How long does a search take

Hello there,

I’m buying my first home, its my council home. In the beginning of October my solicitor sent me a mail saying they have now begun a search on the area. Its been over two month, I’ve emailed and phoned a few times the solicitor asking how long the search takes but I’ve had no reply at all from them.

Am I just being impatient? can anyone give an estimate on how long a normal or long search takes please?

Thank you

Pete

I bought my first home in early summer this year. The whole process from making an offer to getting the keys took just less than two months, never mind the searches - think they take a week or two. Also i'd be very worried if i'd not heard from my solicitor in two months.

I used Nether edge Law, who were great to deal with. I heard from them at least once a week and daily when nearing completion. I think you need to ask your solicitor some questions.

90% of searches are now electronic and instant. Your solicitor needs a push to get going, you need to start calling, emailing, texting, writing letters setting out your timescales, then do that all again the next day and everyday until they start communicating.

There will be many others doing the same so if you just expect them to contact you without prompting then you may be waiting a while.

90% of searches are now electronic and instant.

Yes, they're mostly electronic.

No, they're certainly not instant.

There are five main preliminary searches. They are:

a. Coal Authority;

b. Drainage/Water;

c. Environmental;

d. Flood; and

e. Local Authority- this last one can take up to two weeks, in the case of The Sheffield City Council.

Your solicitor needs a push to get going, you need to start calling, emailing, texting, writing letters setting out your timescales, then do that all again the next day and everyday until they start communicating.

That would be foolish. Either you trust your solicitor to contact you when all results are in, or- if you don't- why are you using an untrustworthy firm?

However, re-read post #1. OP is using the Right To Buy, so I'd guess that it's at the Council where the delays are.

We've bought four houses to date and my advice is to get on the phone to them on a regular basis to keep a check on progress, otherwise they do seem to sit back and do nothing. Give them a reasonable deadline you want to complete. You are the customer and you are paying them a handsome fee for the pleasure. Make them work for you.

Two months is not acceptable, certainly with no contact to update you.

Best of luck.

Re RTB: there is a 'delay' Notice procedure.

Maybe OP's solicitors should serve the First Delay Notice (RTB6, I think) on the Council.

I did my own searches. All responses within 2 weeks including Local Authority. Unfortunately, if you are getting a mortgage your solicitor will have to do it and will charge more than it costs in fees.

I did my own searches. All responses within 2 weeks including Local Authority. Unfortunately, if you are getting a mortgage your solicitor will have to do it and will charge more than it costs in fees.

No. Solicitors should recharge all disbursements (out-of-pocket expenses) at cost.

Hi Jeffrey, it may be at cost, but when subcontracted to a search company by the solicitor, and their fee is the disbursement, it costs the buyer more than the sum of the search fees would.

Thanks for all your input guys, very grateful! I've managed to contact them after loads of phone calls, they said they are waiting on the councils reply and should have everything sorted by end of January.

Thanks for all your input guys, very grateful! I've managed to contact them after loads of phone calls, they said they are waiting on the councils reply and should have everything sorted by end of January.

Probably re Council as vendors, then, rather than re a search (Local Land Charges Search form LLC1 and the associated Local Authority Enquiries form CON29R).