Recommendations for new television!

Just to add a couple of things.

1) Always try before you buy, especially important if it's your main TV.

2) Use the remote, It's the one part of the TV you'll be touching, make sure it feels right for you.

3) Always check the TV guide, make sure it's easy to understand and moves quickly. You'll be using it to navigate channels so it needs to be easy to use.

4) Consult other people who will be watching it.

I also have a few things i like to look for, personal preferences like....When you change channel using the up/down channel buttons can you see the channel number/program name as you pass each channel.

Does the remote have a previous watched channel button (not back a channel).

Can i record onto a USB stick quickly and easily (less important now with iplayer etc) handy when you're in the middle of a program and someone knocks on the door.

How easy is it to get subtitles up (I work early mornings and don't want to wake people)

And remember, that 55" TV doesn't look that big in the shop next to other TV's but when you get it home it won't fit.

Your going to spend a lot of time infront of a main TV so better to get it right.

Make sure you talk through the warranties and cover with Richer Sounds staff, I know of a couple of people who had the wool pulled over their eyes regarding their refundable warranties, they refund on the 6 year plan but told a couple of people I know that their 5 year warranties were refundable, turned out it was bull.

That's odd as the 6 year guarantee is usually included free if you are a VIP customer, which is easy to do as you can sign up online beforehand or in the store itself. Have a look at Mikes10 link as it states it clearly in large letters.

EDIT: Meant to add that because technology changes quick I would not buy a smart TV but a good TV and an Android TV box. That way you can play almost any video format, use a proper full browser for the internet (chrome/firefox) and also a wide selection of Android Apps. Smart TV's are normally restricted in playing back video content, have a restricted browser and limited in the Apps content because of copyright and such.

Edited by apelike

That's odd as the 6 year guarantee is usually included free if you are a VIP customer, which is easy to do as you can sign up online beforehand or in the store itself. Have a look at Mikes10 link as it states it clearly in large letters.

Not sure how long the 6 year one has been available, this happened a few years ago so no doubt things have changed but they were told by the staff that it was refundable if not used and when it was time both of them were then told it was not refundable, there have been a few cases aired on forums in the past too. I see one of the lads every now and then, next time I bump into him I'll ask what the outcome was.

I bought from RS about a year ago and the 6 year warranty was included for free.

I went with Panasonic, I'm happy with it, previously I had Samsung that I was also happy with. My parents have an LG and it's poor in comparison.

IMO you get what you pay for, the latest thing is HDR, but the sources at the moment are very limited. That said, if the TV can do HDR then it's probably a good screen...

Go onto the techradar website they give very good reviews on tvs,plus tell you the ones that are good value,a superb website

I bought from RS about a year ago and the 6 year warranty was included for free.

I went with Panasonic, I'm happy with it, previously I had Samsung that I was also happy with. My parents have an LG and it's poor in comparison.

IMO you get what you pay for, the latest thing is HDR, but the sources at the moment are very limited. That said, if the TV can do HDR then it's probably a good screen...

That 6 year cover is very good, they didnt have it when my mates bought their tv's, they had two different types of 5 year cover, one was just standard cover and the other I think was called something like 5 year supercare cover, the latter was not available on tv's and I think some staff may have mistakenly told customers that they would get their cover costs back, 10% of the total unit price, must have just been confusion over policies.

There are some sick LG OLED 4k TVs in Costco for 1000 £, i was drooling over it like teenager over playboy

That 6 year cover is very good, they didnt have it when my mates bought their tv's, they had two different types of 5 year cover, one was just standard cover and the other I think was called something like 5 year supercare cover, the latter was not available on tv's and I think some staff may have mistakenly told customers that they would get their cover costs back, 10% of the total unit price, must have just been confusion over policies.

They provide the 6 years cover because basically they have to, all electrical items should be good for a minimum of 6 years, so if something dies from general use in less than 6 years, you can legally contact the manufacturer and get a repair or replacement....

Richer Sounds know this, and is why they offer the 6 years, it makes them look good (compared to other companies that only offer 1 year or so)

Other companies state 1 year etc, as that is the standard warranty, in case of DOA, or incorrect purchase returns etc....

