Could 1p and 2p coins become a thing of the past?

The 1p is currently worth less due to inflation than the 0.5p when it was phased out. IIRC the world did not come to an end.

As for rounding up/down this can be enforced through legislation, again no need to panic.

Many shops would probably leave prices the same and then round up on the whole bill if you were paying cash, so you would only be "losing out" on 4p maximum anyway, which on a big shop is barely nothing and would actually be nothing if you paid by card.

I (and I would imagine a lot of other people) always put the 1ps/2ps in change I get in shops in the charity box. If theyre done away with I wonder if a lot of charities will lose out?

They can now put in spare 5 pence coins instead, the charities will be happy then.:) Bit like bob- a- job lol.

oh, seems they wont be ditching them after all

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43407298

Great news...I like to walk round my local schools at dinner time, the schoolkids come out buy their fish n chips, etc. and any lose change they have they chuck it away, nice little earner for me.

Always said uk is rather slow with actual practical steps that break through old habbits.

Next year this topic will still be going on with all the pennies in circulation.

Always said uk is rather slow with actual practical steps that break through old habbits.

Next year this topic will still be going on with all the pennies in circulation.

yup i agree, set in our ways....just look at some on here :P

i do agree we all hoard / throw them away so if they need to keep putting them into circulation, that money could be better spent?

The 1p is currently worth less due to inflation than the 0.5p when it was phased out. IIRC the world did not come to an end.

As for rounding up/down this can be enforced through legislation, again no need to panic.

The government never bothered before to stop prices being rounded up or Quantity of product diminishing. Anyway irrelivant now I suppose.

I dont like the silly 1ps,2ps or 5ps infact to be quite honest I dont like our Currency full stop. horrible plastic notes ect,ect. Just my Opinion. :hihi:

I dont like the silly 1ps,2ps or 5ps infact to be quite honest I dont like our Currency full stop. horrible plastic notes ect,ect. Just my Opinion. :hihi:

How about Yap stones then, PRESLEY?

Nothing wrong with low value shrapnel...I pick pennies up all the time off pavements.

See a penny, pick it and all the day you'll have a penny!

How about Yap stones then, PRESLEY?

I prefer a Pint a Stones. :hihi: