Unlimited broadband,still not unlimited.

I am now in the process of looking to change my broadband supplier,so I have been trawling through the comparison sites.I was really pleased to see the vast majority of providers offered "Truly unlimited broadband".However when I delved into the small print I noticed many who had offered this still had a "fair usage cap".This kind of marketing should be illegal,to me truly unlimited broadband should mean the service can be used 24/7 without incurring an extra charge.It's high time Joe Public was given some protection against providers who make these dubious claims.

The suppliers that still enforce download caps have pretty much regulated themselves out of the market.

There are still a few suppliers that protect themselves with 'FUP' clauses in their contracts but that doesn't mean they actually use them.

The vast majority of suppliers genuinely offer unlimited usage.

You'll find that most FUPs are very lenient.

The way that residential services are provided and the very reason that you can get broadband very very cheaply in the UK is due to the services being contended, providers need to have the ability to ensure that a tiny minority of their userbase can't adversely affect the vast majority.

If you really do require your service to be able to run at 100% speed 24/7 then you should consider a business service or leased line which you'll find to be many 10x the cost that you can currently get residential service for!

The meaning of the word "Unlimited" seems very flexible to most ISP's.

The main culprit I've come across over the years is Virgin Media. Their answer when I phoned them was that "you can download as much as you want" my reply was "Yes but you have cut the speed to a nigh on unusable speed" Their reply was "Ah, that's because you hit the traffic management limits" Hence the definition of unlimited! We know the definition, it seems they have a different dictionary.

I've not used Virgin for a good few years because of the above. Up to now I've had no issues with BT. Downside being that they are one of the top when it comes to price (IMO)

I think the best bet for anyone is to look at prices but more importantly, read reviews if high data use is what you need.

I can tell you My company pays £330 per month for an uncontended 50mb leased line fibre. this is guaranteed and has priority over residential traffic

Im with Plusnet, and do around 2TB of traffic, at least, every month and never get throttled.

Is there a way of using a dish and satellite service to get truly unlimited broadband?

I am now in the process of looking to change my broadband supplier,so I have been trawling through the comparison sites.I was really pleased to see the vast majority of providers offered "Truly unlimited broadband".However when I delved into the small print I noticed many who had offered this still had a "fair usage cap".This kind of marketing should be illegal,to me truly unlimited broadband should mean the service can be used 24/7 without incurring an extra charge.It's high time Joe Public was given some protection against providers who make these dubious claims.

B.T infinity is unlimited and fast mine is running at 78mbs

The meaning of the word "Unlimited" seems very flexible to most ISP's.

The main culprit I've come across over the years is Virgin Media. Their answer when I phoned them was that "you can download as much as you want" my reply was "Yes but you have cut the speed to a nigh on unusable speed" Their reply was "Ah, that's because you hit the traffic management limits" Hence the definition of unlimited! We know the definition, it seems they have a different dictionary.

I've not used Virgin for a good few years because of the above. Up to now I've had no issues with BT. Downside being that they are one of the top when it comes to price (IMO)

I think the best bet for anyone is to look at prices but more importantly, read reviews if high data use is what you need.

Virgin have very nice limits nowadays. They are concerned with uploads. So if you don't upload more than 2GB per hour then it isn't a problem. Even if you do, the max cap is 65% of your nominal upload speed. Your download speed is unaffected.

I burned through 850+GB in four months with no issues.