Sheffield Gyms of the past?

Hello I was wondering if anyone on here knew of or went to any gyms in sheffield in the 50s , 60s , 70s & 80s what were they called? and where were they?

I am interested in hearing your stories of them

Thanks,

In the mid/late 80's I went to Olympic gym which was located on Bank Street above the Black Swan, moving to In-Trim at Manor Top when it first opened, and then to a gym in Banners building Attercliffe, not sure if it was called Peak Physique, or that might be the one I then moved to on Broadfield Rd?

Ah thats interesting what was it called on broadfield road ?

In the late 70s/80s I trained in an outbuilding next to The Old Harrow pub at Grenoside. The gym was run by Dave Platts, a bodybuilder who won a major competition ( Mr Great Britain ? ). It was like a sauna in summer and an ice box in winter when plenty of layers were needed. The subs were something silly like a pound a week. Later on, the gym was run by two brothers, Keith and John who lived on Parson Cross.

haha I can imagine it being like that I train in my garage and its like that thanks for your story :)

In the late 70s/80s I trained in an outbuilding next to The Old Harrow pub at Grenoside. The gym was run by Dave Platts, a bodybuilder who won a major competition ( Mr Great Britain ? ). It was like a sauna in summer and an ice box in winter when plenty of layers were needed. The subs were something silly like a pound a week. Later on, the gym was run by two brothers, Keith and John who lived on Parson Cross.

I know Dave from the hillsbrough Leisure centre where he trained but not seen him for yonks. Think he lived in that pub but not sure if it was run by his Son.

I trained at the Gateway gym on the Moor run by Dave Burgess from 89 and over the years trained at Knuttie's gym on West St and the other one West Street workout.

Use to do a bit up at Tony Tom's on Lane Top to.

All have long since gone

Ah thats interesting what was it called on broadfield road ?

im not sure. It might even have been the same gym relocating from Banners building to Broadfield Rd?

I know Dave from the hillsbrough Leisure centre where he trained but not seen him for yonks. Think he lived in that pub but not sure if it was run by his Son.

I trained at the Gateway gym on the Moor run by Dave Burgess from 89 and over the years trained at Knuttie's gym on West St and the other one West Street workout.

Use to do a bit up at Tony Tom's on Lane Top to.

All have long since gone

Yes Tony Toms, wasn't he once with Wednesday in some fitness role ?

Oh thats interesting do you any more about Dave Platts what was the competition he won?

I think Dave Platts won Mr. Great Britain ( or something similar ). This was in the late 70s.

He lived down the road from the pub and rented the outbuilding from Tony, the landlord.

It was Dave and a work colleague, Roger Jones, who got me and other local lads into bodybuilding.

Hi I went to Marti Caines Sherbert in the eighties, one was on the Moor and one on West Street, the Moor one was ladies only, think the West Street one was unisex ? can't really remember

Guest makapaka
Yes Tony Toms, wasn't he once with Wednesday in some fitness role ?

Yes - he worked there under Jack Charlton.