Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

Yes it's mainly town / city driving. It is a diesel. Is there anything I could do? Thank you for your response

You've probably sludged the engine up, EGR, DPF etc will be full of crap.

Big garage bills are usually on the horizon.

You shouldn't be doing lots of city driving in a diesel, it just ends in tears.

Avensis 2006 T25_ [2003-2008] Hatchback 2.0 D-4D 1998ccm 93KW (Diesel)

Had this car for 11 years, hardly any problems.

It now has a starting problem from cold.

Turn key on, wait until dash lights go out the try starting it. It spins but sounds as though it is laboring. A couple of tries and the battery dies.

Tried a new 74ah battery. Same only except it keeps struggling several times then starts up and is completely normal.

Once it starts up, it is OK every time, until parked up for a while.

Had suggestions like in-line fuel pump, starter motor, and such.

Any advice appreciated.

Now at 77, and it was a side valve ford, I would be in my elements.

I would be starting with the basics here. When was the last time the air filter and fuel filter was changed? Oil is another one, I've had a fair few that was like Blancmange, some of which had actually thrown a rod. After that I would be looking at the glow plugs, would also recommend a compression test while they are out. Then you would be looking at the low and high pressure fuel supplies including pumps and injectors. this is all assuming the battery and starter motor is good.

How many miles has it done? And out of interest, is it using coolant?

You've probably sludged the engine up, EGR, DPF etc will be full of crap.

Big garage bills are usually on the horizon.

You shouldn't be doing lots of city driving in a diesel, it just ends in tears.

Interesting to see that Halfords now offer a DPF cleaning service - £85 - and recommend it should be done every six months!

Interesting to see that Halfords now offer a DPF cleaning service - £85 - and recommend it should be done every six months!

I'm 390000km into my BMW and it's never needed cleaning once.

Check with the diagnostics shows it's only about 9% clogged too the cutoff is about 60% before theres an issue apparantly....

---------- Post added 06-07-2018 at 10:20 ----------

An airbag lamp will only fail an Mot if it is illuminated, hence showing a fault.

If however it does not illuminate at all that would be a "Pass and advise".

In comparison, an ABS lamp has to illuminate and then go out, hence showing no fault. If however, the ABS lamp doesn't work at all this would be a reason for rejection, "Major Fail"

I'm not sure that all cars show you an airbag lamp at startup anyway. I dont think my old Focus used to at all but the later model one did..

I dont think my old Focus used to at all but the later model one did..

Someone had took the bulb out mate. ;)

Hi. Serviced 10 months ago including oil change. Done 62,000 miles. Coolant in but not changed, Never needed topping up yet. It does start from cold usually on the third attempt. The starter doesn't run smoothly, it sounds has though it is struggling.

Hi. Serviced 10 months ago including oil change. Done 62,000 miles. Coolant in but not changed, Never needed topping up yet. It does start from cold usually on the third attempt. The starter doesn't run smoothly, it sounds has though it is struggling.

Could be something simple like knackered glow-plugs or dodgy leak-off pipes, or an engine sensor, or fuel pump or bad compression.

Have you had fault codes read? That should be the first thing to do.

Thanks, I will get it read and see from then.

Just took sons car to pentagon for service. got a call

Saying engine management light on do I want to pay to put it on computer ,

Wasn’t on when car was dropped off ?

What do I do ?

Just took sons car to pentagon for service. got a call

Saying engine management light on do I want to pay to put it on computer ,

Wasn’t on when car was dropped off ?

What do I do ?

If you are absolutely sure that it wasn't on, then tell them that they need to investigate it at their cost as the car needs to be returned no worse than it was left with them. A good garage will do that. If they won't, tell them that you will pick the car up and take it elsewhere.

Main dealers usually operate service sheets/check lists, to ensure work is done to the correct standard and provide a paper trail should any issues arise.

First part should cover listing down any obvious faults before starting work.

If you are absolutely sure that it wasn't on, then tell them that they need to investigate it at their cost as the car needs to be returned no worse than it was left with them. A good garage will do that. If they won't, tell them that you will pick the car up and take it elsewhere.

Absolutely. It could just be co-incidence the light has come on, but more likely they could have damaged or forgot to reconnect something up after a service. If I had a pound for every EML that's come on after a clutch has been replaced or service done.....

In fact they should have just done the diagnostic and never even called you. All this has done is put unnecessary worry on you and called into question the quality of their services.