Pubs in Crookes- share your history/ memories/ photos

Bowling Green still there though.

Yes, the bowling green is still there.

In reply to your earlier post, I was brought-up up in Crookes and though I have lived in other places, I always seem to end-up back here.

I lived there in the 50's and 60's

CWMC, is still there on it's original site. Don't know when your memories date from, but all the Mulehouse Road side is pretty much as it was, the Midfield Road/Stannington view part ( the playing field etc.) was sold-off for housing years ago.

Lived on Tasker Rd and School rd left Crookes in 1973 My Nans neighbours were members of CWMC. When I was a child and stayed with my Nan on a weekend I would see them going out all dressed up on a Saturday night and Sunday night. Thought they must have been going somewhere very posh. Lol!

Used to hang out a lot on Tasker Road. but I think we had that conversation before ;-)

Used to hang out a lot on Tasker Road. but I think we had that conversation before ;-)

Yep with the O'Neils and was it Peter Glue?

O'Neils Yes..... Peter Glue Nope.

there is the long gone grindstone, now flats (opposite broomheads). Also the "madhouse" that was on the crookes/crosspool border. Can't think of any more.

Was the "Grindstone" a seperate pub to the The Old Grindstone " ? Which still stands on the corner of Crookes road and Crookes .

Edited by BIGLIL
NOT PUB LISHING IN THE CASE SIZE THAT'S BEING TYPED

It was. There was a row of shops and the Grindstone pub approximately where the brick council flats are now, but they were nice old buildings, so had to be knocked down ! I have in mind that the Original Grindstone, was built after the Grindstone (and therefore not the Original Grindstone), could be wrong there, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Can anyone out there tell me about Crookes WMC Cricket club during the 1940's. Where did they play home fixtures?

I hold a diary of fixtures games reports in 1949 written by my father Harry Gill and it seems that Crookes won the Gunstone Shield in that year and had a terrific Season in the Norton and District League.

Team heroes mentioned at that time are Jack Schofield, Fred Brammer, Ted Stevenson, Cyril Arnold, Alf Greaves and George Pagden as well as others. Does anyone know about these people and whether any are still alive and/or whether the club members would be interested in seeing the diary?

Crookes WMC, had a football and cricket pitch at the side of the club. The boundary was Suthard Cross Road - Midfield Road - Stannington View Road, the area where the newer houses are. It was surrounded by a high wooden fence, oddly it included the top half of Midfield Road, the pavement exactly where it is now. There was a large pavilion at the top end.

I am researching a book on Sheffield pubs and I have drawn a bit of a blank with the pubs at Crookes. I lived up there from 2000-2004 and I have my own memories but I am looking for stories, information and pictures on any of the following-

Ball

Cobden View

Masons

Noahs

Old Grindstone

Original Grindstone

Princess Royal

Punch Bowl

Please post/ pm or email me [email protected]

Cheers

Lawrence( Lol ) Wilson had The Punchbowl 1970s

Lawrence( Lol ) Wilson had The Punchbowl 1970s