On The (Old) Buses

Anybody remember those buses to town with the smoking upstairs?

In winter with the windows closed with all the snorting and coughing, it was like the TB ward at the hospital.

How about those comic bus conductors who rattled off street names, like a bingo caller?

Ranmoor Inn, became "Ram More In", and my own street, Hartopp Road, became "Hard Up Road"

And the trams. Going to work early on a dark winters morn, condensation running down the windows, rocking and rolling to Attercliffe in a fog of Woodbine and Park Drive smoke - you didn't need to light-up, just breathe-in the 95%, nicotine atmosphere. Great !!!

And the trams. Going to work early on a dark winters morn, condensation running down the windows, rocking and rolling to Attercliffe in a fog of Woodbine and Park Drive smoke - you didn't need to light-up, just breathe-in the 95%, nicotine atmosphere. Great !!!

Used to hate the trams when I was a kid.

Seems they always trundled me to the hospital or the dental clinic, and later to work.

Buses were good they took us downtown to the pictures or the pub, and out to Hathersage on the weekend.

How about those comic bus conductors who rattled off street names, like a bingo caller?...
And the one on the Ecclesall-Middlewood route 82, who when the bus stopped outside the West Bar hostel would announce "GRAND HOTEL". And if the downstairs was getting full and elderly people were getting on, he would call out "Seats upstairs for them as can climb"..:) Edited by hillsbro

Come and ride on old Sheffield buses and much more at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum in Rotherham on September 13th http://www.sytm.co.uk

Can I smoke a Woodbine, for old time's sake?

Promise to obey the sign, "Spitting Prohibited".

This made me laugh. I also remember on a single decker bus you could smoke if you were sitting at the back ......?? Blowing smoke over the shoulders of the people sitting in front of you ! What's amazing is we didn't know how anti social it was. Also my dad was a heavy smoker but did our clothes smell smokey ? I didn't think so. Was it just that it was so usual that we did not notice. Good topic Trastrick. To my shame I remember sitting next to my mother (a non-smoker) on the bus going to anti natal clinic at NGH and lighting up. Gave up the next day though as couldn't face going back next time still a smoker.This was 1974.

This made me laugh. I also remember on a single decker bus you could smoke if you were sitting at the back ......?? Blowing smoke over the shoulders of the people sitting in front of you ! What's amazing is we didn't know how anti social it was. Also my dad was a heavy smoker but did our clothes smell smokey ? I didn't think so. Was it just that it was so usual that we did not notice. Good topic Trastrick. To my shame I remember sitting next to my mother (a non-smoker) on the bus going to anti natal clinic at NGH and lighting up. Gave up the next day though as couldn't face going back next time still a smoker.This was 1974.

It was fun and at the same time it was sad.

Saturday nights us kids around the table split open all grandad's "tab ends" he had accumulated through the week.

With the tobacco he rolled new cigarettes.

He died at 58, and probably never realized that the tab ends had accumulated so much filtered carcagenic material that they were lethal.

---------- Post added 28-08-2015 at 21:29 ----------

And the one on the Ecclesall-Middlewood route 82, who when the bus stopped outside the West Bar hostel would announce "GRAND HOTEL". And if the downstairs was getting full and elderly people were getting on, he would call out "Seats upstairs for them as can climb"..:)

We watched "London Palladium" with Tommy Trinder and all that later and wondered what all the fuss was about. We lived and worked with so many every day talented comedians, they fell a little short.

Edited by trastrick

Can I smoke a Woodbine, for old time's sake?

Promise to obey the sign, "Spitting Prohibited".

Live abroad now, do they still sell 'Woodbines?" My mam used to buy them in 'fives' when it got nearer pay day!

Live abroad now, do they still sell 'Woodbines?" My mam used to buy them in 'fives' when it got nearer pay day!

Not sure.

I quit smoking about six months ago and my sister always brought me a pack of Park Drive from the U.K.

---------- Post added 28-08-2015 at 23:49 ----------

And the one on the Ecclesall-Middlewood route 82, who when the bus stopped outside the West Bar hostel would announce "GRAND HOTEL". And if the downstairs was getting full and elderly people were getting on, he would call out "Seats upstairs for them as can climb"..:)

You may be able to help me with this.

I recall as a kid having stacks of Sheffield bus tickets, blue, green, pink and grey. They seemed to be new and real.

Was I just dreaming?

---------- Post added 28-08-2015 at 23:51 ----------

You may be able to help me with this, Hillsborough?

I recall as a kid having stacks of unpunched Sheffield bus tickets, blue, green, pink and grey. They seemed to be new and real.

Was I just dreaming?

Seem to remember being told that the buses wheels were painted blue if the Tories ran the city or red if Labour were in power, is there any truth in this?

...I recall as a kid having stacks of unpunched Sheffield bus tickets, blue, green, pink and grey. They seemed to be new and real. Was I just dreaming?
Tickets were certainly of different colours for different fares. The ones I remember came in coils - here's a sample - which were issued from this type of machine, but earlier than that the tickets came in wads or stacks, sometimes stapled together. Here is a ticket of this type. But I'm not old enough to remember those tickets - honest I'm not!.:P