Sheffield Forum

The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Home > General > General Discussions

Topic Closed

26-06-2018, 14:03   #10101
Top Cats Hat

Total Posts: 1,592
And Graphic Approach, Ballyhane, Earthstopper and Albatross!

26-06-2018, 14:07   #10102
truman

Total Posts: 20,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by retep View Post
A remoaner, confused as to whether he should jump country or not, couldn't quite make it to the finish.

Better than being a lemming I suppose...they all make the finish...for what good it does them..
_______
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left...

Last edited by truman; 26-06-2018 at 14:09.

26-06-2018, 14:12   #10103
L00b

Total Posts: 17,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobinfoot
When the referendum was announced I never heard anything said about it being advisory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobinfoot View Post
I know referendums are not legally binding in the UK.
Can you make up your mind, sometime?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobinfoot View Post
I believe if one is held then the democratic will of the people should be paramount.
Remember that sovereignty-reclaiming argument of the Leavers?

About 2 pages back, you’ll find a post of miné explaining to you that this “will of the people” guff is populist crap, because Parliament is sovereign in the U.K., not the British people. So says the highest Court in the land.

Last I checked, the U.K. thankfully still isn’t an ochlocracy and, if you want a referendum result to be binding (so the “will of the people” expressed in majority at the ballot box has to be respected), then either Parliament must make and vote it so; or, like eg Ireland, you need a written constitution that says it is so.

You didn’t get the first in the EU Referendum Act 2015 and you haven’t got the second, so you can either make your peace with the notion that the EU referendum was advisory only and that this “will of the people” haranguing is snake oil for the easily-led...or wallow in ignorance.

I’m really not bothered which, tbh: I’ve given you the (heavily-)abridged factual version as a primer, to either take as is, or to build your own research and inform your opinion from. You’re entirely free to dismiss it and continue buying the simplistic rethoric of millionaire ex-banker turned British pound-shorting insider trader Farage, and asset/fund manager stashing-it-in-Ireland-in-a-hurry Mogg
_______
Brexoded 14.02.18

Last edited by L00b; 26-06-2018 at 14:27.

26-06-2018, 14:28   #10104
I1L2T3

Total Posts: 15,332
Quote:
A remoaner, confused as to whether he should jump country or not, couldn't quite make it to the finish.
You know what, I think many leave voters have gone so far down the rabbit hole they can’t be reasoned with.

Do you think all these warnings from industry are just for fun.
_______
Brothers, sisters, we don't need that fascist groove thang

26-06-2018, 14:53   #10105
Top Cats Hat

Total Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by I1L2T3 View Post
You know what, I think many leave voters have gone so far down the rabbit hole they can’t be reasoned with.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

So many leave voters totally swallowed all the populist nonsense about leaving the EU and literally bet their future on it. Now that everything they were promised has turned out to be a big fat lie, they can't admit it, even to themselves.

For Peter, Carboot Mafya and all the other Brextremists who post on here.

A Message from Our Sponsors

26-06-2018, 15:04   #10106
retep

Total Posts: 8,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by I1L2T3 View Post

Do you think all these warnings from industry are just for fun.
Yes it seems so.

"BMW's Brexit U-turn: German car giant will NOT quit the UK in no deal scenario"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/97...airbus-siemens
_______
Death keeps no calendar or return tickets.

26-06-2018, 15:33   #10107
L00b

Total Posts: 17,465
Quote:
Yes it seems so.

"BMW's Brexit U-turn: German car giant will NOT quit the UK in no deal scenario"

There is no other difference than timescale, between “closing factories” (yesterday’s message) and “not pulling investment out” (which is the statement reported by your Express link): a factory starved of investment eventually closes (rather soon, in the premium automotive segment, as well), you don’t need to take anything ‘out’ or ‘back’ from it.

Interesting that your linked article reprises the low investment level of £347m this year (to date) in the automotive industry, relative to the full year total of £1.1bn last year; but then doesn’t push the investigative boat out to consider the 2016 (£1.6bn) and 2015 (£2.5bn) levels for the full trend. On the face of the full historical series, you’d swear “something happened” in 2016...
_______
Brexoded 14.02.18

26-06-2018, 15:49   #10108
truman

Quote:
Yes it seems so.

Another view on the car industry

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-car-industry
_______

26-06-2018, 15:51   #10109
retep

Total Posts: 8,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00b View Post
There is no other difference than timescale, between “closing factories” (yesterday’s message) and “not pulling investment out” (which is the statement reported by your Express link): a factory starved of investment eventually closes (rather soon, in the premium automotive segment, as well), you don’t need to take anything ‘out’ or ‘back’ from it.

Interesting that your linked article reprises the low investment level of £347m this year (to date) in the automotive industry, relative to the full year total of £1.1bn last year; but then doesn’t push the investigative boat out to consider the 2016 (£1.6bn) and 2015 (£2.5bn) levels for the full trend. On the face of the full historical series, you’d swear “something happened” in 2016...
Keep trying,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sp...6QEwDw#imgrc=_
_______
Death keeps no calendar or return tickets.

26-06-2018, 15:56   #10110
Obelix

Total Posts: 12,743
Quote:
Trying what?

Have you anyhting substantive to say at all on the matter? You've led this country down the garden path to mediocrity and economic stagnation and all you can come up with is a spinning top?
_______
Looks like Farage wants a second referendum... is he worried he's insecure...?

26-06-2018, 16:02   #10111
whiteowl

Total Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Trying what?

Have you anyhting substantive to say at all on the matter? You've led this country down the garden path to mediocrity and economic stagnation and all you can come up with is a spinning top?
To be fair, it's more than they usually come up with

26-06-2018, 16:04   #10112
Obelix

Total Posts: 12,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteowl View Post
To be fair, it's more than they usually come up with
Sadly you are entirely correct.
_______
Looks like Farage wants a second referendum... is he worried he's insecure...?

26-06-2018, 16:04   #10113
altus

Total Posts: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00b View Post
The head of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said much the same on the BBC news earlier today:
Quote:
I asked Mr Hawes what the effect would be if there was no "deal" with the EU agreed before the end of the year.

"It won't be an overnight closure but it could be a death by a thousand cuts," he told me.

"Gradually the competitiveness of the UK is eroded, making it that much harder to attract the investment, and it's the investment that makes it [the UK car sector] so competitive.
_______
Help your doctor prescribe the right drugs - sign up to alltrials.net

26-06-2018, 16:29   #10114
truman

If a group of people were able to make decisions that affected me I think I'd sooner be in that group than looking in from the outside wondering what they're going to do...and then having to fit in with whatever they decided..
_______

26-06-2018, 17:02   #10115
mort
BIKKIT !!!

Admin Team
Total Posts: 38,596
Yet again the moderating team have had to use their time to clear up your messes. Let me make this perfectly clear. Any further personal attacks will get all participants a permanent suspension.

The thread is going to be locked for a while so you all get a chance to read and understand this and to hopefully learn how to amend your posting styles.
_______
Dead rats don't squeak

Topic Closed