Being confrontational

Can't you take a friend along with knowledge of cars?

Thats's a good idea, thanks. Unfortunately, most of my friends are geeky computer expert types...

As a bit of general help, it is good if you don’t have any emotional connection to the situation. For example, acting like an agent. That way, I would find it easier to complain (and confront the situation) if it was on behalf of someone else, as opposed to my own issue. Likewise we could use a colleague/friend to complain on our behalf in the same way.

Being assertive and using the right body language helps. Unfortunately not everyone is 6'2" and has a deep voice but the physical things do have an unconscious effect.

If you work out your first sentence beforehand, short and simple, and once it is said you have usually set the area of discussion and your position. Then wait . . . . its human nature to fill pauses in conversation . . . wait for the other persons response.

Good luck

How do you people cope with being confrontational? Are you able to stay calm and firm? What's the best, most effective way, to be confrontational?

Just say it as it is. If you upset people by being blunt, tough, thats their problem.