Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

05-06-2018, 20:40   #41
max
Leftie epeeist

Total Posts: 11,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
Time to get behind the Lord Mayor. I have no idea how the Mayor is appointed, but this guy got the nod and seems to want to put his stamp on the position.

Angel1.
The LM is appointed yearly and each party has their candidate chosen on a rota based on the number of councillors they have. So if Labour have 56 members, Lid Dems 22, Greens 4 and others 2 then the Greens will get 4 LMs over a period of 84 years, Labour 56, etc. The party will choose who their LM is when it's their turn.

In answer to another question they are still paid their councillor's allowance plus any expenses they incur in the role of LM.
_______
UK debt now 1,920 billion. It was 700 billion in 2010. Tories, who lied they were paying it down, close to TRIPLING it. Safe with economy?
- Jan 2017
05-06-2018, 20:55   #42
hackey lad

Total Posts: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranza View Post
He's off to Europe already...
Seen it now . Couple of weeks into the job and got a nice little biking holiday booked . Hope hes not claiming expenses for this

---------- Post added 05-06-2018 at 20:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
The LM is appointed yearly and each party has their candidate chosen on a rota based on the number of councillors they have. So if Labour have 56 members, Lid Dems 22, Greens 4 and others 2 then the Greens will get 4 LMs over a period of 84 years, Labour 56, etc. The party will choose who their LM is when it's their turn.

In answer to another question they are still paid their councillor's allowance plus any expenses they incur in the role of LM.
Thanks for that
05-06-2018, 21:33   #43
Bob Arctor

Total Posts: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcockney View Post
well now tell me what a somalian refugee at 28 years of age got to offer and what credentials to hold office apart from the PC angle?? as for how he was dressed is disrespectful to the office.
I can't see what him being Somalian has to do with whether he has anything to offer, except to a racist.

And yes, let's remember that such luminaries as Jackie Drayton have previously held this office - the prestige! The understated gravitas of the role!
_______
If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself

From each according to their ability, to each according to their need
07-06-2018, 20:13   #44
upside_down

Total Posts: 4
I saw calls on Breitbart (had to wash my screen after visiting that <removed>) for him and Sajid Khan to be executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchresearch View Post
Its not the only example, others have been much worse.
07-06-2018, 22:43   #45
apelike

Total Posts: 4,087
I think that he will be a great mayor and welcome the fact that he may have a different and more modern approach even though this is just a ceremonial role. The days of God save the Queen and men in suits is slowly but surely coming to an end. At least he wont wear some bloody awful hats or outfits that the last mayor wore.
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon
08-06-2018, 06:04   #46
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Total Posts: 17,355
Good for the Greens! I think he'll raise their profile amongst voters for a start. Hopefully he'll inspire some younger people to take an interest in politics. On one hand people complain about 'the council', but very little changes. Perhaps he'll be the catalyst.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha
08-06-2018, 11:27   #47
mickey finn

Total Posts: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Arctor View Post
I can't see what him being Somalian has to do with whether he has anything to offer, except to a racist.

And yes, let's remember that such luminaries as Jackie Drayton have previously held this office - the prestige! The understated gravitas of the role!
Exactly, he does seem like a decent lad though, he is enjoying the fame too, lets hope he livens the role up.
08-06-2018, 11:42   #48
Eater Sundae

Total Posts: 7,114
Don’t know him and what he stands for (other than he is in the Green Party). I also don’t know how much impact a Lord Mayor has in what is a ceremonial role, but...

Even if he achieves nothing more than appearing at lots of photo opportunities for the next year, it will be very worthwhile. The (albeit superficial) appearance of such a photogenic and positive person will do nothing but good for the city.

I’m not trying to imply that this is all he has to offer, but just that he does provide a positive and youthful “go ahead” image which I’m sure will benefit Sheffield. Looks like a really good call by the Greens in picking him as our representative.

(Edit: It might also cause some people to reassess their own ideas of what a Somalian is).

