BBC iPlayer now requires sign in

hasn't it always?

what? been required sign in? no, its a very recent thing

Question, as I'm about to buy a new TV with Freeview Play built-in (this "integrates" BBC iPlayer (and ITV play and 4OD and <...>) content into the 'standard' freeview EPG): could anyone who is already using Freeview Play advise, whether this new log-in requirement is interfering with the functionality in any way?

Hello :wave:

I think there's going to be a fragmented rollout on a platform-by-platform basis. BBC iPlayer on my Amazon Fire TV for example is still not prompting me to sign in.

I'm sure that will change in due course with the next update.

Its not compulsory to sign in, I just carry on to what I am looking for and ignore the sign in bit.

Hello :wave:

I think there's going to be a fragmented rollout on a platform-by-platform basis. BBC iPlayer on my Amazon Fire TV for example is still not prompting me to sign in.

I'm sure that will change in due course with the next update.

Noted with thanks, Puggie :)

Ever since our 'smart TV' lost its capacity to play Youtube videos (when Youtube changed their codecs majorly, a couple of years ago or so?), and as LG had soon dropped support on that TV model like yesterday's pants and so never provided a fix, I'm always wary of how back-end updates could affect platform functionality.

Its not compulsory to sign in, I just carry on to what I am looking for and ignore the sign in bit.

It's not compulsory yet but will be soon. Personally I've signed in as the added features are useful.

Whats the problem??...i downloaded bbc iplayer onto my mobile,i then download the programs (wirelessly off the net) i want to playback off the radio..Tony Blackburn hits of the 60s/golden hour,Paul Gambaccini and even Len Goodman (had him on for 2 hours today on a run to Cleethorpes).. etc etc and play them back thro' my earbuds when out on my motorcycle or walking,you do not have to be connected to the internet when playing downloaded programs back..only when they are live...I have only ever signed in once.its excellent.:):):)

If you are accessing iPlayer for TV, then maybe - but not for radio I would have thought.

A radio-only user can sign in to i-player free, as radio licences were abolished long ago.