The three merry lads

It's a complete dive.

Has been for YEARS.

Needs to be run along the same lines as Cricket Inn in Totley which is currently better than it has ever been.

I said exactly the same, needs to be a destination pub all year round rather than a 'lets go to a country pub' type place for summer bank holidays. Will only achieve this with a lot of money spent on it and a good chef. Had no passing trade as such so needs to build a reputation, there is enough money in the area, not an equal comparison but the rising sun a mile or two down the road is booming.

Haven't been in the place for years,what's the Sportsman like now.

I remember going to the Three Merry Lads occasionally in the mid 1970's. It used to be a nice country pub back then. Pubs like that used to appeal because they were near to open countryside and a lot of the young ladies I went out with were very interested in wildlife. So it was ideal from that perspective. :love:

It must be over 10 years since I last visited that place. I recall I had my car broken into whilst visiting.

I'm a person that doesn't have a "local" pub. I don't mean there aren't any near me, there are plenty, but I don't have a regular place. This is because I like to continually try new places and have new experiences. I'm a bit like that with life in general - I'm definitely not one of these folks who likes to "stick with what I know" - no thanks! That doesn't mean I don't repeat experiences that I enjoy - but I'm always looking for new ones. And so it is with pubs.

For me a pub has to have one or more of the following:

Good beer

I mean, real/craft ale, not fake real ale like most pubs have. And preferably a range of it, not one or two on cask.

Good food -

That can be just good plain homely pub food, or something more Bistro'ish, Gastro-pubish, I really don't mind. But it should do what it's supposed to do. i.e. if it's setting out to charge restaurant standard prices then the food should be restaurant standard food - not basic pub fare.

Nice surroundings

I'm talking about what it's like to actually be in the pub. It could be about the building itself and it being of architectural interest, it could be about the way it's set out and decorated, it could even be about the lighting. All these things create an atmosphere which makes it pleasant or otherwise to just be there.

Nice area

If a pub is in a nice area, maybe one where there are some lovely country walks or things to see and do, I'm more likely to visit it than if it's in the middle of some housing estate.

Nice people

To be fair, a lot of the pubs I go in have a real mix of folks from all walks of life and I like that. But some places are cliquey and some places are rough and I don't like either of those.

Nice atmosphere

This is a combination of the place and the people that contribute to it being a nice experience to go there.

When I think back of the Three Merry Lads, it didn't tick the boxes on many of those things. Maybe it scores on it being a reasonably nice area, but not much else.

Which is why I never went back.

And probably why it's in its closed state now (not because of me - but because others felt similarly about it).

Edited by DerbyTup

I remember going to the Three Merry Lads occasionally in the mid 1970's. It used to be a nice country pub back then. Pubs like that used to appeal because they were near to open countryside and a lot of the young ladies I went out with were very interested in wildlife. So it was ideal from that perspective. :love:

It must be over 10 years since I last visited that place. I recall I had my car broken into whilst visiting.

I'm a person that doesn't have a "local" pub. I don't mean there aren't any near me, there are plenty, but I don't have a regular place. This is because I like to continually try new places and have new experiences. I'm a bit like that with life in general - I'm definitely not one of these folks who likes to "stick with what I know" - no thanks! That doesn't mean I don't repeat experiences that I enjoy - but I'm always looking for new ones. And so it is with pubs.

For me a pub has to have one or more of the following:

Good beer

I mean, real/craft ale, not fake real ale like most pubs have. And preferably a range of it, not one or two on cask.

Good food -

That can be just good plain homely pub food, or something more Bistro'ish, Gastro-pubish, I really don't mind. But it should do what it's supposed to do. i.e. if it's setting out to charge restaurant standard prices then the food should be restaurant standard food - not basic pub fare.

Nice surroundings

I'm talking about what it's like to actually be in the pub. It could be about the building itself and it being of architectural interest, it could be about the way it's set out and decorated, it could even be about the lighting. All these things create an atmosphere which makes it pleasant or otherwise to just be there.

Nice area

If a pub is in a nice area, maybe one where there are some lovely country walks or things to see and do, I'm more likely to visit it than if it's in the middle of some housing estate.

Nice people

To be fair, a lot of the pubs I go in have a real mix of folks from all walks of life and I like that. But some places are cliquey and some places are rough and I don't like either of those.

Nice atmosphere

This is a combination of the place and the people that contribute to it being a nice experience to go there.

When I think back of the Three Merry Lads, it didn't tick the boxes on many of those things. Maybe it scores on it being a reasonably nice area, but not much else.

Which is why I never went back.

And probably why it's in its closed state now (not because of me - but because others felt similarly about it).

It's got lovely surroundings, other than that it's got nowt going for it.

I believe the lease is up for sale too.

was a nice pub 40 years ago, they did a nice liver and onion sandwich