Last edited by Eater Sundae; 08-06-2018 at 11:45.
08-06-2018, 11:51   #49
sheffbag

Total Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey lad View Post
Seen it now . Couple of weeks into the job and got a nice little biking holiday booked . Hope hes not claiming expenses for this[COLOR="Silver"]

:
That is a troll comment isnt it? The guy is cycling to the Somme to raise money for the Sheffield Memorial Park.
08-06-2018, 12:22   #50
property4u

Total Posts: 38
He's a fellow countryman, he come across like a breathe of fresh air, what a charming, positive, thoughtful and caring guy with get up and go. I think that he will do wonders, in fact I think that he already has. Very many congratulations and wishing him all the very best :-)
08-06-2018, 13:35   #51
darylslinn

Total Posts: 588
He's making people sit up with his upfront and modern attitude.
I like what he's doing, breaking down the walls between stuffy local politics and the general public, after all we are all talking about him now aren't we.

The only issue i've got is he makes me feel old..... ha ha
_______
Regards
Daryl.
08-06-2018, 14:10   #52
WalkleyIan

Total Posts: 1,334
good for him

Sheffield’s new Lord Mayor is swapping his chains of office for a bike chain – to raise money to commemorate the city’s war heroes in an epic bike ride....

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheff...hain-1-9198434
08-06-2018, 22:28   #53
prince al

Total Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylslinn View Post
He's making people sit up with his upfront and modern attitude.
I like what he's doing, breaking down the walls between stuffy local politics and the general public, after all we are all talking about him now aren't we.

The only issue i've got is he makes me feel old..... ha ha
Right on bro!
Stop the world, I want to get off.
09-06-2018, 17:02   #54
Baron99

Total Posts: 395
His.only power is the asting vote in any debate that's tied.

Having had a look at what he's done so far, I still say more self-publicitist & 'chancer' than genuine political Green activist? I'd state that if the local Labour Party offered him a better chance, he'd jump ship?

He's already been on Channel 4's 'Hunted'; offering 'Celebrity Big Brother' & he'll be off.
09-06-2018, 17:37   #55
Holiday1166

Total Posts: 221
Or love island ?
10-06-2018, 01:51   #56
gamezone07

Total Posts: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
Whilst I agree that those who hold high office should behave with the decorum that befits their office, I cannot see how Majid's behaviour calls that into question.
If Boris Johnson, the one time occupant of the Mayor of London, can shag about, bad mouth people from other cultures / classes, and generally behave like he was still on the playing fields of Eton and get away with it, then people should have no complaints about Majid, who as far as I can see has done little to warrant criticism.
I have met him, he is a decent guy, but that image just grated.
10-06-2018, 03:22   #57
lfc321

Total Posts: 29
I have spoken at an event with him which was attended by 100+ visitors to the city. He was a great speaker and left a huge impression on them. He spoke so proudly about Sheffield as a city, and the way in which the city welcomes people from all countries - visitors as well as refugees like him.
He is a fantastic advert for our city. It has been picked up in the media worldwide. I’ve seen comments from people on twitter from USA, Australia and many more countries saying what breath of fresh air he is.
I’m not from the same party as him, so have no political affiliation with him. But I do know that already he has done more to raise the profile of Sheffield around the world than the last 10 Lord Mayors combined. And, apart from the odd open racist, all of that coverage has been entirely positive.
13-06-2018, 16:09   #58
WalkleyIan

Total Posts: 1,334
He was on the One Show last night, Russ from the bike hut getting good publicity as well for supplying the bikes for the charity bike ride.

Big video piece in the Guardian

He's done the Chatsworth flower show meeting local investors.

He got my workplace (the AMRC) on national TV visiting Factory 2050.

So not a bad couple of days getting Sheffield in the news.
13-06-2018, 20:38   #59
glennpickard

Total Posts: 397
If Magid has only a ceremonial role, not connected to economics or city direction, not sure of the value. But what economic powers and infrastructure changes are proposed for Dan Jarvis ? Will he have control of the city's/region's revenues/expenses ?

Last edited by glennpickard; 13-06-2018 at 20:41. Reason: missed word
14-06-2018, 17:01   #60
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Total Posts: 15,321
Lord Mayors' role has only ever been ceremonial, in recent years at least.
Reply To Topic