves faffing about when you're abroad.

Question, as I'm about to buy a new TV with Freeview Play built-in (this "integrates" BBC iPlayer (and ITV play and 4OD and <...>) content into the 'standard' freeview EPG): could anyone who is already using Freeview Play advise, whether this new log-in requirement is interfering with the functionality in any way?

BBC - or Big Brother Corporation

Like a black hobnail boot forever stamping on the face of society.

Most people don't realise that TV Licencing are the BBC. There is no TV licencing authority in this country.

Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 empowers the BBC to collect the licence fee.

The BBC recognised it would be hugely damaging to its brand to send out millions of threatening letters to British households, so it formed a separate legal entity called TV Licencing which it uses to collect the fees.