Sheffield Forum

World Cup 2026 hosts

Home > General > General Sports Chat

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-06-2018, 12:57   #1
InigoMontoya
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Total Posts: 993
Will be hosted in Canada, the USA, and Mexico.
_______
A hyena dancing on the grave of a lion
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 13:17   #2
melthebell
*gets coat*
melthebell's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Near whitby, originally from Sheffield
Total Posts: 59,163
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
Quote:
Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
Will be hosted in Canada, the USA, and Mexico.
wonder if trump will charge more for people coming from canada and mexico?
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 14:05   #3
alchresearch
Registered User
alchresearch's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Southport
Total Posts: 30,712
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
Hopefully his presidency will be a distant memory by then!
_______
Peugeot & Citroen Diagnostics Specialist. PM for details.
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 15:40   #4
Calahonda
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Total Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchresearch View Post
Hopefully his presidency will be a distant memory by then!
Yes, Obama and Clinton could claim victory in a North/South Korea peace deal along with the North abandoning their nuclear programme, Trump, who was he?
:hihi
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 15:59   #5
tinfoilhat
Registered User
tinfoilhat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Total Posts: 15,487
So Mexico in 70 and 86, USA in 94. England, 66.

Yep, nothing wrong with that at all.
_______
We get the world we deserve.
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 16:48   #6
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchresearch View Post
Hopefully his presidency will be a distant memory by then!
It is bound to be, they only get 8 years as President over two terms max

---------- Post added 13-06-2018 at 11:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post
So Mexico in 70 and 86, USA in 94. England, 66.

Yep, nothing wrong with that at all.
Indeed the birthplace of football gets this treatment yet the US whose population mostly hate the game get a third shot. But did England even bid this time?

---------- Post added 13-06-2018 at 11:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
Will be hosted in Canada, the USA, and Mexico.
Yeah, and the vast majority of Canadians and Americans don't even like the game and make fun of the fouling and drama that often comes with it. Plus they find it boring compared to North American sports. Yes, "soccer" is a minority sport over here, way down the list.

Last edited by Ontarian1981; 13-06-2018 at 16:52.
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 17:27   #7
Bilge
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Total Posts: 2,213
England can only bid when it’s Europe’s turn for a tournament. Russia counts as Europe for these purposes although part is in Asia. So 2030 maybe the next possible one I think.

Previous bids have been stitched up by dodgy deals, allegedly.

England should get it in my lifetime I’m hoping. But may have to link up with other British nations and/or Rep of Ireland. But then there is the issue of our 4 national FAs rather than one UK FA and team. FIFA don’t like that.
_______
bilge balderdash baloney claptrap cobblers codswallop drivel hogwash hooey poppycock tosh tripe twaddle
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 17:59   #8
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahonda View Post
Yes, Obama and Clinton could claim victory in a North/South Korea peace deal along with the North abandoning their nuclear programme, Trump, who was he?
:hihi
Not if Trump gets the Nobel Prize lol

---------- Post added 13-06-2018 at 13:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge View Post
England can only bid when its Europes turn for a tournament. Russia counts as Europe for these purposes although part is in Asia. So 2030 maybe the next possible one I think.

Previous bids have been stitched up by dodgy deals, allegedly.

England should get it in my lifetime Im hoping. But may have to link up with other British nations and/or Rep of Ireland. But then there is the issue of our 4 national FAs rather than one UK FA and team. FIFA dont like that.
How come Morocco was bidding when the 2022 WC is in Qatar?
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 18:39   #9
Padders
Registered User
Padders's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 10,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian1981 View Post
It is bound to be, they only get 8 years as President over two terms max

---------- Post added 13-06-2018 at 11:51 ----------



Indeed the birthplace of football gets this treatment yet the US whose population mostly hate the game get a third shot. But did England even bid this time?

---------- Post added 13-06-2018 at 11:58 ----------



Yeah, and the vast majority of Canadians and Americans don't even like the game and make fun of the fouling and drama that often comes with it. Plus they find it boring compared to North American sports. Yes, "soccer" is a minority sport over here, way down the list.
Quite right Mr T. but I did read where football is gaining popularity very fast in the USA.
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 21:27   #10
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padders View Post
Quite right Mr T. but I did read where football is gaining popularity very fast in the USA.
In the schools it's a girls' game lol
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 23:08   #11
blake
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lahug, Cebu city, Philippines
Total Posts: 2,511
it's getting to the point now where individual countries, even rich ones like Switzerland and Sweden who have hosted World Cups in the past, can no longer put together bids even if they wanted to, without being laughed at. They can't afford it and need to spread the costs around. If Sweden were to host the World Cup again, they'd need Norway, Finland, Denmark, and possibly even Icicleland to help out. And they'd still probably lose.

what is noticeable this time is how few bids there were.

the USA is one of the few countries in the world that can put together a soccer World Cup tournament on their own. Having a tournament in the USA is always a good idea as everybody at FIFA, as well as everybody else who cares about soccer, knows how important making soccer a really popular sport in the USA is, and if it does happen, then it really will be Planet Football. The USA is the last wilderness, the 'El Dorado' for European fussball imperialism. You can hardly blame FIFA for having another crack at it, over 30 years after 1994.

