Best course of action advice

I have a brick built garage that needed demolishing and new footing and base made ready for sectional garage.

I paid the garage company £2581 for the garage, and they sent the builder who quoted £3000 for demolition and new base this was back in June.

The builder called and asked at the time of quoting for £340 deposit to secure the days work in case we cancelled, and also £160 paid to the garage company as he isn't registered and the garage company is.

He sent a letter saying he would be here on 31/7/15 and he arrived at 8.30 stayed two hours and two cups of tea later left half a demolished garage with glass all over the garden. He told my wife he couldn't get a skip that day.

She gave him another £800 in cash ( the dozy bint) and he said he would be back Monday.

He arrived and stayed three hours, demolishing the walls but not the base and left.

The skip company have knocked a chunk out of next doors wall so not sure if it's the skip company or builder to put it right.

I sent an email to garage company and builder asking him to come to finish and stay on site all day till it's done, or return £900 as only half if garage is down.

Not really sure where to go from here if he doesn't reply. I wouldn't have paid him anymore till job was done but it's done now so need advice on next move.

I have a brick built garage that needed demolishing and new footing and base made ready for sectional garage.

I paid the garage company £2581 for the garage, and they sent the builder who quoted £3000 for demolition and new base this was back in June.

The builder called and asked at the time of quoting for £340 deposit to secure the days work in case we cancelled, and also £160 paid to the garage company as he isn't registered and the garage company is.

He sent a letter saying he would be here on 31/7/15 and he arrived at 8.30 stayed two hours and two cups of tea later left half a demolished garage with glass all over the garden. He told my wife he couldn't get a skip that day.

She gave him another £800 in cash ( the dozy bint) and he said he would be back Monday.

He arrived and stayed three hours, demolishing the walls but not the base and left.

The skip company have knocked a chunk out of next doors wall so not sure if it's the skip company or builder to put it right.

I sent an email to garage company and builder asking him to come to finish and stay on site all day till it's done, or return £900 as only half if garage is down.

Not really sure where to go from here if he doesn't reply. I wouldn't have paid him anymore till job was done but it's done now so need advice on next move.

First of all, divorce the wife!! :hihi:

Damage to your wall would be the responsibility of the company that delivered the skip! Happened to me at my old house, they reversed up my drive way and took a massive chunk out of my stone gate post! They had it replaced within a week.

Sorry can't offer advise on the builder though :( hope he turns up and finishes the job. Too many 'cowboys' out there these day.

Small Claims court for the builder, you'll have to try to get him back to finish the job first though.

Make sure all correspondence is by letter, recorded delivery and you keep a copy of each one.

First of all, divorce the wife!! :hihi:

Damage to your wall would be the responsibility of the company that delivered the skip! Happened to me at my old house, they reversed up my drive way and took a massive chunk out of my stone gate post! They had it replaced within a week.

Sorry can't offer advise on the builder though :( hope he turns up and finishes the job. Too many 'cowboys' out there these day.

I can't afford divorce

Doesn't much sound like you can afford to keep her around either :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Maybe just hide your money then??

Small Claims court for the builder, you'll have to try to get him back to finish the job first though.

Make sure all correspondence is by letter, recorded delivery and you keep a copy of each one.

He's just telephoned and said he doesn't want to finish the job, And he has removed the garage but was going to remove the base free as its not classes as part of the garage.

So if there are anymore builders that work for free send them my way

You'll have to take him to court then to reclaim the money.

It's actually quite cheap and easy to do.

Well if the builder doesn't show his face then get the wife to demolish the garage!! She'll learn soon enough to not be so frivolous :)

You'll have to take him to court then to reclaim the money.

It's actually quite cheap and easy to do.

I guess so. Need a builder urgently now

Why, when the world is littered with stories about building works' failures, do people not learn basic lessons?

You're spending c£6000......... why not do the procurement properly?

If the garage company recommended the builder, I suggest that you get back to them quickly. They probably have no legal responsibility, but they clearly do have a moral responsibility............. and I'm very sure that they would not want a news story etc etc about how they shouldn't be relied on............

Why, when the world is littered with stories about building works' failures, do people not learn basic lessons?

You're spending c£6000......... why not do the procurement properly?

If the garage company recommended the builder, I suggest that you get back to them quickly. They probably have no legal responsibility, but they clearly do have a moral responsibility............. and I'm very sure that they would not want a news story etc etc about how they shouldn't be relied on............

Already done that

As already suggested tackling the garage company seems the best course of action . See if the garage company can find you another builder to finish the job for an agreed price . Don't pay any one else until they finish the job to your satisfaction .

We all live and learn and you might end up having to put the whole venture down to experience .