Safe area to rent an house

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and, first of all, I'd like to wish you all a fantastic 2014.

So, in February I should move to Sheffield permanently.

Can you suggest me a safe area to rent an house ?

My job is located in the Sheffield Railway Station area.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mark

Welcome to Sheffield, and Sheffield Forum.

Pretty much all of Sheffield is a reasonably safe area to live in. Friendly natives, lovely cty lots of fab parks and having the beautiful Peak District National Park literally within the city boundaries,.

All areas have pockets of anti-social behaviour, but on the whole it is about "The" safest city in the country.

As "best" areas go, it depends on what you are looking for.

Are you looking for a student-y area? Walkley and Crookes fit the bill there, but are pricey.

Are you looking for lively, and multicultural? London road sort of area fits that bill. lots of pubs and restaurants, very vibrant.

It's horses for courses, really.

If you are looking for accommodation, feel free to place an advert in the "property wanted" section on here, stating what you are looking for, and where, and what budget you have.

Most of Sheffield is riddled with crime so be very careful

South Sheffield is probobly your best option apart from westfield.

Most of Sheffield is riddled with crime so be very careful.

No, it's not. A few areas are risky; most aren't.

If you are wanting safe then take a look at some of the apartments as they have security locked front doors (city centre mainly). The modern blocks are very safe.

No where is 'safe' now. it is all relative. There are areas where you might feel safer, but then someone else might not feel safe in that area. If there were any no go areas in sheffield then no one would live in them...

Sheffield is relatively a very safe city. As in most cities the most pricey areas have the lowest level of crime and these tend to be in the South of Sheffield and include postcodes Sheffield 6, Sheffield, 10, Sheffield 11, Sheffield 17, Sheffield 8, and a bit further out Sheffield 18 (there are also parts of Sheffield 6 and Sheffield 8 that are not so nice and these postcodes tend to be a bit cheaper than the others mentioned). There are also many other areas where people live safe and happy lives. Welcome to the city known as the biggest village in England. Happy New Year.

S2 (Highfield) is a relatively safe place...I'm biased as I grew up there and mum still lives there. Parking can be an issue on match days if you're close to SUFC, but a lot of the immediate area is 'residents-only' parking. It's close to the OP's workplace, too.

Dear all,

thank you very much for your precious reply.

Happy 2014 to everybody

Mark

You could move further out.

Chapeltown/High Green is quite a nice area - it also has a train station, you can catch the train to work and it's about a 10 minute trip.

Because your job is in S1, nice areas which is under the 30 minutes commutes are not that feasible to you. I would try and see if you can rent a reasonable house in Ecclesall Rd but avoid the more heavy drinking areas full of students for a quieter life.

The other areas closer to town is more and more industrious looking or a little bit more risky.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-27812041.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-41727859.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-43674473.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-33193793.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-42073351.html

Unfortunately also because this is a catchment area for schools are also close to the city centre with a nicer park near by, it is in demand ? For renting a nicer house you need to go further outwards from S1, But if you are okay with living in a flat, there are a lot of options now near S1.

Yes,

South West part of Sheffield is the right place for me (my current budget is maximum £650 month).

That's the area where I'll concentrate more.

Thank you all for your replies

...so happy to come to Sheffield :-) !

Mark