S c c to introduce red line routes

Sheffield council are to start introducing red line routes in an attempt to stop selfish parents parking right outside schools starting with totley .will drivers take any notice or not ?

Name and shame em.

People should take photos of their cars parked illegally and post them online.

Lines may be on the floor but will there be anyone around to enforce them???

No excuse for bad parking outside schools, it's lazy and dangerous.

Would this be any different to the current situation, where road markings are not enforced.

Will penalties be any different?

Will there be more enforcement?

If not, then I don’t see the point.

You can't park on the yellow zig-zags anyway...where will the red routes stretch? Will this mean local residents won't be able to park near schools?

Guest makapaka
You can't park on the yellow zig-zags anyway...where will the red routes stretch? Will this mean local residents won't be able to park near schools?

Possibly - but if it makes it safer that's a good thing isn't it.

Would people know what the new markings mean? Yellow lines, zig zags, kerb markings etc have been around for years and are already ignored. People who understand the current markings but choose to ignore them are likely to ignore any new ones. And added to them will be those people who do not understand the new markings.

My preference would be heavy enforcement of current markings with immediate penalties or retrospective backed up with video evidence, in case it’s impractical to book people in the short time they are there. Go round the problem schools, one at a time, a couple of day’s each. That should concentrate the minds of the bad drivers, and things will soon improve. No doubt, over time, standards will drop again. Then another little purge will be needed to improve things again.

Possibly - but if it makes it safer that's a good thing isn't it.

You'd need to ask people affected by this...see what they think I suppose...

Guest makapaka
You'd need to ask people affected by this...see what they think I suppose...

Not really - I don't need to know about where someone parks their car to know that I would advocate making children safer.

So more legislation (and expense) to be ignored. Why not enforce the existing laws about not parking in restricted areas? Who will be enforcing this legislation?

I believe it is Sheffield City Council's parking services team that deal with parking on double yellow lines, not the police. So you have the situation recently, on Main Road Darnall outside Dobsons, where police were dealing with cars parked on the zig-zag lines for the crossing and waiting for Sheffield City Council's parking services team to turn up and deal with cars parked on the double yellow lines :huh:

Not really - I don't need to know about where someone parks their car to know that I would advocate making children safer.

There's a specific problem caused by parents for about two hours of the day, but you'd not be interested in the views of residents who will be affected 24hrs a day and most likely don't park like idiots anyway...