New Statesman article

A current internet article by the New Statesman discusses the city being divided into Sd A and Sd B. It refers to Sheffield city council (purposely lower case) as being INCOMPETENT and COMPLACENT. I couldn't agrd more. Shame on you for bringing my paid for heritage in to disrepute both NATIONALLY and INTERNATIONALLY.

That article appears to be more critical of the wealthy side of Sheffield than is it of the Council.

It may be cynical, but when I hear people talking up Sheffield as “the largest village in England” I sometimes wonder if what they really like about the city is that they can effectively reside in a gated community, living day-to-day without ever entering Sheffield B. Even the city centre is segregated to some degree, with the boutiques and bookshops of Division Street and the Peace Gardens forming a marked contrast to Waingate and The Wicker, two shopping streets which appear to been consigned to a barely managed decline.

The lack of interaction between these parallel cities goes some way to explaining the shock that reverberated around Sheffield A when the city as a whole voted to leave the European Union, 51 per cent leave to 49 per cent remain. For the people on the right side of the line, it hadn’t even crossed their minds that over half of their fellow citizens had been left behind. It’s a tale of two cities.

That reminds me of how several years ago when the Council were putting money into the poor areas to try and bring their infrastructure/living standards/health conditions etc closer to those in the wealthier areas, people living in those wealthier areas, and the local Lib-Dem politicians who went on to take over the council, all complained that it was Labour rewarding their voters at the expense of others and that they were being unfairly treated.

Thanks for mentioning the article OP but it's really not about what you appear to think it's about and the divide it talks about existed long before this council.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

That article appears to be more critical of the wealthy side of Sheffield than is it of the Council.

That reminds me of how several years ago when the Council were putting money into the poor areas to try and bring their infrastructure/living standards/health conditions etc closer to those in the wealthier areas, people living in those wealthier areas, and the local Lib-Dem politicians who went on to take over the council, all complained that it was Labour rewarding their voters at the expense of others and that they were being unfairly treated.

Thanks for mentioning the article OP but it's really not about what you appear to think it's about and the divide it talks about existed long before this council.

Hasn't the author just described most big cities? Posh bits and poor bits?

A current internet article by the New Statesman discusses the city being divided into Sd A and Sd B. It refers to Sheffield city council (purposely lower case) as being INCOMPETENT and COMPLACENT. I couldn't agrd more. Shame on you for bringing my paid for heritage in to disrepute both NATIONALLY and INTERNATIONALLY.

your heritage was burnt as an offering to thatcher 35 years ago.

many of the issues mentioned in the article aren't actually the councils fault and even if they had more money they probably couldn't do much about many of them.

your heritage was burnt as an offering to thatcher 35 years ago.

many of the issues mentioned in the article aren't actually the councils fault and even if they had more money they probably couldn't do much about many of them.

:hihi::hihi::hihi: Blame Thatcher , standard . Don't blame the failing ,inept , amateur councillors , they are great . Its all Thatchers fault :roll:

:hihi::hihi::hihi: Blame Thatcher , standard . Don't blame the failing ,inept , amateur councillors , they are great . Its all Thatchers fault :roll:

largely it is thatcher's and subsequent governments faults

the perceived quality of some councillors may be a factor but that's hardly unique to sheffield and even if we had the best councillors in the universe what could they actually do to make things better?

largely it is thatcher's and subsequent governments faults

the perceived quality of some councillors may be a factor but that's hardly unique to sheffield and even if we had the best councillors in the universe what could they actually do to make things better?

Would you include Blair in that because you conveniently left him and others out ?:roll:

Hasn't the author just described most big cities? Posh bits and poor bits?

True but I think that the divide in Sheffield is one of the starkest in England. I just found it a bit annoying at the time when people were complaining on here about the Council actually attempting to change the situation.

Would you include Blair in that because you conveniently left him and others out ?:roll:

yeah, i probably would but the major damage was done during the thatcher years in the 80s