The Closed Shop - Reet Ale Pullin Out

This from Chris

A Message from The Closed Shop Team

Hi everyone,

Let’s start this email positively, shall we? On Wednesday (when the Community group leaves The Closed Shop), we will have been trading for 90 days. That’s a little longer than the “4-8 weeks” originally suggested by Punch! In those 90 days, we’ve given employment to over 10 people; provided a space for local artists to display their creations and for local groups to meet; a safe place for vulnerable members of our society to enjoy themselves; hosted families, parties, gatherings and quizzes; and served an awesome selection of real ale and cider. We’ve done a lot and proved that you don’t need a big brewery behind you to do well.

Unfortunately, all good things must end (apparently).

Under community-ownership, the pub has performed really well, and we could continue to run it if we were asked to. Unfortunately, that was always very unlikely. Stancill Brewery have managed to negotiate a commercial lease with Punch Taverns and will take ownership of the pub on Thursday 11th August. I am under the impression, that they will be open again within a week or two - although I cannot say this with any certainty, because Stancill have ignored repeated requests for details about their plans.

There will be a few changes at the pub, but we have been told that there will be nothing major. They are planning to add two hand pumps, I believe, and split the choice between 5 Stancill beers and 5 guests. Almost all of the old staff will be leaving, as they have become a little disillusioned by the way that Stancill and Punch have conducted themselves during the last few months. The current manager has been told by Stancill that he is not wanted and his family have been told that they will have to leave on Thursday 10th August; a new manager is being brought in from the Norfolk Arms in Grenoside.

On behalf of The Closed Shop team, I would like to thank everybody who got involved with the community project, and who supported us by eating and drinking at our pub over the past few weeks. It has been a humbling experience to serve this community and we are gutted that it is ending in such unpleasant circumstances.

In the meantime, The Closed Shop team will be looking into the feasibility of opening a community-owned micropub in the area. If you are interested in hearing more, then keep checking your inbox as we will be using the community group’s facebook page and email list to share ideas (at least until we get a new social media home).

Take care everyone. See you soon.

Chris, Sam, Rhiannon, Seamus, Gordon, Beth, Ria, Dave, Kirsten, Ellie, Izzy, Chloe, Tim, Ingrida, Bruce, Joe and Ryan

P.S. Remember - our last day of trading will be Wednesday, so come and buy a drink!

Stancill are certainly busy in their pub portfolio`s.

They have done a good job with The Albion, be interesting to see how they do opposite the Hallamshire House

Article in The Star here. The interim manager doesn't sound happy.

---------- Post added 10-08-2017 at 19:52 ----------

Stancill are certainly busy in their pub portfolio`s.

They have done a good job with The Albion, be interesting to see how they do opposite the Hallamshire House

To be honest I can't ever remember having a Stancill beer that I've liked.

Closed Shop open again.

10 hand pumps although not a single blonde beer on and a least 4 pale ales. Stancill beers all ÂŁ2.50, guest beers all ÂŁ3.

Closed Shop open again.

10 hand pumps although not a single blonde beer on and a least 4 pale ales. Stancill beers all ÂŁ2.50, guest beers all ÂŁ3.

Excellent, hopefully we'll be trying it out tomorrow.

---------- Post added 20-08-2017 at 17:08 ----------

Excellent, hopefully we'll be trying it out tomorrow.

Went today, some very good guest beers but very quiet because Stancil don't seem to have been bothered about telling anyone it is open. Dead FB pages, dead websites...come on this is the era of social media and to have NO presence whatsoever is really amateurish.

Edited by taxman

Went today, some very good guest beers but very quiet because Stancil don't seem to have been bothered about telling anyone it is open. Dead FB pages, dead websites...come on this is the era of social media and to have NO presence whatsoever is really amateurish.

To be fair last night was the quietest I've known on Commonside in 25 years - only half a dozen in the Hallamshire. But yes, they haven't given the launch anything like the publicity that they gave for the Norfolk, Horse and Jockey or the Albion - all I can find is a single tweet.

They currently have a Facebook event promoting this weekend as the first weekend open and there will be special offers on Friday afternoon until 7pm. I'm guessing this week is something of a soft launch. It is also worth noting the kitchen isn't yet up and running.

http://www.facebook.com/events/1070213386447929

They currently have a Facebook event promoting this weekend as the first weekend open and there will be special offers on Friday afternoon until 7pm. I'm guessing this week is something of a soft launch. It is also worth noting the kitchen isn't yet up and running.

http://www.facebook.com/events/1070213386447929

I'd have thought a good place to advertise the event would be in the pub itself - as of tonight still nothing.

I note that the one comment on FB - "sounds awesome" - is from the co-owner of Stancill.

Went in tonight. Very quiet...apart from the deafening music. Ears still ringing.

Seems to have lost all the atmosphere it had before. Beer selection Ok but no proper cider to be had. Some maybe added soon I’m told.

Hopefully it’ll get better soon and I’ll be down for the Friday special but Blake for us on Saturday.

Sat in the very pleasant beer garden right now but we are almost the only customers. Excellent guest beers but Stancil's own stuff still leaves me disappointed.

Guest makapaka

Taken the pool table and the quiz machine out - don't know why.There are only 2 lagers, both stancils own and both aren't very nice. The beer I had was good.

The bar staff were friendly and they're obviously working away trying to get it up and running.

I'm surprised at the rush to open it actually, the previous tenant has obviously taken all the pictures etc with them so it looks really bare and there is no card payment at the moment.

I would have thought they would have got it a bit more presentable before opening to make a better impression.

Early days though and interested to see how it goes. Will give it a try again next time I'm out.

It seemed quite busy last night (Tuesday), and several guest beers on. Stancil's own were cheap (ÂŁ2.50/pint for the Barnsley and the Porter) but guests were more expensive (ÂŁ3.50 for the Northern Monk IPA). All were nice, though.

The music was not too loud, but the tuneless singing from a table of elderly gents was a bit trying at times! It seems to have chnaged in character from the Reet Ale days, when it seemed rather genteel.