Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

Anyone that was fortunate enough to be at SIBA on Friday 18th in the afternoon would have already benefitted from generous quantities of free beer and free food thanks to the 'Cooking with Beer' demonstration by Nigel Slater, before the wonderful beer expert,Alex Barlow, came on to do his talk. After more free beer I was a little fuzzy on what he said about the opening of his new brewery and tap in Sheffield next month so have been chatting to him on Twitter about plans.

For those of you who haven't heard so far, he will be opening a full on brewery with tap room in an old carpet shop which, from what I can gather, will be just down from the Rutland. Tho maybe other people can give more details on the exact location. Link here:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Sentinel-Brewing-Co-1532073000389599/

According to Alex, the place will open on 11th April from which you can watch the final bits of the brewery installation going in whilst enjoying a beer. Should be worth a look!

With the Head of Steam provisionally booked to open around roughly the same time, April could be a good month for beer lovers in Sheffield!

it's on Shoreham St, just on the town side of St Mary's Road. There's a carpark in fron so building is set back from road a bit

They will be doing breakfast and coffee etc as well as beer. The brewery will take up quite a bit of space, then the 'cellar' and bar will be in front of that, with seating all down the right hand side. Alex did mention how many handpumps and kegs, but I can't remember. It was quite a few though! Unusually for Sheffield (and indeed the UK), there will be beer served direct from conditioning tanks as well

It's on my walk home from work, oh dear...

it's on Shoreham St, just on the town side of St Mary's Road. There's a carpark in fron so building is set back from road a bit

They will be doing breakfast and coffee etc as well as beer. The brewery will take up quite a bit of space, then the 'cellar' and bar will be in front of that, with seating all down the right hand side. Alex did mention how many handpumps and kegs, but I can't remember. It was quite a few though! Unusually for Sheffield (and indeed the UK), there will be beer served direct from conditioning tanks as well

It's on my walk home from work, oh dear...

Cheers Dave. I am fuzzy on that area of Sheffield but am sure I will find it!

True what you say about beer served from conditioning tanks. Tapped in Leeds is supposed to do it (but I think it's more show than actually happening) and there is a place in London that does it, but I can't think of anywhere else.

Strange than because I've just come back from Barcelona and been to more than half a dozen brewpubs there. One of which - NaparBCN - is exceptional, and has 3 beers served directly from tanks.

Tapped does, the one(?) in London is the new Howling Hops tank bar. It's quite common on the continent, not even exclusive to brewpubs - beer can be delivered by tanker into conditioning tanks in the pub

At the bar you wouldn't necessarily know it, the beer taps look like any other keg tap, it's just where the pipes lead... the staff don't physically walk to the tank to draw off a pint!

6 quid for a pint of something at 6.5% sounds about right. Although I had a Sentinel IPA the other night and it was bloody awful not to my tempo.

Had to have a bottle of Argy Bargy (which was terrific) to wash the taste away.

6 quid for a pint of something at 6.5% sounds about right. Although I had a Sentinel IPA the other night and it was bloody awful not to my tempo.

For a local cask ale , it`s very much `top end`. I found it the most drinkable of their range.... early days though and always like to be positive with reviews.

For a local cask ale , it`s very much `top end`. I found it the most drinkable of their range.... early days though and always like to be positive with reviews.

If it's simply 'top end local ale' then £6 a pint isn't going to win any friends! Especially in Sheffield. Can get a pint of Abbeydale Black Mass (6.66%) for £2 less than that in the Cat. You would almost manage a 7.2% Cloudwater IPA for that too - and that is significantly better than 'top end local ale'. But like you say it's early days, so will reserve judgement until I have been and tried.

At last we may get a pub that will serve Tartan Special! Or am I just wishing?

If it's simply 'top end local ale' then £6 a pint isn't going to win any friends! Especially in Sheffield. Can get a pint of Abbeydale Black Mass (6.66%) for £2 less than that in the Cat. You would almost manage a 7.2% Cloudwater IPA for that too - and that is significantly better than 'top end local ale'. But like you say it's early days, so will reserve judgement until I have been and tried.

I can't see it being added to a crawl in it's location unless you live / work nearby so the beer has to be an attraction in itself so they might as well charge top whack, still you'd have thought they'd have a £3 session pint so you can drag a few less enthusiastic friends along.

I can't see it being added to a crawl in it's location unless you live / work nearby so the beer has to be an attraction in itself so they might as well charge top whack, still you'd have thought they'd have a £3 session pint so you can drag a few less enthusiastic friends along.

True. I thought it may be a place to call in when I'm on my way back to the station via the Rutland - but from where I'm not sure. Even from the Beer Engine it's a bit of a detour. Maybe try it when the Peddler Street food Market is on in that area. I'm keen to see the place, but not at £6 a pint for average beer.

must admit I'm not sure how sustainable that price structure is. I've paid 6 quid and more for a pint (or equivalent for smaller measures at least), but usually high-strength (like double digits), imported from far away lands, or other expensive processes e.g. barrel-aging, adjuncts, etc. I wouldn't expect to pay that for a local 'straightforward' 6% beer. even the Tap would be unlikely to charge that!