Devonshire arms middle handley

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

27-07-2016, 05:02   #21
Veritas

Total Posts: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyTup View Post
Am I right in thinking this is the same bloke that took on the Beauchief and made a complete mess of it? What hope in Middle Handley I wonder?

Don't think he was at The Beauchief. The last venture I remember him having was the Steak Bar The London Club I.e. The old Tuckwoods on Surrey Street. His most well known venture was probably Slammers on Ecclesall Road which I quite liked , I Also liked his mini bar at The Hunters Bar Roundabout.

I also think when the Devonshire was remodelled and relaunched quite a few years ago he was originally involved in the food side of things.
_______
Sheffield Wednesday PLC
Incorporated 1899 RIP 2011

Last edited by nikki-red; 27-07-2016 at 21:32. Reason: fixed the quotes
27-07-2016, 06:48   #22
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 2,826
Thanks Veritas, I don't come here often, but I remember you know what you're talking about, so your word is good enough for me!
27-07-2016, 09:36   #23
euroout23

Total Posts: 190
Quote:
Am I right in thinking this is the same bloke that took on the Beauchief and made a complete mess of it? What hope in Middle Handley I wonder?

No Cary had nothing to do with the Beauchief , that was Christian Kent and there was more to that story than people know! the last operators there were Richard Smiths Thornbridge and they are the ones that cocked it up.
you should try The Devonshire you wont be disappointed if you like fresh seafood and good steak its highly recommended.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Don't think he was at The Beauchief. The last venture I remember him having was the Steak Bar The London Club I.e. The old Tuckwoods on Surrey Street. His most well known venture was probably Slammers on Ecclesall Road which I quite liked , I Also liked his mini bar at The Hunters Bar Roundabout.

I also think when the Devonshire was remodelled and relaunched quite a few years ago he was originally involved in the food side of things.
spot on

Last edited by nikki-red; 27-07-2016 at 21:35.
27-07-2016, 21:31   #24
allwednesday

Total Posts: 1,047
Quote:

---------- Post added 27-07-2016 at 00:01 ----------

Not as friendly as Old Tom. I preferred their daughter myself but that's another story.

A walk through the woods and a pint for 2 shilling in the beer garden beneath the spreading chestnut tree - and a goodnight kiss from Tom's daughter. Bliss!

This is not meant to be a re-write of "Cider with Rosie" btw. It's my own, "Stones with Lisa".
Lucky you.
_______
Praise or grumble
17-07-2017, 15:00   #25
nowt2pctoday

Total Posts: 281
what a shame the Devonshire Arms at middle handley has closed they were doing a great job, we have had some fantastic meals out there.
is this another place that will remain empty ???
17-07-2017, 18:51   #26
jamesogt

Total Posts: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowt2pctoday View Post
what a shame the Devonshire Arms at middle handley has closed they were doing a great job, we have had some fantastic meals out there.
is this another place that will remain empty ???
Jackie and John Tompkins just bought it, will be open soon.
_______
When some people dig a hole for themselves they ask for a ladder, others just ask for a bigger shovel........
17-07-2017, 22:29   #27
top4718

Total Posts: 9,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwednesday View Post
Lucky you.
Not seen Lisa for years and years, short bob hair do if my memory serves, still see her brother Nigel now and again.

Last edited by top4718; 18-07-2017 at 22:51.
18-07-2017, 08:20   #28
nowt2pctoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesogt View Post
Jackie and John Tompkins just bought it, will be open soon.
big boots to fill
24-07-2017, 10:30   #29
Billam

Total Posts: 104
Quote:
Yes people would travel from miles around to sample the stones expertly pulled by old Tom the landlord I can't remember is wife's name though but she was a lovely lady.
I knew Tom and his wife, they used to bring their car into Kennings, Whittington Moor, lovely couple, sadly missed, kept a good pint.
24-07-2017, 21:45   #30
allwednesday

The food is very good here! But the new owner/chef Cary as a very nasty temper I over heard him being unbelievably over the top using four letter words and threatening one poor chap who stopped off in his car park to make a call on his phone the poor bloke looked terrified! Totally uncalled for! Like I said good food but I will not be going back! Don't like nasty people like him.

---------- Post added 24-07-2017 at 21:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billam View Post
I knew Tom and his wife, they used to bring their car into Kennings, Whittington Moor, lovely couple, sadly missed, kept a good pint.
Yes tom was a gentleman and his hand pulled stones was legendary
_______
Praise or grumble
24-07-2017, 22:45   #31
top4718

Total Posts: 9,149
Quote:
The food is very good here! But the new owner/chef Cary as a very nasty temper I over heard him being unbelievably over the top using four letter words and threatening one poor chap who stopped off in his car park to make a call on his phone the poor bloke looked terrified! Totally uncalled for! Like I said good food but I will not be going back! Don't like nasty people like him.

