Sign in to follow this  

Cloudfront.net.. Malware webpage?

Hi...just been looking at a webpage (briskoda skoda owner advice blogs) when I followed a link to some info I wanted.... but it took me to a webpage (/dd2r90fatcfoi.cloudfront.net/index.html) which Locked me to the page it took me to ...telling me in aloud voice that the computer was infected with malware + that I had to "register" to remove it ...unable to close the page or navigate away …. I switched off at the mains (pulled plug out of socket straight away)

I have AVG antivirus the paid for version, but it did nothing to intervene... I've now scanned the computer with this but it finds nothing.. anything to worry about do you think ? what I'm concerned about really is that It knew where I was (Sheffield) and also gave an I P address

Thanks Bob

Locating your approximate vicinity by IP address is quite trivial, as is getting your IP address. I wouldn't worry about that specifically.

As you didn't click on anything or download anything you're probably okay, and you've run a scan which is good.

Most malware that can silently install through some kind of browser security flaw would do so without causing a fuss, specifically because it doesn't want you to kill the connection or process whilst it's installing. So most likely that is just a scam page that tries to get you to install something malicious yourself.

---------- Post added 19-09-2018 at 11:00 ----------

Re cloudfront itself

Cloudfront.net is a legitimate and safe content delivery network owned by Amazon, however cyber criminals are abusing this CDN to deliver malicious content.

Hi Cyclone .Thanks for this....Have now "deep scanned" the computer and found nothing at all to worry about, Hopefully! .but a little disappointed that the Avg failed to stop this happening in the first place.

Thanks again Bob