Base Green history?

Remember chip shop very well,was surname Hopkinson.When i was young we used to take in newspapers to be used for wrapping chips in and got a free bag of chips.

Remember chip shop very well,was surname Hopkinson.When i was young we used to take in newspapers to be used for wrapping chips in and got a free bag of chips.

Hi jackanne,you are correct the name over the chipshop was Hopkinson they had a several chipshops around Sheffield. Thanks for the newspapers ,I used to sort through them tear the large ones in half ,throw out any bad ones and stack them ready to go on the counter, don't think the health authoritys would allow it these days.

Hi bobbykins,I lived on seagrave crescent and i can remember the shops being built,i was about 6 years old,my mum was a regular customer at chip shop and so was i,your mum new me by my first name.The area is very run down now and half the shops are shut down.

The bloke who ran the chipshop at Base Green was my father, he did do a lot of things for St Peters but did not die on the church steps, but in hospital in Sheffield.

Gosh that was the rumour that scared us kids for years. I remember him, best fish n chips ever. Bless him. X

---------- Post added 28-07-2016 at 08:26 ----------

Speaking of the shops next door to the chippy was the greengocers, penny bubbly machine outside. Mr Hardwick?

Edited by puddinburner

I also remember post office,Freemans i think,and co-op.

And the little wool shop next door to Hopkinsons chippy.

Yes did'nt it used to be a wet fish shop before a wool shop.Also a co-op chemist further along and a hairdressers i think.

Can anyone remember the road from the Old Harrow to Birley Lane being call "The Nabb"?

The top of Fox Lane, the highest point in the area was the 'Nab'. I knew a chap who lived there and when he queried as to why his house insurance premium had been increased he was told it was extra cover for 'FLOOD'

They accepted the offer because Brian Epstein told them to (according to P.S.)

saying he (B.E.) would not renege-albeit verbal- on a business agreement which thrilled a lot of lads and lasses no end. 'Love Me Do' was in the lower reaches of the charts in October 1962 and by the time they got to the Azena, April 1963, they'd gone one better with 'Please Please Me.'

Hi,

I own the Challen Baby Grand piano that Zena owned and that John Lennon played April 63 as far as I know.

Does anyone have any photos of this?

---------- Post added 14-09-2018 at 17:13 ----------

They accepted the offer because Brian Epstein told them to (according to P.S.)

saying he (B.E.) would not renege-albeit verbal- on a business agreement which thrilled a lot of lads and lasses no end. 'Love Me Do' was in the lower reaches of the charts in October 1962 and by the time they got to the Azena, April 1963, they'd gone one better with 'Please Please Me.'

Hello,

I own the Challen Baby Grand Piano John Lennon played at the Azena in 1963. It was owned by Zena. Does anyone have any photos showing this?