Bins they are a'changin

why cant we have a green bin that would help as well,i take it we will all receive a discount on our council tax for the profit made or is it another labour idea to cost us all more dosh.

why cant we have a green bin that would help as well,i take it we will all receive a discount on our council tax for the profit made or is it another labour idea to cost us all more dosh.

I don't mind them making a profit on the green waste if it helps the council budget but I object to having to pay extra for them to make money. If you look how many bins are out on a green bin day I bet it is about a quarter if that, of when they were emptied for free. So obviously people are putting green waste in the black bin which is going to landfill or incineration when it could be used for composting.

It costs the council ÂŁ31m to collect and dispose of the waste from 230k households. How much of your ÂŁ2.60 a week do you think would be a fair discount?

Why have some people become so lazy, wasteful and inconsiderate.

People used to spend a great deal of time and effort separating sorting and recycling their waste. In many areas kerbside collection was always the norm.

We create far more waste than we used to, in part because of our actions.

If you buy something (including packaging) it is your responsibility to dispose of it appropriately.

If you want a personal disposal service then organise it yourself or pay somebody to do it. Do not expect me to do it for you.

The Council will help you deal with it, but it is not a personal service and the Council are answerable to the laws of the land. The Council charge- help reduce minimize those charges.

If your disability is such that you need help, I will gladly support extra funding .

Who is this post addressed to and who are you?

Who is this post addressed to and who are you?

Sheffield Forum, Annie Bynnol.

Sheffield Forum, Annie Bynnol.

Why would anyone expect YOU to do anything for them? I found that a really odd thing to say.

You however just stated that you don't recycle and put it all in the black bin. Because you think environmental damage is someone else's problem and you have no social responsibility to help mitigate it at all.

What environmental damage is that? What I do put in the black bin gets burnt in the Veolia incinerator and helps to produce electricity which is sold on by Veolia, and the heat produced is then sold on to SCC who also make a profit by selling it on. Veolia are already struggling to keep the incinerator topped up for maximum efficiency and want extra rubbish brought in from other areas. Doing that actually increases the environmental damage a dam sight more than anything I do. The waste I dispose of,.. correctly ;) is less than one swing bin a fortnight.

What environmental damage is that? What I do put in the black bin gets burnt in the Veolia incinerator and helps to produce electricity which is sold on by Veolia, and the heat produced is then sold on to SCC who also make a profit by selling it on. Veolia are already struggling to keep the incinerator topped up for maximum efficiency and want extra rubbish brought in from other areas. Doing that actually increases the environmental damage a dam sight more than anything I do. The waste I dispose of,.. correctly ;) is less than one swing bin a fortnight.

So you're now claiming that there is no environmental benefit to recycling all of plastic, metal and paper. :loopy:

---------- Post added 16-07-2018 at 07:21 ----------

Why would anyone expect YOU to do anything for them? I found that a really odd thing to say.

As a taxpayer I expect. Like saying "I support extra funding for the police". Doesn't mean I'm expecting to put in millions myself, more that I support a few ÂŁ extra on the council tax if it's towards that funding goal.

What’s the environmental cost of manufacturing and distributing 230,000 brown bins? If it was combined with an improvement in the recycling provision you could understand it, but the only “improvement” seems to be a cost saving for Veolia, which may or may not be passed on to the council.

Well I will only be recycling 2 weeks out of the 4. My blue bin for bottles, tins and plastic is full every 2 weeks!

Your small blue bin for plastic & tins will be replaced by a full size brown bin. Your blue bin will then take your paper. But with the brown bin only being collected once every 4 weeks, I'm sure it will be overflowing just as quickly as your blue bin does now.

---------- Post added 16-07-2018 at 10:35 ----------

What’s the environmental cost of manufacturing and distributing 230,000 brown bins?

One penguin will develop a slight limp.

What’s the environmental cost of manufacturing and distributing 230,000 brown bins? If it was combined with an improvement in the recycling provision you could understand it, but the only “improvement” seems to be a cost saving for Veolia, which may or may not be passed on to the council.

Quite, not forgetting that they are made out of plastic as well. I presume the redundant blue ones will be collected and possibly get recycled or it may mean another penguin suffers... :)