Is it pointless getting a pension?

Cuts are putting care under "stress and strain" and carers' efforts are being undermined, the chief inspector of adult social care in England has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33839878

I personally think elderly care should be paid by the NHS, as it is mostly a medical condition.

Is the problem that pensions are not high enough to cover a person care in old age, I understand the problem will get worse as more people get older.

We need a system that has enough funds.

Soylent Green is the way forward.

Soylent Green is the way forward.

well if your volunteering to be turned into a snack bar go right ahead :hihi:

Pointless if you older as pension conpounds.

It was on the news the other day that Lord Willis (I think, who he?) has headed a government review and made several recommendations regarding care. It included proper accredited training, better accountability, decent pay and a career structure for carers to work their way up, affiliated to the nursing profession.

It all sounded good, and long overdue, but I wondered how it was going to fit in to the 'agency' style employment methods used at present. And who was going to pay for it?

I agree with El Cid that it should come under the NHS funding, but we know how cash strapped they are, and the majority of pensioners won't be able to pay for it themselves. Many agencies just want to make as much money as they can and don't care about quality of provision, or about their staff, so they won't be volunteering anytime soon.

Everything always comes down to money, and let's face it, without money the government can't afford to do anything about anything.

Eventually it's going to have to be properly funded by the government, and the public will have to pay a little extra in tax to fund it.

I'd quote happily pay a little extra tax to ensure all pensioners get a decent level of old age care.

Eventually it's going to have to be properly funded by the government, and the public will have to pay a little extra in tax to fund it.

I'd quote happily pay a little extra tax to ensure all pensioners get a decent level of old age care.

Me too.

But then, I thought I already was.

I've paid tax all my working life, thinking it was going towards things like this. Instead it seems to have gone to bale out the bankers and keep them in the manner to which they are accustomed, bonuses and all...

Me too.

But then, I thought I already was.

I've paid tax all my working life, thinking it was going towards things like this. Instead it seems to have gone to bale out the bankers and keep them in the manner to which they are accustomed, bonuses and all...

It's a shock when you learn that your basic assumptions were wrong. The taxes that you paid historically funded the services of the day. It wasn't put in a kitty to fund any services that you may require in the future.

It's a shock when you learn that your basic assumptions were wrong. The taxes that you paid historically funded the services of the day. It wasn't put in a kitty to fund any services that you may require in the future.

Mmmm, so you're saying that I funded the care homes of the past, (and there were plenty of them, all state run and 'free' to the users,) but now I might need one in the future, I have to pay again?

Doesn't seem very fair...

Mmmm, so you're saying that I funded the care homes of the past, (and there were plenty of them, all state run and 'free' to the users,) but now I might need one in the future, I have to pay again?

Doesn't seem very fair...

The demographics were different in the past.

We had less elderly people, and they didn't live as long. Also less people moved around the country, so more of the elderly were looked after by their own family. Now our elderly are more likely to live in isolation.

Cuts are putting care under "stress and strain" and carers' efforts are being undermined, the chief inspector of adult social care in England has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33839878

I personally think elderly care should be paid by the NHS, as it is mostly a medical condition.

Is the problem that pensions are not high enough to cover a person care in old age, I understand the problem will get worse as more people get older.

We need a system that has enough funds.

I agree but good luck with that one.

My lovely Mum has Alzheimers Disease and is now in the end stage. She has been assessed by the NHS but doesn't qualify for funding by them - WHAT ?

As for the question whether it is worth paying into a pension then a crystal ball would be useful since if you are well beyond retirement a pension will pay for extras to make your life a little more comfortable. But if you become ill, any funds will be used for some time to fund your care in which case the answer has to be a resounding 'no'. Those without pensions or little money in their bank account will get their care paid for. That's the very unfair world we live in in the UK.

Edited by Daven

My lovely Mum has Alzheimers Disease and is now in the end stage. She has been assessed by the NHS but doesn't qualify for funding by them - WHAT ?

Sorry to hear about that; I guess if the NHS are doing the assesing, they are likely to refuse funding.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/downloads.php?categoryID=200310