Artists performing at Sheffield Theatres

For a project I'm involved in, I'm trying to track down any information on musicians, singers, actors etc who may have been performing in Sheffield Theatres, concert halls etc for the years 1936, 1938, 1943, 1953, 1958, 1964.

Not looking for exact dates. Any information welcome before I go and plunge into archives proper.

Got Ken Platt and Morecambe and Wise for 1953.

Edited by Person6

Hi Person6 - As I have mentioned on another thread, Laurel & Hardy appeared at the Sheffield Empire mid 1952, hope its of some use to you. fleetwood

Hi Person6 - As I have mentioned on another thread, Laurel & Hardy appeared at the Sheffield Empire mid 1952, hope its of some use to you. fleetwood

Hi. Yes, it's all welcome. Thank you.

Lonnie Donnigan (sp) 1957/8 At the Empire.

Crackin'! Thank you.

Thank you.

Doesn't surprise me at all. My first concerts were at the City Hall and the Gaumont in 1964/65 They were "package" tours- six or seven artists doing about 15 minutes each.

The Beatles at Sheffield City Hall, 9/11/64

If this setlist is right it can't have been a very long gig, must have been over in half an hour!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beatles/1964/sheffield-city-hall-sheffield-england-43dae30b.html

The Beatles first appeared in Sheffield in March 1963 at the City Hall (Helen Shapiro tour). They visited Sheffield four times that year (1963), the second being at the Azena Ballroom, White Lane, Gleadless in April.

Don't forget Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, and the Everly Brothers, All in the 50's. Gaumont and City Hall

All in the late 1950s' David Whitfield, Lonnie Donnegan, Harry Secombe, and others. Tried to go every couple of weeks or so.

The Beatles first appeared in Sheffield in March 1963 at the City Hall (Helen Shapiro tour). They visited Sheffield four times that year (1963), the second being at the Azena Ballroom, White Lane, Gleadless in April.

Yes - but the OP specifically asked about 1964

Yes - but the OP specifically asked about 1964

Indeed I did. I'm trying to tie down events around particular dates. I've been asked to contribute illustrations to a projected book and the request is to help with background information.

I can get hard information from various archives but personal and hearsay adds meat to the bones and often provides new directions to research.

For instance- The Small Faces were in Sheffield on May 21/22 1965. They performed a well documented gig at the Mojo but events leading up to that are varied and sometimes conflicting. I quote this one because I had a small personal involvement in that I saw them at the Ocelot Cafe on Bramall Lane sometime over that couple of days. There are conflicting accounts of which club they played a couple of numbers at before being paid off. There are solid accounts of them in the city centre before being taken off to meet various people before ending up playing the Mojo.

A plausible rather than definitive sequence of events is what I'm seeking in this and other cases.