Forcing the sale of a jointly owned property

Thank you for the feedback. It seems that your decision to let him get on with the sale is a sensible one. It could be the the best thing - as you say, you can then sever your connection with him. Wish you well with this and hope that everything goes smoothly.

at least if the worst happens you can give the person a top referance,or is it possible for a joint buy between you and the tennant on a basis hes a sitting tennant,that way you may gain advantage.

@Hippogriff, since the original OP I have received a solicitors letter inviting me to agree with 'him' the nomination of estate agents to place the property on the market for sale at the best available price. If this cannot be agreed they have instructions to bring an Application under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees for an Order for sale of the property.

I am making an assumption that there'll be a stage where it costs you something to do something, defend, protest, what-have-you... but there'll be a long time before that arrives where you can be obstructive and it will cost you nothing. I think it would be delicious to have the person forcing the issue (against your will) to pay his Solicitor just that little bit more in fees, for writing you various letters etc.. That may well be the child in me... but I would probably not roll over quite so easily. I might even relish writing a few letters back, off my own back, asking for clarity from his side about certain stuff... they may engage, they may not, but it all just frustrates the other party. I would certainly not agree to any price any Estate Agent came up with, on principle... make this something that's worked for... appointment after appointment, you need to be present, obviously - and to fit your own diary.

You can probably get to the stage where a hearing date is set (if that's how it works) before you have to pay anything, and at that point it's possible you can just relent, intentionally... and you've incurred no costs, but have been a great thorn in their side. Maybe you can even go all the way to the end without it costing you a penny (I don't know).

Only as an example, I once protested / appealed a Council Tax Band and the VOA did reject my appeal and eventually I ended up in front of 3 old gents in Doncaster, putting my case, and the VOA Listing Officer did the same - I won, but if I'd lost I would not have had to pay anything to anyone. Maybe what's to happen here is much the same, but maybe with a Court... plus, it might be a nice day out. It was for me.

I would probably research the mechanisms of this "Application under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees for an Order for sale of the property". It doesn't seem right (at least to me) that someone can bring some kind of action against you (without you having done anything wrong per se) and it end up costing you any money, just because you want to say "nah, mate".

I am making an assumption that there'll be a stage where it costs you something to do something, defend, protest, what-have-you... but there'll be a long time before that arrives where you can be obstructive and it will cost you nothing. I think it would be delicious to have the person forcing the issue (against your will) to pay his Solicitor just that little bit more in fees, for writing you various letters etc.. That may well be the child in me... but I would probably not roll over quite so easily. I might even relish writing a few letters back, off my own back, asking for clarity from his side about certain stuff... they may engage, they may not, but it all just frustrates the other party. I would certainly not agree to any price any Estate Agent came up with, on principle... make this something that's worked for... appointment after appointment, you need to be present, obviously - and to fit your own diary.

You can probably get to the stage where a hearing date is set (if that's how it works) before you have to pay anything, and at that point it's possible you can just relent, intentionally... and you've incurred no costs, but have been a great thorn in their side. Maybe you can even go all the way to the end without it costing you a penny (I don't know).

Only as an example, I once protested / appealed a Council Tax Band and the VOA did reject my appeal and eventually I ended up in front of 3 old gents in Doncaster, putting my case, and the VOA Listing Officer did the same - I won, but if I'd lost I would not have had to pay anything to anyone. Maybe what's to happen here is much the same, but maybe with a Court... plus, it might be a nice day out. It was for me.

I would probably research the mechanisms of this "Application under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees for an Order for sale of the property". It doesn't seem right (at least to me) that someone can bring some kind of action against you (without you having done anything wrong per se) and it end up costing you any money, just because you want to say "nah, mate".

I have to admit, that is rather tempting :hihi: