SMS shows as pending when bluetooth active

I have a Sony Xperia Z5 Compact and in the last few months when I have bluetooth active on the phone and I send an SMS message (using the default messenger app), the message sends to the recipient but still shows as pending (swirly circle). To clear this, I have to turn off bluetooth and restart the phone, at which point it sends the message again. When bluetooth is not active, SMS behaves normally.

I have had a recent update to Android 7.1.1 and this did seem to fix the issue but it has now returned. Has anyone experienced this ? (and hopefully resolved it !). TIA ! :)

Even if it sits saying "pending" does the recipient actually receive the SMS?

You could check the Messages app settings, check that it's not trying to send via a BT device when BT is turned on (as some can, depending on the device(s) you connect via BT)

If not, go into Settings > Applications and find the Messaging (SMS) app... from there "Clear data" and "Clear Cache" (Note: backup / copy any texts or info you wish to keep first)

Thanks for replying - Yeah, they get the message when I first send it and then get it again once I turn off bluetooth and restart the phone to clear the pending sign.

Will clear the data and cache later once I've checked there aren't any texts I need to keep.

Thanks for replying - Yeah, they get the message when I first send it and then get it again once I turn off bluetooth and restart the phone to clear the pending sign.

Will clear the data and cache later once I've checked there aren't any texts I need to keep.

If they are actually getting the message, then that would suggest the app isn't updating/refreshing the display once sent, and marking as "sent" (for whatever reason)

with BT turned off, does it behave properly? send 1st time, show as sent etc...

if clearing the cache/data doesn't help, then there may be something to do with the BT settings, or some other Messaging app that's causing a conflict somewhere when BT is turned on, something to look more into if that's the case!

Since you said updating seems to fix it at first, it would suggest some setting you're changing, or an app you are installing is what's causing the issue..... or a combination of both!

If I restart the phone with no BT on it works fine, if BT is on it has a problem. If I turn BT off without restarting the phone it's hit and miss.

I did try clearing the cache/data on the messaging app to no avail so I cleared the bluetooth data off the phone and that seems to have a limited success. It still shows pending for a while (up to 4 minutes) but then does return a sent status.

I suspect it's just a case of fiddling with the settings until I stumble across it ! :)

Thanks for your suggestions :)