Sheffield Forum
Your message here

S c c to introduce red line routes

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Yesterday, 12:45   #41
Planner1
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: S10
Total Posts: 8,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Does it extend further than the yellow zigzags and double yellow lines that it's replacing?

I agree that if there are 24 hour clearways (is that for the 24 hr trams we don't have) then red lining might make it a bit more clear to some drivers.
The school at that location is expanding and has two new entrances so there were not any school zig zags there.

Trams start at 5am and run till about 1am. Do you think allowing drivers to park on tram routes between 1am and 5am would be useful then?

Or is it simply better to send out a consistent message that you can't park on that route.
_______
Planner1's views are his own and do not reflect those of his employers, past or present.

Last edited by Planner1; Yesterday at 12:48.
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 16:50   #42
actionman
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Total Posts: 1,553
Im all for it. I bet at least 50% of commuting parents live within a 1.5 mile radius of school. WALK!
_______
on the sacrificial altar to success my friend!!
then pot the red and screwback...
then tuck him up!!!
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 16:57   #43
bumpyroads
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Total Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionman View Post
Im all for it. I bet at least 50% of commuting parents live within a 1.5 mile radius of school. WALK!
Many do. But not everyone has this option. See my earlier post. I'm all for encouraging active travel and preventing dangerous parking but there needs to be *somewhere* where kids can be safely dropped off.
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 17:35   #44
1978
Registered User
1978's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: S17
Total Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudds1 View Post
Sheffield council are to start introducing red line routes in an attempt to stop selfish parents parking right outside schools starting with totley .will drivers take any notice or not ?
Red routes in places like the London North Circular are generally well obeyed. Prince of Wales Road is suitable for them because they'd be accepted as common sense at all times.

I often drive along Baslow Road through Totley at school arrival times and parking is indeed bad. Residents' cars can cause congestion at other times too but good manners uually apply and traffic flows. I'm not sure where the displaced parent's cars can park more safely once they're banned but it needs to be somewhere more safe than at present.

Red lines mean no stopping, but when they're qualified by specific hours and are for short stetches they are more likely to be abused. Enforcement will be very necessary. In practice how much more effective will unenforced red lines be compared with unenforced yellow lines? Remote cameras are needed, not another vehicle with camera to add to the congestion.
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 17:37   #45
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 70,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner1 View Post
The school at that location is expanding and has two new entrances so there were not any school zig zags there.

Trams start at 5am and run till about 1am. Do you think allowing drivers to park on tram routes between 1am and 5am would be useful then?

Or is it simply better to send out a consistent message that you can't park on that route.
You do have a point there, the times when parking would be possible are useless, so 24 hrs is just easier.

---------- Post added 14-07-2018 at 17:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionman View Post
Im all for it. I bet at least 50% of commuting parents live within a 1.5 mile radius of school. WALK!
That's quite a walk to be honest. 30 mins there, 30 mins back, and then get in the car to go to work?

500 metres, less of an excuse, and parking right up at the school, no excuse, park 200 metres away and walk a little at least.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
Today, 12:01   #46
dave_the_m
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Total Posts: 108
From a young age (7?) to 12, I used to walk unaccompanied 0.7km to school; from 12 to 18, it was 2.1km. My parents didn't own a car.
  Reply With Quote
Today, 17:05   #47
cytine
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Total Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_the_m View Post
From a young age (7?) to 12, I used to walk unaccompanied 0.7km to school; from 12 to 18, it was 2.1km. My parents didn't own a car.
Dave I fully agree, from aged 11/12 I caught the bus from Gleadless Town End to Pond St then walked through town to St Vincent's, Solly St. Then moved to St Paul's now All Saints. Then I got off the bus on Queens Rd and along with many others WALKED yes actually WALKED up Granville Rd. It was all normal to us and pupils at other schools did the same. No school buses for us. Today's pampered little darlings would go into melt down if they had to do the same.
  Reply With Quote
Today, 17:41   #48
geared
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Total Posts: 12,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Enforcement will be very necessary. In practice how much more effective will unenforced red lines be compared with unenforced yellow lines? Remote cameras are needed, not another vehicle with camera to add to the congestion.
but how much will all these enforcement camera's cost to install, maintain and staff???

and as a tax payer are you happy with that amount of money being spent enforcing parking - could it be better spent elsewhere???
  Reply With Quote
Today, 17:54   #49
bassett one
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Total Posts: 2,372
wont work another labour council idea that cannot be enforced,at greenhill school they just park on the footpath and the bus waiting area,so no chance,may get odd few ,but this is another rule that spells failure,as in speeding in 20 mph zones,see them doing 60 plus every day on lowedges road,another labour disaster .
_______
huge reggae music event sun aug 12th top line up,free entry,greenhill park 120ft reggae marqee
see lowedges festival details,stalls wanted
  Reply With Quote
Today, 19:28   #50
Bargepole23
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Total Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassett one View Post
wont work another labour council idea that cannot be enforced,at greenhill school they just park on the footpath and the bus waiting area,so no chance,may get odd few ,but this is another rule that spells failure,as in speeding in 20 mph zones,see them doing 60 plus every day on lowedges road,another labour disaster .
How are the council to blame for people exceeding the speed limit?
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:53.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018