Is free speech a thing of the past in England.

I have noticed in the last few years that we as a Nation are now restricted as to what we can say or write .

This situation is now restricting every day conversation and leads to a Big brother type situation.

What would you like to say but can't?

I have noticed in the last few years that we as a Nation are now restricted as to what we can say or write .

This situation is now restricting every day conversation and leads to a Big brother type situation.

Can you give examples of things that are now illegal to say that were legal in the past?

Have you noticed it or do you think it?

Is it the fact that somethings you once thought acceptable (but weren't) are now becoming sensitive issues ?

I genuinely can't think of anything that is appropriate or correct in polite society that has been restricted.

If anything we as a society have become ruder, the past couple of years have seen an increase in reported hate crimes.

If anything we as a society have become ruder, the past couple of years have seen an increase in reported hate crimes.

I think that's what Albert is getting at .. a few years ago there was no such thing as "hate crime"..things are being criminalised that used not to be... remember characters like "Alf Garnett" and "Eddie Booth"?

I think society has always been rude and hoepfully some of that is being addresses, however i think the associated terminology of "hate crime" is a little overkill.

I would never insult anyone (unless i knew them personally) but insulting someone directed towards a physical identifying feature doesn't mean you hate them or the physical difference.

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 11:00 ----------

I think that's what Albert is getting at .. a few years ago there was no such thing as "hate crime"..things are being criminalised that used not to be... remember characters like "Alf Garnett" and "Eddie Booth"?

I watched some Freddie Star clips the other day and tbh even i had to flinch at some of the stuff as inappropriate.

I have a long standing offer for anyone who thinks they can't say something, to PM me and I'll say it for them. My inbox is still completely available.

I think society has always been rude and hoepfully some of that is being addresses, however i think the associated terminology of "hate crime" is a little overkill.

I would never insult anyone (unless i knew them personally) but insulting someone directed towards a physical identifying feature doesn't mean you hate them or the physical difference.

I watched some Freddie Star clips the other day and tbh even i had to flinch at some of the stuff as inappropriate.

Inappropriate maybe but it wasn't criminal then...it probably would be today..

True, it's more of a "prejudice crime" or something. But that sounds like nonsense.

So, interestingly, it's legal to insult someone in public, but if you refer to a protected characteristic does it immediately become illegal?

Or is it not that simple.

For example, if I shout "Oi, moron, use your indicators", that's rude right, whether it's justified or not, it's expressing my annoyance at the behaviour and criticising the mental faculties of someone.

If I refer to their sex or race at the same time, particularly in a negative way, like using the word for a female dog in that sentence for example, then it becomes a hate crime? Because whether they're male/female/black/white/green is irrelevant to the behaviour that annoyed me?

Guest makapaka
Can you give examples of things that are now illegal to say that were legal in the past?

I would imagine he’s talking about things which are perceived to be socially unacceptable rather than illegal and to a limited extent I would agree.

I watched Scrubs not that long ago and the running joke was the older (male) doctor calling his (male) protege different girls names every week. Can't see that being made now. Somebody in internet land had the hump because they thought Friends should be banned because it was homophobic!