Help needed in tracing lost relatives

Hi,this is my first posting,dont know if im on the right thread,but does any body have any info about how to trace long lost ex sheffield folk?

I,m trying to trace my uncle who moved to calgary,canada,many years ago,all i can come up with is pay sites,any help much appreciated.

Moved to this thread as seems more appropriate.

Suggest you start with Friends Reunited, that's free for searching for folk.

You might want to try genealogy.com or ancestry.com. Haven't been on it for a while, but they used to have free message boards. Well the whole thing used to be free across the site but now they make you be a member. Hopefully the messageboards are still free at least.

You search by surname as well, and people were always looking for lost relatives.

Another possibility is rootsweb.com

Good Luck!!

Thanks will give that a try.

Hi Deano

Still Digging?

Try the Canada White Pages for names, telephone numbers and addresses.

Pop T (NZ)

Hi popt,

found that site last night,very useful,is that the same as our phone book? found six possible matches,but what i need is an email address,dont fancy ringing strange canadians,still may have too yet as emails seem very hard to find,presuming of course the person has one!

Hi Deano

Go ahead and ring the Canadians they are very friendly but before you do take advice and write down all your questions on a paper first.

I have been through this exercise and believe the help I received from perfect strangers was unbelievable, I was sent a 6 page handwritten family tree from San Francisco.

Good Luck

See you in the Market in June.

See me in the market?

Yes i think i will try ringing,will have to make a note of the differant time zone though,dont think they would appreciate me ringing in the middle of the night,

thanks for your help.

Hi Deano,

Try the site

http://www.genesconnected.com Click on Records Board and post your search there. It is part of the Friends United site but concentrates only on family history, plus lots of help and info for us researching our relatives.

I know there are Canadian people on this site who are looking for the relatives over here, and some of them have given out good info to people tracing relatives in Canada.

Best of luck. It is a very friendly and helpful site.

Margaret