This will be a USA tournament in all but name, almost all of the games will be played in the USA and very few in the other two countries.

plucky Morocco keep trying and in a way I'm disappointed they haven't made it. I'd rather it was them, with maybe Spain helping out rather than Qatar next time for sure.

Last edited by blake; 13-06-2018 at 23:23.
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 00:09   #12
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
it's getting to the point now where individual countries, even rich ones like Switzerland and Sweden who have hosted World Cups in the past, can no longer put together bids even if they wanted to, without being laughed at. They can't afford it and need to spread the costs around. If Sweden were to host the World Cup again, they'd need Norway, Finland, Denmark, and possibly even Icicleland to help out. And they'd still probably lose.

what is noticeable this time is how few bids there were.

the USA is one of the few countries in the world that can put together a soccer World Cup tournament on their own. Having a tournament in the USA is always a good idea as everybody at FIFA, as well as everybody else who cares about soccer, knows how important making soccer a really popular sport in the USA is, and if it does happen, then it really will be Planet Football. The USA is the last wilderness, the 'El Dorado' for European fussball imperialism. You can hardly blame FIFA for having another crack at it, over 30 years after 1994.

This will be a USA tournament in all but name, almost all of the games will be played in the USA and very few in the other two countries.

plucky Morocco keep trying and in a way I'm disappointed they haven't made it. I'd rather it was them, with maybe Spain helping out rather than Qatar next time for sure.
They said after the first WC in the US that it would get more people into football didn't happen then and won't happen any time soon. As in Canada, the only ones really into football are immigrants and some of their kids who have come from footballing countries. We have Toronto FC who are extremely well supported, but only by a small segment of Brits, Italians, S.Americans, Portuguese and every other nationality under the sun. It is also same with all MLS clubs. True, this 2026 WC will be a financial success but don't kid yourself that it will ever come close to the NFL , NHL ,NBA and MLB in popularity in America and Canada at large.

Last edited by Ontarian1981; 14-06-2018 at 00:11.
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 00:58   #13
blake
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lahug, Cebu city, Philippines
Total Posts: 2,511
the profile of soccer in the USA has increased following 1994, not by much, and also as you say mostly by immigration patterns, but fact is much more people are playing soccer on bits of spare ground on their time off work, in improvised-type games who previously would have just played basketball, than they did before. Soccer is growing, in the United States.

you can hardly blame FIFA for wanting to have another stab at it.
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 05:22   #14
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
the profile of soccer in the USA has increased following 1994, not by much, and also as you say mostly by immigration patterns, but fact is much more people are playing soccer on bits of spare ground on their time off work, in improvised-type games who previously would have just played basketball, than they did before. Soccer is growing, in the United States.

you can hardly blame FIFA for wanting to have another stab at it.
The problem is the most popular sports in North America are all played in high schools and colleges and that is where all the future stars come from. There is no equivalent for football at any level, and as I mentioned earlier it is mainly a girls game in schools. Also, there are no real leagues over here for players to develop. Remember Owen Hargreaves, who was born here in Canada but was shipped to Europe by his British parents at an early age to hone his skills? There is really nowhere over here where that can happen, the MLS is full of failed or ageing pros from Europe or South America. It is pretty much like Hockey in the UK, the players have to be brought in from Hockey-playing countries, they are not homegrown. It would take a lot more than a few World Cup tournaments to change the sports culture of North Americans, believe me.

Last edited by Ontarian1981; 14-06-2018 at 05:27.
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 10:52   #15
EmmaJones76
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Total Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian1981 View Post
How come Morocco was bidding when the 2022 WC is in Qatar?
You are aware they are in totally different continents, yes?
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 16:52   #16
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJones76 View Post
You are aware they are in totally different continents, yes?
So what, they are both very hot Arab Countries in the Northern Hemisphere with lots more sand than grass .
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 17:10   #17
horribleblob
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Europe
Total Posts: 5,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
wonder if trump will charge more for people coming from canada and mexico?
There'll need to be turnstiles in his beautiful wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchresearch View Post
Hopefully his presidency will be a distant memory by then!
When Trump met with Chinese President Xi Jinping, didn't he say: Hes now president for life. President for life ... I think its great. Maybe well have to give that a shot some day.

Many a true word is spoken in jest, and all that.
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 17:21   #18
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by horribleblob View Post
There'll need to be turnstiles in his beautiful wall.



When Trump met with Chinese President Xi Jinping, didn't he say: Hes now president for life. President for life ... I think its great. Maybe well have to give that a shot some day.

Many a true word is spoken in jest, and all that.
They would have to change the constitution big time down there for that to happen, as a US President can only spend 8 years in office i.e. 2x4 year terms max. Mind you Russia had that, but Putin weaselled his way around it.
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 20:31   #19
Baron99
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Total Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post
So Mexico in 70 and 86, USA in 94. England, 66.

Yep, nothing wrong with that at all.
And why has the N. American / Mexico bid been successful?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/s...world-cup.html
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 20:47   #20
Jim Hardie
Registered User
Jim Hardie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 7,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian1981 View Post
They would have to change the constitution big time down there for that to happen, as a US President can only spend 8 years in office i.e. 2x4 year terms max. Mind you Russia had that, but Putin weaselled his way around it.
FDR managed three terms. Can see Trump going for it after first pardoning himself.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:22.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018