I think Cary Brown has left the place now.
25-07-2017, 08:16   #32
nowt2pctoday

Quote:

you overheard him in the carpark shouting at someone??? so you wont go back? even though the food is top notch

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 08:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by top4718 View Post
yes he has although the new owners will struggle i reckon
25-07-2017, 10:05   #33
AndyP728

Total Posts: 160
Any ideas why the place suddenly closed under Cary's ownership?

The were very vocal on the Dev's FB page that it was through 'no fault of their own'.

They also invited customers down to finish off the beer that was in left in the barrels as they didn't want to leave 'one drop in the barrels for those pair of <removed>'. Again, all noted on the Dev's FB page.

All seems very bitter?

Last edited by nikki-red; 25-07-2017 at 11:13. Reason: masked swearing
25-07-2017, 11:01   #34
nowt2pctoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP728 View Post

The were very vocal on the Dev's FB page that it was through 'no fault of their own'.

They also invited customers down to finish off the beer that was in left in the barrels as they didn't want to leave 'one drop in the barrels for those pair of <removed>'. Again, all noted on the Dev's FB page.

All seems very bitter?
it was very bitter and not for me to divulge as i dont know the full story only one side,but lets just say it wasnt Carys doing, they had great plans for the place and the rug was pulled from under them!! i think it will struggle going forward.

25-07-2017, 11:09   #35
Claret

Total Posts: 1,457
Quote:

All seems very bitter?
I don't think Carey owned it, I think he was cheffing there. I could be wrong but I don't THINK I am.

25-07-2017, 11:15   #36
AndyP728

Total Posts: 160
Quote:
it was very bitter and not for me to divulge as i dont know the full story only one side,but lets just say it wasnt Carys doing, they had great plans for the place and the rug was pulled from under them!! i think it will struggle going forward.
C'mon, give us a bit more than that.

Brewery issues? Anything to do with the new owners who now have the place?
25-07-2017, 13:08   #37
nowt2pctoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claret View Post
I don't think Carey owned it, I think he was cheffing there. I could be wrong but I don't THINK I am.
no he didnt own it (the building is owned by a charming couple ) but owned & ran the business and bought the so called lease fixtures and fittings etc

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 13:11 ----------

Quote:
C'mon, give us a bit more than that.

Brewery issues? Anything to do with the new owners who now have the place?
not my place Andy, no brewery involved its a free house as i understand and to do with new owners????? who knowsloads of back stabbers in the catering industry!!!
25-07-2017, 20:10   #38
allwednesday

Quote:
Glad to here it

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 20:22 ----------

Quote:
big boots to fill
Quote:
you overheard him in the carpark shouting at someone??? so you wont go back? even though the food is top notch

Yes that's correct ! Good food or not Cary was bullying this poor man can't stand bullying! Stuff his good food where the sun doesn't shine.
Stand up to bullies

Quote:
_______
Praise or grumble

Last edited by allwednesday; 25-07-2017 at 20:18.
26-07-2017, 08:46   #39
nowt2pctoday

Quote:
Glad to here it

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 20:22 ----------

Yes that's correct ! Good food or not Cary was bullying this poor man can't stand bullying! Stuff his good food where the sun doesn't shine.
Stand up to bullies

thats not bullying thats someone standing up for his business and someone using it without permission?? you cannot know the full story, he used to get people leaving their car as a free car park!!

Last edited by nowt2pctoday; 26-07-2017 at 09:57.
26-07-2017, 18:17   #40
allwednesday

Quote:
thats not bullying thats someone standing up for his business and someone using it without permission?? you cannot know the full story, he used to get people leaving their car as a free car park!!

I heard and saw the full story ! Cary are you using the pub tonight! Man in car no just pulled in to make a quick phone call! Cary well <removed> off out of my <removed> car park! That's not a good way to spread the good word about his pub is it. Stop trying to defend him you wasn't ever there! What if you was the man in the car making the call ! Would you think it was ok to be spoken to like that? I suppose you would have got out and shaken his hand or maybe send him a Christmas card.
Like I've already said the pub and food was fantastic nice log fire good ale etc! I've been going to the dev for around 30 years love the place ! Just witnessed another side to Cary from 2 minutes previous when he was dishing up top quality food very nasty change of personality.
_______
Praise or grumble

Last edited by nikki-red; 26-07-2017 at 20:20. Reason: masked swearing
Reply To Topic