Nunnery Colliery.

The Nunnery Colliery occupied the land from Woodbourn Road up to and past The Makro. I think the pit took it's name from the nearby Nunnery Farm.

Does anyone know of a map that may show a nunnery or convent before the pit was sunk in about 1868 or any other information as to how it got the name? Thanks.

Edited by cat631

The Nunnery Colliery occupied the land from Woodbourn Road up to and past The Makro. I think the pit took it's name from the nearby Nunnery Farm.

Does anyone know of a map that may show a nunnery or convent before the pit was sunk in about 1868 or any other information as to how it got the name? Thanks.

Just go on http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk and type Nunnery in the search box, I know there is a map on there.

My late Aunt was the daughter of Jim Cowlishaw who had Nunnery Farm, and his son Jack was a coal merchant.

When did this pit close, I have a pair of brass scissor style coal tongs marked Compliments of Nunnery Colliery, came from an Aunt about 45 years ago,I was wondering how old they could be.

Edited by beezerboy

We all called it Cowlishaws pond,it was a magnet for kids in Summer.

There's this Directory entry courtesy of http://www.sheffieldindexers.com:

Cardwell, Joseph (, farmer).

Residing at Nunnery House Park, in 1837.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1837.

Cardwell, Wm (, Farmer).

Residing at Nunnery Farm,Park, in 1852.

Recorded in: White's Gazetteer & General Directory of Sheffield - 1852.

Remember cowlishaws farm, played many a hour on the pit hills as we use to call them

When did this pit close, I have a pair of brass scissor style coal tongs marked Compliments of Nunnery Colliery, came from an Aunt about 45 years ago,I was wondering how old tey could be.

Thanks for all your replies. The pit closed 1953.

were there any fatalities at this pit ? only my grandad was supposed to have worked there and helped pull out some victims from a collapse and would like to know if its true and when it was .

Nunnery Colliery about 1954/5 during demolition. The winding gear over No.1 shaft is middle left of the photo with white walls. No. 2 winder is behind and on the extreme left. There was a third shaft over to the right that is not visible.

Parkway Avenue.

The tall trees on the left are on the site of No.1 shaft. The site of No.2 shaft is about where the distant cars are.

The two boilers in the middle of the last photo were sited where the Makro gate is.

Sorry, I've had to remove the photos due to a problem. Will try to put them on again.

Edited by cat631