Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Lots of 2nd gtx 1070's available recently

Home > General > Computer & Tech Chat

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-06-2018, 19:54   #1
gamezone07
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Total Posts: 1,539
as above, on ebay, gumtree, offloading miner rigs?
  Reply With Quote
12-06-2018, 21:43   #2
apelike
Registered User
apelike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Total Posts: 4,185
Probably and also trying to cash in while prices are still up. I bought mine brand new a while ago and paid 349.99 for a gamer OC edition yet these are used and still going for around 330 upwards.
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon
  Reply With Quote
12-06-2018, 22:12   #3
Ghozer
Are you a God!?
Ghozer's Avatar
 
Forum Helper
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: I live, Alone... Age: Too Old!
Total Posts: 14,714
I paid about 300 for one back in Feb lat year, for an Asus ROG Strix 1070

they peaked at over 700 for the same card as mine at one point!
_______
Life is a tool, use it wisely and properly. Don't break it, because you can't exchange it if you do.
Life is an instrument, it needs regular cleaning, maintenance and tuning to keep it at its best.

Fear, is not knowing. Terror, is finding out.
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 11:34   #4
tzijlstra
Registered User
tzijlstra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 12,730
Status: Online
I can FINALLY get a card at a reasonable price again. Stupid Cryptominers...
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 13:24   #5
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 71,150
I have a 980gtx, is it worth upgrading to a 1070, or would that not be an improvement?
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 13:38   #6
Ghozer
Are you a God!?
Ghozer's Avatar
 
Forum Helper
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: I live, Alone... Age: Too Old!
Total Posts: 14,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
I have a 980gtx, is it worth upgrading to a 1070, or would that not be an improvement?
the 1070 is approx the performance somewhere between a 980 and a 980 Ti..

however, it's much more efficient, uses less power, is cooler, and has 8GB RAM instead of 4
_______
Life is a tool, use it wisely and properly. Don't break it, because you can't exchange it if you do.
Life is an instrument, it needs regular cleaning, maintenance and tuning to keep it at its best.

Fear, is not knowing. Terror, is finding out.
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 13:56   #7
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 71,150
Probably not worth the upgrade then tbh.

I suppose I could SLI them, but I have no need.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 14:31   #8
zach
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Total Posts: 219
I was looking at this thread and yes, I'd say a lot of bit mining people are trying to off load their kit. Not sure why but I imagine that it's not the pot of gold it was made out to be.

I was thinking of upgrading my 1080 to the Ti. It seems the new Nvidia line has been put on hold so for now, that's not an option. I was thinking of the Vega 64 but it seems that's roughly on a par with the 1070... not sure how true that is. Only problem is, selling the 1080 that was a gift seems a bit like kicking the people in the teeth who bought it me (I know, I'm a bit funny like that)

My career in IT revolved round servers (basic graphics) so the jury is out. I'd need to sell the EVGA SC2 1080 to help fund the Ti... worth it?

I do use a 4k telly as a monitor

EDIT: Yes tzijlstra totally agree. The high end stuff seems to be 100-150 cheaper in the space of a month. I also blame manufacturers & retailers for hiking the price but I suppose that's business. If you can get it, you'll ask it.

Last edited by zach; 13-06-2018 at 14:37.
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 14:57   #9
Ghozer
Are you a God!?
Ghozer's Avatar
 
Forum Helper
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: I live, Alone... Age: Too Old!
Total Posts: 14,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Probably not worth the upgrade then tbh.

I suppose I could SLI them, but I have no need.
Not really worth it, game has to support scaling on SLI, and in some games it can even drop performance...


Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
I was looking at this thread and yes, I'd say a lot of bit mining people are trying to off load their kit. Not sure why but I imagine that it's not the pot of gold it was made out to be.
it's not that, it's the fact a new load of ASIC miners have been released which are (in some cases) up to 10x faster than GPU mining...


Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
I was thinking of upgrading my 1080 to the Ti. It seems the new Nvidia line has been put on hold so for now, that's not an option. I was thinking of the Vega 64 but it seems that's roughly on a par with the 1070... not sure how true that is. Only problem is, selling the 1080 that was a gift seems a bit like kicking the people in the teeth who bought it me (I know, I'm a bit funny like that)
Again, like the 980 above, the performance gain from a 1080 to 1080 Ti, isn't really much of a difference, sure there is an improvement, but is it worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
My career in IT revolved round servers (basic graphics) so the jury is out. I'd need to sell the EVGA SC2 1080 to help fund the Ti... worth it?

I do use a 4k telly as a monitor
I personally wouldn't say it's worth it, I got the 1070 before the 1070Ti was even announced, and sure, it would be nice to have a Ti, but I don't see that the difference is worth the time and hassle selling the 1070, and paying extra just for the Ti..


Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
EDIT: Yes tzijlstra totally agree. The high end stuff seems to be 100-150 cheaper in the space of a month. I also blame manufacturers & retailers for hiking the price but I suppose that's business. If you can get it, you'll ask it.
the manufacturers never rose the prices, it partly the retailers (some), but mostly people buying them cheap to sell for more (because miners were paying higher prices for them) - then they sold out, so prices of existing (and used) cards raised due to low supply and high demand.. etc...
_______
Life is a tool, use it wisely and properly. Don't break it, because you can't exchange it if you do.
Life is an instrument, it needs regular cleaning, maintenance and tuning to keep it at its best.

Fear, is not knowing. Terror, is finding out.
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 15:22   #10
zach
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Total Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghozer
I personally wouldn't say it's worth it, I got the 1070 before the 1070Ti was even announced, and sure, it would be nice to have a Ti, but I don't see that the difference is worth the time and hassle selling the 1070, and paying extra just for the Ti..
And that's the argument I have in my head when looking.

As it's a 4k TV and not a high refresh rate gaming monitor, would I really see/notice a big gain. Would the games I play be that much better on the Ti... Tomb Raider, Prey and Resident Evil etc. I don't play many FPS online as I'm bad. My idea of gaming is a controller, can of beer and my ecig

I hear you mate and advice taken onboard. I'll be honest and say it's still not out of the question though. But I do think that within the next year, we will see new offerings from both AMD and Nvidia so I may keep the 1080 until such a time.
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 16:20   #11
apelike
Registered User
apelike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Total Posts: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
I have a 980gtx, is it worth upgrading to a 1070, or would that not be an improvement?
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/c...cmp%5B%5D=2953

Its has a faster clock, more memory, runs cooler and uses less power. When I first powered mine up, an EVGA with ACX 3.0 cooling, I let out a big sigh as I thought it was broken as the fans were not turning. Turns out that they don't kick in till the temp is up, and that was running Assassins Creed Origins at 1440p on full settings. Because of that even when they do kick in it is very quiet so to me that's a bonus. Just noticed however that they are still being sold new @ 544+ on ebay.
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon
  Reply With Quote
13-06-2018, 18:46   #12
tzijlstra
Registered User
tzijlstra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 12,730
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
And that's the argument I have in my head when looking.

As it's a 4k TV and not a high refresh rate gaming monitor, would I really see/notice a big gain. Would the games I play be that much better on the Ti... Tomb Raider, Prey and Resident Evil etc. I don't play many FPS online as I'm bad. My idea of gaming is a controller, can of beer and my ecig

I hear you mate and advice taken onboard. I'll be honest and say it's still not out of the question though. But I do think that within the next year, we will see new offerings from both AMD and Nvidia so I may keep the 1080 until such a time.
Stay with what you have. Both AMD and Nvidia are set to go on a new architecture in 2019 that should see significant improvements over the current generations, which is now getting long in the tooth.

I put a PC together with the aim of upgrading over time - I intend to use it as the gaming client in a streaming/recording setup with my Mac as the streamer/recorder. I bought to upgrade - a very nice Corsair case and PSU combo that was expensive but will last the next decade, a B350M AMD AM4 motherboard (The new 4xx series isn't yet a proven improvement), a best value AMD 2200G APU (which has the ability to play most current titles on 1080p with decent settings even without a GPU) and 8 Gb of RAM, I dropped in two SSDs I had lying around anyway. Over the next few months I will drop in a GTX1060, another 8Gb of RAM and get a video capture device. End of the year it will get a Ryzen 7 CPU. That combination sets me up for 2019, then by the end of that it will be upgraded with the latest MoBo/CPU/GPU.

