New Irish Bar for Sheffield.

Having been to Irish pubs in all parts of Ireland over the last few years, including Temple Bar, I'm pretty convinced that the majority are "fake authentic" anyhow. the only difference between a pub in Ireland and a busy pub in England is that there are more American tourists in the ones in Ireland and they often have a bunch of musicians playing any music in the typical popular Irish style.

The Best Guinness I tasted in Ireland was in Belfast and the stuff they were serving a few weeks ago across the Liffey from the Guinness Brewery in a local bar was no different in taste or presentation that what I could have bought from a city centre bar in Sheffield.

I always think a great pub is much more than just the range of drinks served......hospitality and warmth counts for a lot and on that basis alone I've always enjoyed Flynns on Trippet Labe

Having a missus with a Southern Irish mam and visiting Ireland many times, I can honestly say the Oirish Bars here bear little or no comparison with the real ones over the watter in Co Mayo where the relatives live.

Angel1.

Has anybody ventured into this pub yet?  Molly Malone's on West St. 

Must admit, until I came across this old post of mine, I'd forgot all about it. 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Has anybody ventured into this pub yet?  Molly Malone's on West St. 

Must admit, until I came across this old post of mine, I'd forgot all about it. 

Yes. It's like stepping back in time to the late '90s, except free wifi and everyone is looking at their phones.

1 hour ago, belperite said:

Yes. It's like stepping back in time to the late '90s, except free wifi and everyone is looking at their phones.

Cheers. 

As expected.  So just like the "cod Oirish" bars of the past then & nothing like the Grapes / Flynns. 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

2 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

As expected.  So just like the "cod Oirish" bars of the past then & nothing like the Grapes / Flynns. 

Indeed.

On 24/01/2019 at 14:55, belperite said:

I know what you wrote & we should have listened but In town the other Saturday afternoon so we thought we'd give it a try.  £4.50 for a Guiness when a 5 min walk down to Flynns I can get the same for £3.50.

I know it was early in the afternoon but the place was empty with the only life coming from the several tv's which were turned down.  Contrast that with Flynns, walked in, Irish fiddle band playing & the place was packed. 

Not saying Molly Malone's is a bad pub, could see it being packed on a night time, mainly because it's on the West St curciut but I prefer the more genuine tradition of Flynns & my pocket takes less of a hit. 

Oh no. Not another parody of an Irish bar that you can find in every resort.

Edited by prince al

Guest makapaka
On 24/01/2019 at 16:02, Baron99 said:

Cheers. 

Could any new pub open and immedialtely

be like the grapes or dog and partridge?

I think its more Irish themed than actually genuinely irish like Flynns or Fagans ... I've been in once and its nice , although hope they resolved the sticky floor issue .... However alas I wont be able to enjoy it any more as its in West St and I dont frequent that area any more due to not feeling safe in town of an evening now 😞