Help, They've stopped my DLA as didn't attend Assessment.

My friend has just returned from holiday in the UK for a month and during that period, his assessment was sent out and date given to attend. It was only when he returned he discovered he had missed the letter and appointment and has now received notification that his DLA/PIP has been stopped and they have now closed his claim and he can't attend another assessment unless he applies for PIP and starts his claim all over again. He rang the DWP, and they state being on holiday isn't a good reason!!! Surely going on holiday is a valid reason for not attending the assessment. Should he appeal? Is going on a pre booked holiday a valid and good reason for not attending an assessment?

Not good news I fear.

Warning: you must go to your assessment

You must go to your assessment otherwise your PIP claim will be rejected and you’ll have to start the application process all over again.

Contact your assessment provider straight away if you can’t make your appointment or if you’ve already missed it. If you’ve a good reason for not going they may reschedule it. The number to contact is on your appointment letter.

There are no rules on what is a good reason for missing an assessment but the DWP should take into account your health and things that may affect you like a family bereavement.

If your PIP claim is rejected because you missed your assessment, you can ask the DWP to change this decision. You must have been given at least 7 days’ written notice of the assessment date (unless you agreed to a shorter notice period).

This is interesting, but not really backed up by Law?..........https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/4896/

But appeal against the decision ASAP.

Be aware access to the Magistrates court in Sheffield is apalling for disabled people.

There's no disabled parking and no designated drop off point. The closest you can get by car/taxi requires at least a 250metre walk down a steepish hill and then of course back up it again later. Almost impossible for someone with walking difficulties.

but there is a parking space,but only having attended and complaining that i had to get a taxi as there was no parking ,i was told they had one space,but it must be booked,pity they dont tell you on the paperwork,also is it a catch ie if you can walk from the nearest which means a uphill climb,how ill are you?,i won but its a silly place to put a disabled court in a basement,plus the long down hill walk to the door,good job they have rails