Not sure why I told you that, just excited that I can FINALLY think about building a PC for reasonable prices again (although RAM is still horrendously expensive).
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 08:52   #13
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 71,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
And that's the argument I have in my head when looking.

As it's a 4k TV and not a high refresh rate gaming monitor, would I really see/notice a big gain. Would the games I play be that much better on the Ti... Tomb Raider, Prey and Resident Evil etc. I don't play many FPS online as I'm bad. My idea of gaming is a controller, can of beer and my ecig

I hear you mate and advice taken onboard. I'll be honest and say it's still not out of the question though. But I do think that within the next year, we will see new offerings from both AMD and Nvidia so I may keep the 1080 until such a time.
Surely a 1080 to a 1070Ti isn't an upgrade at all...

---------- Post added 14-06-2018 at 08:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by apelike View Post
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/c...cmp%5B%5D=2953

Its has a faster clock, more memory, runs cooler and uses less power. When I first powered mine up, an EVGA with ACX 3.0 cooling, I let out a big sigh as I thought it was broken as the fans were not turning. Turns out that they don't kick in till the temp is up, and that was running Assassins Creed Origins at 1440p on full settings. Because of that even when they do kick in it is very quiet so to me that's a bonus. Just noticed however that they are still being sold new @ 544+ on ebay.
I can barely hear my PC right now, the fans on the graphics card do ramp up if I switch into a game, but then I don't notice because there is game audio, and they ramp down very quickly when I exit.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 10:13   #14
zach
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Total Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone
Surely a 1080 to a 1070Ti isn't an upgrade at all...
I wasn't on about a 1070Ti, I was looking at going from the GTX 1080 to the GTX 1080 Ti. I think it may have been Ghozer that mentioned the 1070Ti. Or, there could be a typo along the way, I've not read back

@tzijlstra, I bought a 2400G with a B350 for my NAS. They are fantastic APU's. I didn't do too much homework on the APU so I got a nice surprise when I started it up! It's an ITX build and I use the only PCI-E for the RAID card. The onboard GPU is very good. I thought the few comments I'd read about it were hype... not at all.

As for the Corsair case, I bought a 500D (the cheaper one) for my main PC. A very nice, well built case.
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 11:57   #15
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 71,150
Oh I see, an upgrade of a 1080 to a 1080Ti, that's even less of a jump than from my 980!
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 12:08   #16
zach
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Total Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Oh I see, an upgrade of a 1080 to a 1080Ti, that's even less of a jump than from my 980!
That seems the general opinion the more I read on here and the web. There's the usual die hard 1080Ti owners who say it's a massive jump but I don't think I'd see it so I'm going to hang on for a year or so.
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 12:17   #17
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 71,150
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...price-rumours/

The next generation of nvidia cards seems to be surrounded in rumour and uncertainty at the moment (with regards to when we'll see it).
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 13:59   #18
zach
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Total Posts: 219
I did read a few posts along the same lines.

AMD raised the bar with power to price on the Ryzen CPU's. The Vega may have done better if the bitcoin mob hadn't triggered a price hike.

Maybe the likes of Intel and Nvidia are holding releases back to see if AMD has anything else up their sleeve. We know Nvidia has a powerful GPU in the silly money market (Titan V) I also read about Samsungs new graphics memory. A lot of things suggest new graphics on the horizon. How soon is the burning question.
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2018, 15:53   #19
gamezone07
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Total Posts: 1,539
the 2nd hand 1070's seem to coming down significantly in price this week, but very wary as who knows if they have been used for mining.
  Reply With Quote
22-06-2018, 22:34   #20
ez8004
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Total Posts: 1,247
I think the price drops are in anticipation to the release of Nvidia's new graphics chipset codenamed "Turing" and expected to carry the designation 1180. Rumoured launch is July 2018.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:16.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018