But under the Consumer Rights Act products should be good for 6 years...

have a read...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2875453/The-six-year-warranty-right-shops-don-t-tell-customers-Law-says-retailers-responsible-dealing-complaints-official-guarantee-expires.html

Its up to 6 years and it doesn't mean all products, electrical or not, should last 6 years.

The 6 years comes in because of the Limitations Act https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitation_Act_1980 By law you can only claim for up to 6 years later.

Also the burden of proof is on the consumer after the first 6 months, this means they have to prove the fault was there at the time of purchase. If the consumer cannot they the retailer doesn't have to do anything.

The Dail Mail have incorrectly described it as a 6 year warranty. Products do not have to be good for 6 years.

Its up to 6 years and it doesn't mean all products, electrical or not, should last 6 years.

The 6 years comes in because of the Limitations Act https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitation_Act_1980 By law you can only claim for up to 6 years later.

Also the burden of proof is on the consumer after the first 6 months, this means they have to prove the fault was there at the time of purchase. If the consumer cannot they the retailer doesn't have to do anything.

The Dail Mail have incorrectly described it as a 6 year warranty. Products do not have to be good for 6 years.

I disagree, I have had items that have just stopped working after about 4 years, I contact the manufacturer, talk to them, mention the 6 years thing, and they immediately say to send the item back for assessment, 9 times out of 10 they replace, and usually with a newer item (as the original is no longer available)

I guess it helps that I look after my items, so don't drop them etc, if it's something I have done, then I won't expect them to repair or replace...

I have also worked for companies, that offer standard 1 year warranty on items, but as soon as a customer mentions the 6 year thing, everything is done to resolve the issue.....

I disagree, I have had items that have just stopped working after about 4 years, I contact the manufacturer, talk to them, mention the 6 years thing, and they immediately say to send the item back for assessment, 9 times out of 10 they replace, and usually with a newer item (as the original is no longer available)

I guess it helps that I look after my items, so don't drop them etc, if it's something I have done, then I won't expect them to repair or replace...

I have also worked for companies, that offer standard 1 year warranty on items, but as soon as a customer mentions the 6 year thing, everything is done to resolve the issue.....

You can disagree with the law all you like it doesn't mean it isn't the law. Please see what I said about the Limitations Act, also re-read the Consumer Rights Act - burden of proof is on the customer after the first 6 months of purchase. The act does not say goods have to last 6 years.

The law is the law Ghozer.

Maybe it wasn't you but not long ago I'm sure you were telling people on here that shops could pass the buck to the manufacturer. No offense but I don't think your knowledge of consumer rights is that good, techie stuff yes but rights not so much.

Your rights are with the shop you bought it from not the manufacturer. The manufacturer might CHOOSE to offer a remedy but legally they don't have to.

You can disagree with the law all you like it doesn't mean it isn't the law. Please see what I said about the Limitations Act, also re-read the Consumer Rights Act - burden of proof is on the customer after the first 6 months of purchase. The act does not say goods have to last 6 years.

The law is the law Ghozer.

Maybe it wasn't you but not long ago I'm sure you were telling people on here that shops could pass the buck to the manufacturer. No offense but I don't think your knowledge of consumer rights is that good, techie stuff yes but rights not so much.

Your rights are with the shop you bought it from not the manufacturer. The manufacturer might CHOOSE to offer a remedy but legally they don't have to.

I know the burden is with the customer, but like I said, maybe it's something to do with looking after items, if the item is in obviously good condition upon inspection, and the manufacturer opens it and sees no damage, traces the fault to something that can't have been caused by a drop or water or something (of which there would be other signs) - then it's going to be a fault in the item, there's nothing else it can be...

mentioning the 6 years to them, only makes them accept the item back for inspection, it doesn't make them exchange or repair, I know....

I have worked for large electrical retailers, and was trained up on consumer law, and procedures when customers quote the 'fit for 6 years' stuff, etc... of which most large companies have a procedure in place now..

I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe I just explained it badly, and was really only drawing on my own experiences...