The way things used to be .

There were television frequencies 405 and 625 I think. I've no idea how they worked.

Television repair man was always busy. I suppose nowadays if a TV has a problem it's disposed of and a new one purchased.

The austerity cuts haven't made us more frugal in many respects.

Talking of frugal.... I've a one-off event to attend and looked to have a good pair of shoes re-heeled and re-soled. I was quoted £35.00.

I thought there's no reward in making do and mend.

Reading the post on marriage that's how it was , I met my wife to be in 1965 got married in 1968 , no money , managed to get a mortgage for a house on wincobank hill £2650 , £20 per month mortgage and struggled to pay . Best years of my life .

Remember we used to have Sing something simple on a Sunday evening, back in the day there wasn't a deal on TV at 7pm on a Sunday. Also my mum and dad used to listen to the Archers on a Sunday morning when we were having our Sunday morning fry up.

Remember we used to have Sing something simple on a Sunday evening, back in the day there wasn't a deal on TV at 7pm on a Sunday. Also my mum and dad used to listen to the Archers on a Sunday morning when we were having our Sunday morning fry up.

I lived with my grandparents until I was 12 and she had Mrs Dale's Diary on every day. People over here think I am kidding when I tell them that a ventriloquist had a top-rated radio show. Remember Educating Archie? :hihi:

I lived with my grandparents until I was 12 and she had Mrs Dale's Diary on every day. People over here think I am kidding when I tell them that a ventriloquist had a top-rated radio show. Remember Educating Archie? :hihi:

Yes Mr.T. my mam too,with Mrs. Dales Diary ('I'm worried about Jim'). I think the Archer's was a compendium of the previous week's show that was on a Sunday morning between the religious stuff and 'Family Favourites'. Then came ' The Billy Cotton Band Show' at one o'clock after that came various shows: 'Take it from Here' (Jimmy Edwards), 'The Clitheroe Kid' with Jimmy and Ken Platt,:'The Navy Lark; ' The Ken Dodd Show' and the best to me was -well in 1965- was 'Round the Horne' which was new to my callow ears. 'Educating Archie', didn't Max Bygraves get in there ? and the voice was Peter Brough. Good Sunday radio entertainment, well as long as Arthur Askey wasn't part of it.

Yes Mr.T. my mam too,with Mrs. Dales Diary ('I'm worried about Jim'). I think the Archer's was a compendium of the previous week's show that was on a Sunday morning between the religious stuff and 'Family Favourites'. Then came ' The Billy Cotton Band Show' at one o'clock after that came various shows: 'Take it from Here' (Jimmy Edwards), 'The Clitheroe Kid' with Jimmy and Ken Platt,:'The Navy Lark; ' The Ken Dodd Show' and the best to me was -well in 1965- was 'Round the Horne' which was new to my callow ears. 'Educating Archie', didn't Max Bygraves get in there ? and the voice was Peter Brough. Good Sunday radio entertainment, well as long as Arthur Askey wasn't part of it.

WAKEY WAKEY, best programme for me was, beyond our Ken.

WAKEY WAKEY, best programme for me was, beyond our Ken.

Yes Padders, still Kenneth Horne

Billy Cotton's son, Billy Cotton junior was head of BBC Light entertainment for a few years...mmmm.

Edited by St Petre
add

Ha! Ha! Ha! ...... Where's me shirt. :hihi:

Oh I forgot about Mrs Dales Diary didn't it use to be on about 4pm I seem to remember coming home from school and my mum listening to it, or was that something else?

Going back to old tv sets, my grandmother's set had a magnifying glass stuck to the front but light got in at the sides giving the image a pink hue, early colour tv?

Thanks for the "I'm worried about Jim" bit, all the shows seemed to start with that.

Wasn't it Educating Archie that launched Julie Andews as well as Max Bygraves? And wasn't Peter Cavanagh, the impressionist (The Voice of them all) on that show too?

Remember "For the Schools", that used to come on at 11 am on weekdays, and reminded you you'd better have a good excuse tomorrow, for missing school! :)

Edited by trastrick

The never never .We had everything on't tick in our house ,The teli was rental with a box on't back to put two bob pieces in it came from radio rental on't Moor, we had a washing machine that had a big paddle in the middle and that was from Wiggy's also rented.

My first car( that actually got from A to B without breaking down) was a Ford Classic shaped like a space ship with twin head lights, bright yellow with white roof ,it was from Auto Finance on Richards Road at Heely Bottom the down payment was £35 and then £8 a week for years and years ,although it only lasted 6 months before they repossessed it due to me being laid off in the bad winter and skint.

I even had a three piece suit on't tick from Holdens at Crookes it was about two quid a week and old Mr Holden would knock on your door on a Friday to collect his money, if you closed the curtains to trick him to thinking you were out he would hide around the corner then come back ten minutes later to catch you in ,

he even used to check the back grate to see if it was newly wet he always got his two quid in the end even though the suit was being worn for work at Wimpy's or Longdons and covered in gobbo.

We had cheque men who would give you a Pagetts cheque to spend at Seniors or Beryls so as to get a nice frock ,shirt or standard lamp ,he would also call Friday tea time as it was wages day ,he was also a crafty sod but was often out foxed by a moonlight flit or some one being called up to fight a war in Korea or Aden.

The washing machine was called Ada same as my mother in law.

Edited by Albert smith